CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Actually this is a better plan. PATH at 33rd to the Met is 3 miles. Certainly doable, but it could be a crowded walk in places. Right near WTC at Fulton St you can get the #4 or 5 train to 59th St to transfer across the platform to the #6 local train to 86th St.

From midtown thhe #1 to Rector St, the A,C,2,3,4,5 (or #6 to transfer to the 4,5) to Fulton St, E to Chambers St, and R or W to Cortlandt St,will take you to a station in lower Manhattan within walking distance of WTC.

http://web.mta.info/maps/Large_Print_Map.pdf

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask. We are probably taking Amtrak from Boston area to New York Penn station. Hoping to possibly find a hotel near Times Square and leave the next morning for a Princess Cruise out of Red Hook in Brooklyn. Advice on hotel near things to do mostly walking distance and best way to get around to get to Red Hook. I’m assuming Uber? Tips?. Appreciate it thanks

......happy sailing.....[emoji925] [emoji924] [emoji925] [emoji924] [emoji925]

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask. We are probably taking Amtrak from Boston area to New York Penn station. Hoping to possibly find a hotel near Times Square and leave the next morning for a Princess Cruise out of Red Hook in Brooklyn. Advice on hotel near things to do mostly walking distance and best way to get around to get to Red Hook. I’m assuming Uber? Tips?. Appreciate it thanks

Oct 31? What is your hotel budget? 2 people? Bed size requirements?

The La Quinta on W 32nd St is $220 plus tax - less with AAA, AARP, etc discounts. Last Feb I took Amtrak from Boston to NY Penn Station and just walked to the hotel. Subway was on the corner. Times Square was within walking distance. Hotel was very clean, modern and updated with free breakfast and free wifi. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it frequently on this board. It's a huge step up from the hotels next to Penn Station.

Uber to Red Hook. Taxi or car service are other options.

Oct 31? What is your hotel budget? 2 people? Bed size requirements?

The La Quinta on W 32nd St is $220 plus tax - less with AAA, AARP, etc discounts. Last Feb I took Amtrak from Boston to NY Penn Station and just walked to the hotel. Subway was on the corner. Times Square was within walking distance. Hotel was very clean, modern and updated with free breakfast and free wifi. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it frequently on this board. It's a huge step up from the hotels next to Penn Station.

Uber to Red Hook. Taxi or car service are other options.

Thanks will check it out. Just 1 queen or king for 2 people. Looking for a not so small room as I know many in NY are by reading reviews. Budget is subjective...don’t want to spend a fortune for part of a day. But do not want a dump either. Haven’t been to NY so hoping to get a taste of what it has to offer. Hubby wants to head to NY the day of cruise.,,I want to go the day before.

I did a quick look at that hotel...about $300 and up with taxes on Priceline. Will have to check directly. That is about what the other cheaper options have been.

Thanks will check it out. Just 1 queen or king for 2 people. Looking for a not so small room as I know many in NY are by reading reviews. Budget is subjective...don’t want to spend a fortune for part of a day. But do not want a dump either. Haven’t been to NY so hoping to get a taste of what it has to offer. Hubby wants to head to NY the day of cruise.,,I want to go the day before.

I did a quick look at that hotel...about $300 and up with taxes on Priceline. Will have to check directly. That is about what the other cheaper options have been.

Do NOT take Amtrak the day of the cruise. It looks like you're on a repo cruise, so if you miss the ship, it will be a real mess. I cruise from Cape Liberty and ALWAYS come down the day before.

The direct price on lq.com is showing at $220. This hotel is not a dump. Some of the New Yorkers stay there when they do an overnight in the city, which is why I tried it and it greatly exceeded my expectations. They have Queens and kings, which is unusual in Manhattan. I went to the 911 Memorial, the Freedom Tower, and to a Broadway show.

Do NOT take Amtrak the day of the cruise. It looks like you're on a repo cruise, so if you miss the ship, it will be a real mess. I cruise from Cape Liberty and ALWAYS come down the day before.

The direct price on lq.com is showing at $220. This hotel is not a dump. Some of the New Yorkers stay there when they do an overnight in the city, which is why I tried it and it greatly exceeded my expectations. They have Queens and kings, which is unusual in Manhattan. I went to the 911 Memorial, the Freedom Tower, and to a Broadway show.

Thank....yes with a AARP discount it is $198 before taxes. Room reviews are 75% positive I would say. Main concern is location. Looks like it isn’t as close to Times Square as we were hoping. Also, I would need to find some vegan friendly places to eat for me and definitely a Starbucks lol.. Thanks,,,i will keep your suggestion in mind.

Has anyone ever done the City tour following debarkation back at Cape Liberty.

We are sailing the Celebrity Summit and will probably disembark around 9.00am. Our International flight back to the UK is not until 7pm, so need to decide how to fill the time.

Hiya, just wondering what you eventually did to fill your day? We are travelling next month, flying home to Edinburgh at similar time. Your help appreciated.

Thank....yes with a AARP discount it is $198 before taxes. Room reviews are 75% positive I would say. Main concern is location. Looks like it isn’t as close to Times Square as we were hoping. Also, I would need to find some vegan friendly places to eat for me and definitely a Starbucks lol.. Thanks,,,i will keep your suggestion in mind.

