Just off the Spirit ... A few thoughts ...

flydc

We were on the same cruise as Flydc and Sequay, although we never met them. We've written a lengthy review of the cruise, which we rated as three stars; but it hasn't yet been posted by CC. Maybe in the next day or two.

We are quite surprised by their comments on several of the restaurants. If there were pool deck buffets, we might have enjoyed them - but communication was so poor that we never heard about them. As for the pizza restaurant, Scaccanapoli, I guess the other two were lucky, while we were unlucky. We came into the restaurant a bit after 3:30 (so the grill was closed), and said "we're very hungry: how long will it take?" They said 10 minutes, and didn't mention that they had ice cream. (We found that out on the next to last day of the cruise, when Joan ordered ice cream at the grill and they went up to Spaccanapoli to get it.) After 20 minutes, we asked "where's the pizza", and were told that a large group had ordered just before us. We looked around a pillar, and saw a group of 11 people eating pizza. Why didn't they tell us either about the group or about the ice cream? We finally got the order after 35 minutes, and it was incorrect. The pizza margarita was burned, and they brought a ham pizza when we had ordered mushroom. Inedible for us! In short, other than food allergy foul-ups (which we also had on this cruise), Spaccanapoli was quite possibly the worst food experience, both in service and food, we've ever had on a cruise ship. We did not try it a second time.

While I'm happy that other people had good experiences at Spaccanapoli, our awful experience shouldn't have happened on a luxury cruise ship.

Spaccanapoli implies (as Silversea clearly states) a Neapolitan pizza.

The pizza should therefore take a few seconds to assemble and between 60 to 90 seconds at 900f+ to bake. It should be possible to read an order, bake it and plate it within 2 or 3 minutes.

Assuming they can cook at least six at time it really shouldn’t take more than around five minutes or so to plate the first six and another few minutes for the last batch, because they will be assembled whilst the first batch are in the oven. Your pizza should have been with you in the 10 minutes or so - give or take - and it implies a lack of trained staff. Somewhat confirmed by the inability to deliver what was ordered.

Our experience of Spaccanoploi was atrocious. We went to the grill at 3.00 after returning from an excursion looking for food. We were told they had finished so we had to go downstairs for lunch. We went “downstairs” and couldn’t find anywhere so we went back asking did they serve afternoon tea anywhere. We were sent to the panorama lounge that don’t serve afternoon tea. We went back to the grill a third time and we were told to go upstairs and order a Pizza which we did. When it arrived it was absolutely inedible it was dry and brittle on the outside and collapsing and full of water in the middle. It was absolutely pitiful. This was all in the first few days after the stretch but the crew had no idea about what was served where and when and made no effort to find out, just kept sending us on a wild goose chase. Very very very poor food, very very poor service and certainly not what we were expecting.

It is remarkable how many mention the inability to simply serve what has been ordered. On the Whisper trip we recently completed we had 14 room service breakfasts between us. Not one was exactly as ordered.

When I wanted a bagel, I got a muffin. If I then did the obvious and order a muffin , I got a pastry instead. If I ordered 3 rashers of bacon I was “rashoned” to one. If we ordered poached eggs we got hard boiled eggs. For mushrooms I got tomatoes. If we ordered some cold plates as well as hot breakfast they decided which we could have - but not both. I ordered two hash browns and got one. So next day I ordered one for mymwife as well. VOILA -two. My wife yearned for a banana ... it never arrived - she got melon insead. It almost felt like it was a sport and done on purpose.

Sorry we didn’t get to meet up Joandjoe, the night of the meet and mingle we had a dinner reservation ashore so could make it.

Agree the buffet on the pool deck at lunch time wasn’t in the daily chronicles, possibly because they are weather dependant. We like sitting out for lunch, and following the shambles queuing in La Terrazza tended to head for the pool deck if on board so found out about the buffets that way. The dessert buffet one evening was in the chronicle I seem to remember.

