Chops v Giovanni's - Anniversary Dinner Decision!

Hi all! Help me decide! We are on the Jewel in March and wanted to do a nice (delicious) dinner for our anniversary. I currently have reservations made for Chops Grille but I've seen both good and bad about it.

Would you opt for Chops or Giovanni's?

Just some background -- we've never done either restaurant and are huge fans of the Carnival Steakhouses. A great steak is what we are mostly after. :D

Thanks!

I found Chops to go downhill the past four years, its not what it used to be. We were on the Allure a year ago and Chops was disappointing back then, we went on the Harmony this past May had reservations for Chops for two evenings and after the first evening dining there cancelled the second evening. On another note, Giovanni's is our most favorite specialty restaurant out of them all, following 150 Central Park. You can get a wonderful filet mignon at Giovanni's should you be interested in beef/steak.

The past year when we are on Carnival cruises, we dine at the steakhouse each and every evening as we do not care for the food in the MDR....Carnival has the overall BEST steakhouse, always a perfect wonderful meal there, but when we dine at Chops there are hits and misses (more misses and disappointments) and quite honestly last year I said I would not go back to Chops but found myself trying Chops again in May on the Harmony to say never again.

Maybe really splurge and treat yourslves to Chef's Table. It is truly a special

experience!

Chef's table is totally awesome.

But then you are sharing your anniversary with other guests. I'd do it for a different dinner.

Chops has been more miss than hit for us the last few cruises. We always go there hoping they got better, but they haven't. Food is OK, the service is terrible. We will probably try again the next cruise, I don't know why. Giovanni's hasn't disappointed us yet. Just can't get a steak there.

Burt

Chops has been more miss than hit for us the last few cruises. We always go there hoping they got better, but they haven't. Food is OK, the service is terrible. We will probably try again the next cruise, I don't know why. Giovanni's hasn't disappointed us yet. Just can't get a steak there.

Burt

What ship I got steak there 4 months ago on Liberty?

Been to Chops 3 times over the past 5 years. 1st was very underwhelming, but the last 2 have been outstanding! Most recently on Harmony the staff was outstanding, food was incredible, and by far the best meal we had on the whole cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I love a good steak, I think I would recommend Giovanni's. Incredible food and service. I had their Osso Bucco and it was the best I'd ever had anywhere. They had this mushroom risotto that was perfectly prepared. It was just a wonderful meal!

I think Chops still has beef filet. Giovanne's removed their better beef cuts from their menu.

I don't know what ship you were on where the filet was removed from Giovanni's. I say that because we sailed on Allure in January and last month and both times the filet was available. I haven't seen any better steak than that on Giovanni's menu.

We also went to Chops and both times we went there 3 out of the 5 nights we went to specialty restaurants. We had the best steak, now there are ribeye steaks in Chops as well as those that have always been available. Our service was absolutely wonderful an when we sail again, we will be back there at least 3 times.

I also thought the ambience in Chops was far nicer than that in Giovanni's. I know shorts at dinner are a touchy subject, but our last visit to Giovanni's included a family of about 10 with the men all in gym shorts, ball hats and tee shirts. They also had children that did whatever they wanted while the parents ignored them. Nothing was said to any of them and there were others around them, as were we, who weren't pleased with having the kids come up to the tables and try to take bread. I know this is not the norm, but it still made for a weird dining experience.

Thank you for this question! I was having the same dilemma with our anniversary dinner. But, after reading comments, we will do chops, mostly for ambiance, then for food. It'll make a romantic time for our anniversary dinner! Happy anniversary to you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums