Motion sickness Tablets

Hey guys, we are taking my in-laws away on a cruise and they are panicking about feeling sick. Where in the UK can you get cheap motion sickness tablets? We've never encountered anything in the past but if it puts the mother in law at ease it has to be a winner!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Just curious - why do you want cheap motion sickness tablets? Is it because they are your inlaws and you don't care if they work or not?? LOL- just joking.

It is a very good idea to get some tablets locally and try them before you sail to see if the side affects are tolerable, especially if you already take allergy medications (meclizine is an antihistamine). Lots of folks just use ginger ale, ginger tablets or apples. In the US they sell the generic medications in grocery stores. Drug stores (chemists) also have store brands that are much cheaper than buying brand-name Bonine.

First-time cruisers do tend to worry a lot!

I use Dramamine "less drowsy" version and it does the trick. No drowsiness or negative interactions with alcohol. I can't speak to what's handed out on the ship, but I wouldn't get on the boat and swallow a pill that I've never taken before, unless it was an emergency. Figure out what your body tolerates before you get on the ship, and then shop accordingly.

Bonine is my favorite motion sickness pill! It works really well. Now, I use the ear patch instead. It works just as well, and doesn't make me sleepy...

I get the dry mouth thing with the patch.

Hey guys, we are taking my in-laws away on a cruise and they are panicking about feeling sick. Where in the UK can you get cheap motion sickness tablets? We've never encountered anything in the past but if it puts the mother in law at ease it has to be a winner!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

You can get sealegs from most UK pharmacy's or Boots own brand.

Which ship and where are you cruising from/to?.

On the bigger ships you feel little or no movement.

We've also had really good success with Hyland's Motion Sickness tablets. It's safe for children and adults, and you can dissolve them under your tongue as needed. They taste sort of pepperminty, with no side effects!

In the UK meclizine used to be available as Traveleeze but they stopped selling it a few years ago. I've not been able to find it here since so I now always stock up on Bonine when in the US as that is what seems to work best for me.

If you are unlucky enough to hit really rough seas even the biggest ships will have some movement so I think it's always best to be prepared.

Julie

You will feel motion on any ship. Good weather, bad weather, the seas are always moving. The ship offers free medication if you need it.

Disagree.

As others have posted...without high winds and/or rough seas...feeling motion on the larger ships is a major challenge. On our Oasis cruise last week, we brought 3 first-time cruisers along...and all 3 stated repeatedly that they felt no motion whatsoever except for the last day when seas were somewhat choppy...and even then...they said they hardly felt anything.

I think people posting about ship motion sometimes exaggerate to the point where they deter others from experiencing things themselves firsthand. We've now been on 5 different larger ships with 8 different first-time cruisers...and to a person...ALL of them said they virtually felt no motion 90%+ of the time.

For those who do and actually have a problem with it...the medication is onboard and readily available.

Disagree.

As others have posted...without high winds and/or rough seas...feeling motion on the larger ships is a major challenge. On our Oasis cruise last week, we brought 3 first-time cruisers along...and all 3 stated repeatedly that they felt no motion whatsoever except for the last day when seas were somewhat choppy...and even then...they said they hardly felt anything.

I think people posting about ship motion sometimes exaggerate to the point where they deter others from experiencing things themselves firsthand. We've now been on 5 different larger ships with 8 different first-time cruisers...and to a person...ALL of them said they virtually felt no motion 90%+ of the time.

For those who do and actually have a problem with it...the medication is onboard and readily available.

For years i put off cruising because i had experienced motion sickness on trains and coaches.

We have now done 45 cruises and only been sick once and that was in a force 11 going through the infamous,

Bay of Biscay.

For years i put off cruising because i had experienced motion sickness on trains and coaches.

We have now done 45 cruises and only been sick once and that was in a force 11 going through the infamous,

Bay of Biscay.

Happy crusing!

That raises a good point on the topic...motion sickness typically affects people on planes, trains, and/or even automobiles...as well as cruise ships. Roughly 5-10% of people in the overall population are affected with one or more locations of this condition. Women seem to be affected more than men according to medical statistics.

On the bigger RC ships we rarely feel any movement.

We are just off the Allure (2nd,,, or now 3rd largest cruise ship in the world). Sailing in "calm" seas, there was movement. Water sloshing in the toilet. Closet and bathroom doors swaying and slamming. Movement.