Bonine vs. Dramamine vs. Phenergan

AurorFlame

Hi all, just a quick question about these three motion sickness medications in particular!

I've been on two cruises in the past. On the first one I wore the patch and assumed I'd be totally fine so I didn't take anything as backup. I did get sick on one day, but was mostly fine. On my second cruise I was sick when I got on board and had Zofran and used the patch. I had an allergic reaction to the patch and was told to remove it and was given Bonine. I was completely drugged that entire cruise and barely remember any of it.

This time I'm trying to be prepared as I can be since I know I won't be using the patch. My plan is to take *something* at night and then take 1000mg ginger pills in the morning and afternoon. I once took Bonine on a whale cruise and still got sick, but I know the boats are entirely different experiences. I had gotten some Phenergan from my doctor in case I do get sick, but then my mom told me it prevents motion sickness too! So now I'm wondering which of the three I should be taking at night.

Which of these three have you taken to prevent seasickness and what was your experience? Do you think taking one at night of any of them will be enough? I really don't want to have to take any of them during the day because I would like to actually remember this cruise. Which have you found to be the strongest? Thanks in advance!

Okay here is my take on the medications.

1. The patch: my brother is a pharmacist and years ago when i was looking at the patch, he said for me not to use it because of the side effects. I do not do well with a lot of meds.

2. I take Meclizine which i buy in Sams or Costco. I do not have any problems with getting sleepy while using this. I start by taking one at night a couple of days before i go on vacation. While on the cruise, i will keep taking it at night. If it is going to be a really rough day i also will take one in the am.

3. Phenergan is not there to prevent motion sickness. It is only to be taken once you are since it is to relieve motion sickness. It WILL make you sleepy!

4. Small boats: i cannot go on them unless the water is glass. Even when i am taking Meclizine i can get sick.

BTW: i can get sick while driving a car on curvy road.

hope this helps.

Okay here is my take on the medications.

1. The patch: my brother is a pharmacist and years ago when i was looking at the patch, he said for me not to use it because of the side effects. I do not do well with a lot of meds.

2. I take Meclizine which i buy in Sams or Costco. I do not have any problems with getting sleepy while using this. I start by taking one at night a couple of days before i go on vacation. While on the cruise, i will keep taking it at night. If it is going to be a really rough day i also will take one in the am.

3. Phenergan is not there to prevent motion sickness. It is only to be taken once you are since it is to relieve motion sickness. It WILL make you sleepy!

4. Small boats: i cannot go on them unless the water is glass. Even when i am taking Meclizine i can get sick.

BTW: i can get sick while driving a car on curvy road.

hope this helps.

This is great info! I agree with not using the patch - I had some scary side effects! That's what I thought about Phenergan too, but my mom insists that it's used as prevention. I'll definitely just keep it on hand in case I do get sick. I found some meclizine on Amazon, so I think I'll get that!

As I understand it, Bonine is a brand name for the generic drug called meclizine. I'm not sure why, when that's the case, that they would work differently. But, I've noticed that, too.

I haven't taken Dramamine in a long time because it makes me too sleepy and the patch made my vision blurry. I have no experience with Phenergan.

I find the best way to treat motion sickness is to be pro-active. Get rest, stay hydrated. I take Bonine before bed-time so it's no big deal if it makes me sleepy. If needed, I take a generic meclizine during the day with a meal. If I still feel queasy I go up on deck, partly for the fresh air but also looking at the horizon orients your brain to the feeling of motion.

As I understand it, Bonine is a brand name for the generic drug called meclizine. I'm not sure why, when that's the case, that they would work differently. But, I've noticed that, too.

I haven't taken Dramamine in a long time because it makes me too sleepy and the patch made my vision blurry. I have no experience with Phenergan.

I find the best way to treat motion sickness is to be pro-active. Get rest, stay hydrated. I take Bonine before bed-time so it's no big deal if it makes me sleepy. If needed, I take a generic meclizine during the day with a meal. If I still feel queasy I go up on deck, partly for the fresh air but also looking at the horizon orients your brain to the feeling of motion.

Thanks! I think I'll end up getting Bonine/meclizine to take at night and take ginger pills during the day. And looking at the horizon is why I always have to have an ocean view room! It definitely helps!

Hi all, just a quick question about these three motion sickness medications in particular!

I've been on two cruises in the past. On the first one I wore the patch and assumed I'd be totally fine so I didn't take anything as backup. I did get sick on one day, but was mostly fine. On my second cruise I was sick when I got on board and had Zofran and used the patch. I had an allergic reaction to the patch and was told to remove it and was given Bonine. I was completely drugged that entire cruise and barely remember any of it.

This time I'm trying to be prepared as I can be since I know I won't be using the patch. My plan is to take *something* at night and then take 1000mg ginger pills in the morning and afternoon. I once took Bonine on a whale cruise and still got sick, but I know the boats are entirely different experiences. I had gotten some Phenergan from my doctor in case I do get sick, but then my mom told me it prevents motion sickness too! So now I'm wondering which of the three I should be taking at night.

Which of these three have you taken to prevent seasickness and what was your experience? Do you think taking one at night of any of them will be enough? I really don't want to have to take any of them during the day because I would like to actually remember this cruise. Which have you found to be the strongest? Thanks in advance!

Each person's metaboloism is different, so what works for one person might not work for someone else. I use Bonine in its generic form, meclazine. I don't take it unless seas are rough or I feel a bit queasy. Within 30 minutes I'm feeling fine. Bonine is supposedly non-drowsy. The fact it knocks you out shows how different your metabolism is.

Now that you have received advice from the medical experts on this forum, you can talk to your pharmacist or medical provider and get professional advice.:)

Spot on. When I need a medication I don't take a poll of random strangers to see what they prefer.

Personal experience - not medical advice!

Bonine (Meclizine) and Phenergan (Promethazine) are effective at preventing travel sickness, but if you start feeling ill and then take them it's often too late as you won't be able to keep them down. I've seen a few people have that problem; it's not pretty. The fix is a trip to the medical centre and an injection of Promethazine. Effective but not cheap!

Personally if it's going to be a lumpy I'll take Meclizine as the only side effect for me is a slightly dry mouth.

But the sea state is forecast to be very high or worse (i.e. 30 foot and higher which it can do in the Atlantic) I'll take Phenergan as it has the side effect of sedating me very effectively so I'll easily sleep for 8 hours or so.

VP

We take Bonine and ginger capsules every night before bed. Neither of us have gotten seasick and we have been in some very rough seas and very high swells.

Dramamine I tried one time when they used to have a gambling boat that went out of Galveston. It made me feel really awful, so never again.

I'm not familiar with the third option.

She is just asking what others have done. I would assume that yes she would actually talk to her doctor to find what is right for her.

No harm in asking what has worked for others.

Just because a medication has worked or others doesn't mean anything. All of us probably take different medications for different reasons, and I would worry about the adverse effects anyone of the medications recommenced would have with the medications I take.

So I don't see how medications that works for others would help me.:)

I've used the patch and bonine. Agree, in a small boat in rough seas, nothing will help. On a cruise ship the patch works well for me. If seas get rough I do feel it and while I wouldn't say I was sick; def felt a bit off. Bonine had the same level of effectiveness for me.

Biggest problem for me with the patch is dry mouth and the fact that I have to see a doctor. Bonine doesn't make me drowsy and is cheap OTC. So prefer bonine over that.

Now, I have taken phenergan and that does knock me out. Would put that on the lowest spot on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums