Pre- Exisiting Condition

palermo22

As shown with my other posts - getting trip insurance is fairly new to me - but this should be a fairly simple question to the experienced travelers out there. We paid our deposit last November for our trip to Asia and Australia late November 2018. Our final payment is due at the end of May. We have not yet purchased travel insurance - and will be depending mostly on our Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. I was going to supplement the Chase card with another $10,000 policy from Allianz. My questions:

Suppose I have a torn muscle in my thigh - which is healing. The injury is just about healed when I break a toe or have my appendix out or anything that has nothing to do with my previous injury. Now I understand that if I go on my cruise and that same muscle acts up and tears again - that would be a PEC - but would the other examples I give - which have nothing to do with a torn muscle in my thigh - would those other examples be a new condition since they have nothing to do with my thigh?

As shown with my other posts - getting trip insurance is fairly new to me - but this should be a fairly simple question to the experienced travelers out there. We paid our deposit last November for our trip to Asia and Australia late November 2018. Our final payment is due at the end of May. We have not yet purchased travel insurance - and will be depending mostly on our Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. I was going to supplement the Chase card with another $10,000 policy from Allianz. My questions:

Suppose I have a torn muscle in my thigh - which is healing. The injury is just about healed when I break a toe or have my appendix out or anything that has nothing to do with my previous injury. Now I understand that if I go on my cruise and that same muscle acts up and tears again - that would be a PEC - but would the other examples I give - which have nothing to do with a torn muscle in my thigh - would those other examples be a new condition since they have nothing to do with my thigh?

You'd need to check the EXACT wording of the precise policy you are considering.

And I'd (again) suggest asking precisely this question of

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

as they have several policies from several insurers, etc.

However, about your question...

We have a variety of "medical conditions", so we don't dare get insurance that excludes pre-existing conditions (for the cost of medical care OR the reason for cancellation/interruption).

But we have considered this issue, because each of us had a large claim due to medical emergencies (one causing a last minute total cancellation; one resulting in hospital care overseas *and* almost a week spent where we hadn't planned to be, nor had we paid for that hotel as part of our trip).

And although we don't think either medical problem was due to any pre-existing condition, we can all too easily imagine a not totally twisted "explanation" of how it "would be or might be related" to a pre-existing condition.

And we'd have no way to "prove otherwise".

It's just too risky, unless someone truly has almost no "medical history".

And then there's the precise definition of "pre-existing condition"...

One other comment: We think that the speed of processing our claims may have been at least in part because there was NO need to search through any recent medical records, because it wouldn't have mattered if they found the exact same medical problem or not.

[Note: There is always that important "fit to travel" on the day the insurance is started.]

It can get tricky.

I'd trust TripInsuranceStore folks.

They've never led us astray, and we've had some complex questions of the "what if this, what if that" sort, to make sure we had the right policy.

GC

When we were (much) younger we did not "bother" with travel insurance. Now I get the shivers thinking about all the things that could have gone wrong! Older and wiser, I guess. We won't go without at least medical and evacuation coverage, and making sure PECs are waived. If it is a relatively inexpensive trip we may forgo cancellation coverage. Just make sure to really check the policy to ensure that it really covers what you think it covers! We have gotten burned...

If you have current medical coverage thru a private policy or medicare, GeoBlue has no pre-existing requirements and no deductible.

We have their annual coverage but they have single trip offerings, too.

Basically, your question is moot.

Travel Insurance companies require you to cover ALL non refundable travel expenses if you want PEC exclusion.

It sounds as though you want to reduce your costs by covering your cancellation, trip delay, luggage coverages thru your Chase card, while getting medical only coverage thru a 3rd party travel insurance provider.

Basically, your question is moot.

Travel Insurance companies require you to cover ALL non refundable travel expenses if you want PEC exclusion.

It sounds as though you want to reduce your costs by covering your cancellation, trip delay, luggage coverages thru your Chase card, while getting medical only coverage thru a 3rd party travel insurance provider.

Not sure what you bare trying to say. But you are correct - it is a moot point. While Chase will cover us with 95% of non-refundable expenses - we will take out a policy from our travel agent which gives us emergency medical and transportation and a few other items that may or may not be covered by Chase. As far as our actual medical expenses - in addition to what the travel agent policy will cover (through Allianz) - through work (I am retired) I have a health insurance policy that covers actual medical expenses anywhere in the world. Not trying to make money on having this supplemental policy - just want to be sure we are adequately covered.

Not sure what you bare trying to say. But you are correct - it is a moot point. While Chase will cover us with 95% of non-refundable expenses - we will take out a policy from our travel agent which gives us emergency medical and transportation and a few other items that may or may not be covered by Chase. As far as our actual medical expenses - in addition to what the travel agent policy will cover (through Allianz) - through work (I am retired) I have a health insurance policy that covers actual medical expenses anywhere in the world. Not trying to make money on having this supplemental policy - just want to be sure we are adequately covered.

Wasn't implying that you were trying to make money or scam anyone.

As I understood your situation is that you have cancellation coverage, trip delay coverage, lost baggage coverage, etc. thru your Chase card.

You have basic medical thru work and Alliance.

Now, you asked about PEC.

To get PEC coverage, you would be required to cover everything you already have covered, just to get the additional PEC. Thems the rules by the 3rd party insurance providers. And there is only 1 company that I know have that sells it at this late date in your booking process.

Called Chase yesterday - she asked when I put down my deposit - it was last Fall (either September or October). She told me to count back 60 days - she asked me if there was any incapacity or illness during those 60 days. I told her that there was nothing. She told me that was good - that there were no PEC that would preclude us from filing a claim should something go wrong on our trip.