The ice cream is served next to where the pizzas are cooked on deck 10. There is a dedicated member of staff who will serve you if you go there or you can ask your waiter for the flavours available and they will get it for you. Having done a galley tour we know all is made onboard as they have a very expensive ice cream machine onboard.

If anybody else wants to know what food offerings are available on the Spirit the review here on cruise critic is very comprehensive.

Would also agree with UKCruiseJeff that if ordering breakfast room service it is a lottery. You are also lucky if it is more than Luke warm.

I also still find it hard to believe that if you order toast in La Terraza and don’t order butter separately you get dry toast, unfortunately I am not Elwood Blues and like butter with my toast.

Reading posts on cruise critic regarding Silversea, no matter what the topic somehow the charity donation gets bought up. I do wonder if people actually read the letter that comes to the cabin, or look up the charity and see what they do. Personally we don’t mind donating to a charity set up to support palliative care , and also donate to the crew welfare fund when we are onboard. Perhaps if the charity wasn’t named in memory of Mr Lefebvre’s sister Marruza people wouldn’t have such an objection.

The option not to pay is clearly mentioned, and if it is such a problem for people who have cruised with Silversea before why not say upon check in you don’t want it added to your account?

Will await the angry replies.

Reading posts on cruise critic regarding Silversea, no matter what the topic somehow the charity donation gets bought up. I do wonder if people actually read the letter that comes to the cabin, or look up the charity and see what they do. Personally we don’t mind donating to a charity set up to support palliative care , and also donate to the crew welfare fund when we are onboard. Perhaps if the charity wasn’t named in memory of Mr Lefebvre’s sister Marruza people wouldn’t have such an objection.

The option not to pay is clearly mentioned, and if it is such a problem for people who have cruised with Silversea before why not say upon check in you don’t want it added to your account?

No angry reply here -- thank you for saying what I have been thinking. That charity is definitely a favorite for bashing, regardless of how off-topic it is. Like you, I think supporting palliative care is a good use of a buck a day for me, but even if I didn't, I would find the easy-to-use opt-out form a fine solution. And then I wouldn't think of it again until the next opt-out form arrived. The never-ending complaints sure sound to me like they are really about something else, using the guise of a charity opt-out as a means to keep the negativity fresh.

For contrast, the SS opt-out form is far better than my having to tell the supermarket checker I don't want to add an extra dollar for charity every time I get groceries. For the record, I do not add an extra dollar for "the Jimmy Fund" when I get groceries, and I hate being asked every danged time. That is far more intrusive and constantly in-my-face than SS's palliative care charity easy opt-out form ever will be. It certainly isn't an abomination warranting such outrage.

The charity isn’t a favourite for bashing - it is the method of collection for it which I think is being complained of.

As Dave hinted, I think the reaction would have been more muted if the owner matched all contributions from his own pocket, but decent people I think do feel uncomfortable about asking for it’s removal and therefore feel either somewhat coerced if they notice it, or deceived if they feel they might have otherwise missed it having noticed it by chance.

An alternative which would be much more beneficial is if Silversea incentivated the completion of satisfaction surveys with a contribution for each survey completed. This method increases participation and is a great way of raising cash for pet charities.

My point was, no matter what the topic somebody always seems to take the opportunity to post about the charity and so the thread moves off in another direction.

If somebody is so agreived about the charity or it’s way of collecting why not start a thread about it and use that to discuss the charity and leave other threads discussing the topic they were originally started for.

My point was, no matter what the topic somebody always seems to take the opportunity to post about the charity and so the thread moves off in another direction.

If somebody is so agreived about the charity or it’s way of collecting why not start a thread about it and use that to discuss the charity and leave other threads discussing the topic they were originally started for.

But you expressed a detailed opinion about it, but then complain it is off topic. :)

I do wonder if people actually read the letter that comes to the cabin, or look up the charity and see what they do. Personally we don’t mind donating to a charity set up to support palliative care , and also donate to the crew welfare fund when we are onboard. Perhaps if the charity wasn’t named in memory of Mr Lefebvre’s sister Marruza people wouldn’t have such an objection.