You're only staying one night. It's only about .7 miles to Times Square - 10 blocks up Broadway. One stop on the subway or a quick Uber or cab ride. New York is awash with food of all kinds.

Consider the noise factor as well. A Times Square hotel could be a lot noisier than being on a side street off 6th Ave that is not a through crosstown route (Penn Station blocks 32nd St).

Not sure when you will be in Manhattan, for vegan food here are a few links to assist in finding something to your liking/location.... good luck.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Vegan+Restaurants&find_loc=New+York%2C+NY

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/restaurants/best-vegan-and-vegetarian-restaurants-in-nyc

http://www.grubstreet.com/bestofnewyork/absolute-best-vegan-friendly-restaurants-in-nyc.html

Sorry I did not compact the links...

bon voyage

Hiya, just wondering what you eventually did to fill your day? We are travelling next month, flying home to Edinburgh at similar time. Your help appreciated.

We took the RCI New York bus tour in Sept '18, which I assume will be the same as the Celeb one. It was fine. Not many stops (a quickie for someone to get a picture of the Bull on Wall St). The main stop was by the 9/11 memorial and pools. I think we were there about an hour. Long enough for photos, but not to go to the museum or anything. Toured round more of the city and dropped at Newark airport (you can get a tour that drops at JFK too) about 2.30pm. It was a good way to 'waste' a day and not worry about luggage. If you are flying BA out of Newark, be aware that the check in desk does not open until 3.30pm ('cos they only have evening flights).

Simon

Not sure when you will be in Manhattan, for vegan food here are a few links to assist in finding something to your liking/location.... good luck.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Vegan+Restaurants&find_loc=New+York%2C+NY

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/restaurants/best-vegan-and-vegetarian-restaurants-in-nyc

http://www.grubstreet.com/bestofnewyork/absolute-best-vegan-friendly-restaurants-in-nyc.html

Sorry I did not compact the links...

bon voyage

Thanks! Hadn’t started googling yet...,thanks for the head start!

You book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to take you to JFK. The Cape Liberty taxi dispatcher will get you transportation as well, but you can't prearrange it.

Ok I installed the Dial 7 app in my iPhone, thank you

Hello, a friend and I are cruising from Port Liberty on Sunday on the Celebrity Summit. We are staying separately with family. Is there a place close to the port anyone would recommend to meet up instead of meeting at the port? I'm concerned that meeting at the port might be too hectic?

Hello, a friend and I are cruising from Port Liberty on Sunday on the Celebrity Summit. We are staying separately with family. Is there a place close to the port anyone would recommend to meet up instead of meeting at the port? I'm concerned that meeting at the port might be too hectic?

I would not worry about it being too hectic...

Just make a plan to meet outside the entrance or just inside if weather is inclement, which is currently forecasted... which may or may not affect Cape Liberty.

bon voyage

Cruise terminal is in the middle of the nothing. Meet at the terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just saw that the Bayonne Bridge closed last night at midnight and will not reopen until 3 pm on Sunday. Is the Casciano Memorial Bridge the Bayonne Bridge?

https://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/release-article.cfm?headLine_id=2983&facilityItem=Bayonne%20Bridge

No - the Casciano Bridge is more commonly called the Newark Bay Bridge and connects exits 14 and 14a on the NJ Turnpike

• 4 weeks later...

This is the first time I'm sailing from Cape Liberty with 3 ships. If you end up parking in the overflow lot outside, when do you pay? Is it like before the new parking garage, and you pay when you enter, or do they have the machines like they do at the garage?

This is the first time I'm sailing from Cape Liberty with 3 ships. If you end up parking in the overflow lot outside, when do you pay? Is it like before the new parking garage, and you pay when you enter, or do they have the machines like they do at the garage?

Yes it is. Just pay at the kiosk by the garage and go to your car. You will give the receipt to the guys at the gate on your way out.

Yes it is. Just pay at the kiosk by the garage and go to your car. You will give the receipt to the guys at the gate on your way out.

I know about the garage parking. I'm trying to find out if you park in the over flow open lot across the street. Are you saying that you still go to the kiosk by the new garage and pay, and then go to the open lot across the street to get your car?

I know about the garage parking. I'm trying to find out if you park in the over flow open lot across the street. Are you saying that you still go to the kiosk by the new garage and pay, and then go to the open lot across the street to get your car?

I understand that. You do just like you do at the garage and give the receipt to the guy at the gate at the overflow lot.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2018 at 2:27 PM, schagpal said:

Awesome. You are great. Will look into now.

Ron

THANKS  138east.  

Your advice was followed.  Last month, after driving into the area and quick stop at EWR we stayed at La Quinta Meadowlands for 2 nights.  Worked out perfect.  Parked the car out front on arrival and didn't touch it for 2 days.  Road the bus to/from NYC at a few bucks each (sr rate) - wow talk about convenient.  Ride back each night after shows was quick/convenient. Hotel quality is more than "tired" but for what we wanted/expected it was fine.  Mall 1 block away and shops across street/around corner.

Thanks again,

Ron