Hotel Suggestion Santiago, Chile

lesliew

We are arriving in San Antonio, December 23rd. We have a Transfer with Tour booked for the 23rd from San Antonio to Santiago.

Our flight does not depart until 9:00 pm on December 24th.

This means we have the Evening of the 23rd and most of the day on the 24th to see Santiago.

My question is - should we book a hotel at the Airport and then set out from there for the day on the 24th?

Or, book a hotel 'downtown' the 23rd, tour around the 24th, then make our way to the airport in the evening?

I am not familiar with Santiago, so not sure where the 'tourist' area would be for us to stay?

Thanks.

LeslieW

We went through Santiago twice last winter. We stayed at the airport and we stayed in town. We picked up a rental car at the airport after staying in town and dropped it off the night before an early flight.

I would recommend getting a hotel in the city. There are lots of choices....if you are not certain on location you could do a little research on line.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have just come back from 2 nights post cruise in Santiago and loved it, I was unsure originally and was going to spend some time in Valparaiso but port changes made that more difficult. I would recommend staying in a hotel near one of the metro lines, in particular line 1. Santiago is a vast city with many interesting areas which are far apart unlike many cities where most of the action/sights is in the middle and walkable. Most of the old town and interesting colonial architecture buildings are in El Centro around Plaza De Armas but you can use the metro to get to any of the other areas its really cheap and easy. Most of the central areas of Santiago, El Centro, Las Condes (modern), Bellavista (student, lively buzzy ) seemed perfectly safe with a strong police presence, the outer areas towards the railway station for example not so much, they are much poorer areas.

We did a great deal of walking in Santiago. We never felt unsafe-even at night.

We stayed at Ibis Estacion. For several reasons. It was beside the bus depot where we arrived from Valparaiso. It was on top of he subway system which we found very convenient for getting around town. It was beside the the bus depot where we got a bus directly to the airport. Basic hotel. We did spend a fair amount of time in Bellavista. That area would have been one that we would consider.

One drawback of the hotel was that there were not many good restaurants in the area. It did not bother us as we were out and about most evenings.