advice for a new -to-HAL cruiser on Zuiderdam?

dundeene

Okay so the banner with the FLASHSALE sucked me in!

We have cruised Oceania 9 times, and thought about trying HAL next.

We are booked SZ on Zuiderdam for November 26th and are seeking input and advice from all of you experienced HAL sailors.

What do we need to know?

Where did you have your favorite meal?

Any advice about this ship?

Any hints about hidden gems on the winelists?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Welcome, we are on the same cruise it seems. I am excited as the Zuiderdam will be fairly fresh out of dry dock with all of the new upgrades. We have not been on the Zuiderdam but on two of it's sister ships (Westerdam & Oosterdam) & really like them. We think all the food is good but we aren't picky. Do a dinner in the Pinnacle grille. Walk the promenade, go up to the Crows Nest (although it will be called something different by then) and just enjoy!

Have not yet sailed on a Vista class ship, but HAL tips from me are: Canaletto is better than you might think -- and we don't even eat pasta! -- and in the MDR, the crumbles (or whatever they are called) are almost always my favorite dessert, although I'm not sure the form translates well to tropical fruit. Berries, apples, or stone-fruit tho', are yummy!

I will be on the Zuiderdam on Sept 30th, New York to Quebec. Will post after cruise. Have been on the Oosterdam and Westerdam in Alaska and enjoyed them both. You are lucky to be sailing right after the refurbishment!!!

Cathy

Have not yet sailed on a Vista class ship, but HAL tips from me are: Canaletto is better than you might think -- and we don't even eat pasta! -- and in the MDR, the crumbles (or whatever they are called) are almost always my favorite dessert, although I'm not sure the form translates well to tropical fruit. Berries, apples, or stone-fruit tho', are yummy!

I think they're called crisps - apple crisp, cherry crisp, etc..

Roz

In my opinion HAL is definitely a step down from Oceania. However, you will enjoy your Neptune suite and the Neptune lounge. You may also lose a little weight. Food is so so, but much better in the Pinnacle Grill.

SZ is a signature suite, not a neptune suite. No Neptune Lounge access.

We sailed Celebrity and it was a step down for the quality of food vs Oceania. The Blu restaurant was good, but the buffett not so much. The crew were friendly as were our shipmates. We had a wonderful time. We want to branch-out and try other lines. If we look for good fares on different lines we can cruise more often. (never a bad thing;))

We are looking forward to sailing on HAL for the 1st time. It is my brother's favorite cruiseline and he has sailed this ship and ports. He has wanted us to try HAL for years. He loves having the same waiter nightly which doesn't happen on Oceania.

We will book a few nights in the specialty restaurants and take an upsell to Neptune if offered.

The price dropped $200/person right after we booked and HAL adjusted the price for us. We are very happy with the precruise customer service!

I was wondering if there are any activities such as the following onboard the Zuiderdam as well. I know they have a swimming, volleyball, and basketball court, but do they have any of the following active game opportunities for adults?

PingPong

Shuffleboard

Bocce ball

Miniature golf

etc.

I can't find any mention of these things, which may suggest they do not have them.