I have been confused about the charity topic whenever it comes up. A dollar a day for palliative care is a concern when we are spending many thousands for a cruise? I understand that it is the choice issue, but really...if this can make a sick and suffering person’s life one tiny bit easier I’m okay with that. If you don’t agree then tell them.

The charity charge was only mentioned because it reveals a systemic issue with SS that they charge for things other lines do not, in this case the alternative restaurants and the charity.

It is neither about the charity or about wealth. It is about the principle of one person saying to a complete stranger “unless you notice and tell me otherwise i am going to charge you without asking you first, an amount that I have decided for a contribution to my favourite charity.”

As Dave hinted, I think the reaction would have been more muted if the owner matched all contributions from his own pocket, but decent people I think do feel uncomfortable about asking for it’s removal

This is worrisome. I guess I am not among the "decent people" because I ask for the removal on every cruise and feel no discomfort.

As for the owner matching contributions: Were he to do so, there would doubtless be complaints that he was bragging about his charity, that what he contributes to the charity is no one else's business, &c.

In any case, this may all become moot shortly if the new majority owner RC decides to pull the plug on this solicitation.

This is worrisome. I guess I am not among the "decent people" because I ask for the removal on every cruise and feel no discomfort.

As for the owner matching contributions: Were he to do so, there would doubtless be complaints that he was bragging about his charity, that what he contributes to the charity is no one else's business, &c.

In any case, this may all become moot shortly if the new majority owner RC decides to pull the plug on this solicitation.

Each to their own Observer, it’s not that your not a decent person at all but as a typical Brit I feel hugely uncomfortable being forced into this position. It’s difficult to explain but to me the action of having to go and tell someone that I want my contribution to be withdrawn tells that person that either 1) I think the charity is not worthwhile or 2) I’m too mean to contribute anyway.

As for the owner / company offering to match the contributions, that is in no way bragging, that is an encouragement of their belief in the good work of the charity and a reassurance to people. Nobody is asking to know what the family/company donate but as it stands they are shaming people into donating without offering any sort of assurance that they donate a single penny themselves. People i’m Sure would take some reassurance from knowing that each dollar they donated was doubled and feel a lot less uneasy about the whole cloak and dagger thing.

Each to their own Observer, it’s not that your not a decent person at all but as a typical Brit I feel hugely uncomfortable being forced into this position. It’s difficult to explain but to me the action of having to go and tell someone that I want my contribution to be withdrawn tells that person that either 1) I think the charity is not worthwhile or 2) I’m too mean to contribute anyway.

I take your point. I should perhaps have mentioned -- as I have in previous threads on this topic -- that I use the occasion of my opt-out visit to Reception to make my (IMHO fairly generous) contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund. So I hope that the person staffing Reception and doing the paperwork for my contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund imagines that I am possessed of at least a scintilla of decency. :)

I take your point. I should perhaps have mentioned -- as I have in previous threads on this topic -- that I use the occasion of my opt-out visit to Reception to make my (IMHO fairly generous) contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund. So I hope that the person staffing Reception and doing the paperwork for my contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund imagines that I am possessed of at least a scintilla of decency. :)

Please don’t take this the wrong way Observer but the way you say you use the occasion to make your other contribution implies you may feel a little shamed by having to do this?

Please don’t take this the wrong way Observer but the way you say you use the occasion to make your other contribution implies you may feel a little shamed by having to do this?

No offense taken. I take no joy in opting out of the Silversea charity, just as I take no joy in rejecting the requests to buy The Big Issue or provide funds to people in apparent grave need begging on the street. But I feel no shame and am by now hardened to the necessity of politely and sympathetically saying "No. Sorry." on a nearly daily basis. Such is contemporary life (and it has probably been thus forever). I focus my charitable giving on a single organization that I believe is addressing social/human problems in an effective and cost-effective way.

I think I will cease contributing to this thread -- especially since a subject-specific thread has been established on this matter.

I think the fees are designed to control demand in the "speciality restaurants." They are simply not large enough to accommodate everyone on a seven or perhaps even ten night cruise. There are of course several "alternative restaurants" (depending on the ship) to which there is unlimited access without charge. Silversea is not unique in charging for speciality dining. Crystal, for example, assesses a charge for the Vintage Room restaurant.

Crystal provides a limited number of free speciality dining, depending on the number of cruise nights, and your status in the Crystal Society. For full World Cruises, there is unlimited usage of the speciality restaurants, depending on availability. Once you exceed the number of allowable usages in their speciality restaurants, there is a $30 charge.

Sorry that some people didn't enjoy the pizza place. We were lucky I guess but were happy each time. We spent time speaking with the hard working server and she was super nice to us. We ordered it extra sauce and well done. It came that way. The server asked if it was perfect or if we needed her to do something else. She couldn't have been nicer. It did take awhile though. Not a quick serve place I guess.

As for room service - I ordered via our butler every morning. It arrived perfect every morning. I explained exactly what I was looking for from my butler (Tarik from Egypt). He delivered and did it perfectly every day. Also asked if he could do anything else or get anything else. He took good care of us and we took good care of him. We frequently bring chocolates or pastries or treats from port stops for our butler and cabin steward. They work so hard and seldom are able to enjoy the ports.

As for the charity - and I know nobody asked - but I feel I have been fortunate in life, and while I do give to my own selected charities at home - I take no offense to SilverSea's leadership promoting their charity and doing their best to support it. Face it, if you are on SivlerSea - you likely can afford the few dollars here and there for those less fortunate. (Sorry not on a soapbox and certainly respect others' opinions and right to opt out ... I choose to opt in ...)

Sorry that some people didn't enjoy the pizza place. We were lucky I guess but were happy each time. We spent time speaking with the hard working server and she was super nice to us. We ordered it extra sauce and well done. It came that way. The server asked if it was perfect or if we needed her to do something else. She couldn't have been nicer. It did take awhile though. Not a quick serve place I guess.

As for room service - I ordered via our butler every morning. It arrived perfect every morning. I explained exactly what I was looking for from my butler (Tarik from Egypt). He delivered and did it perfectly every day. Also asked if he could do anything else or get anything else. He took good care of us and we took good care of him. We frequently bring chocolates or pastries or treats from port stops for our butler and cabin steward. They work so hard and seldom are able to enjoy the ports.

As for the charity - and I know nobody asked - but I feel I have been fortunate in life, and while I do give to my own selected charities at home - I take no offense to SilverSea's leadership promoting their charity and doing their best to support it. Face it, if you are on SivlerSea - you likely can afford the few dollars here and there for those less fortunate. (Sorry not on a soapbox and certainly respect others' opinions and right to opt out ... I choose to opt in ...)

I like the way you think! I found it interesting that the two newest reviews of the Spirit couldn't have been more different. One absolutely gushed the good news and the other one couldn't have been worse...they just didn't like anything!

We've been fortunate to meet many wonderful crew members over time, on SS and the other lines we frequent. We always ask them if there is something special that they might want or need from shore. We've gotten them many odd things from phone cards to socks! The best request was from one of our room stewardesses who thought a moment and then asked for a good looking young man! giggle! They work very hard and are so appreciative of little things.

The charity doesn't bother us either.....to each his own.

Ahhh, memories. Tarik was our butler on our last Spirit cruise and he was wonderful.

Thanks for your thoughts. We leave in 4 days for Spirit cruise. I was hoping to see a list of the complimentary wines prior to our boarding. I will ask when we board. Will report back on our cruise when we get home.

Happy Sailing

Neilio

Sent from my iPad using Forums