Cruisers who like to read...

ariesknowbest

I don't have anything specific, but I couldn't help but think of Ernest Hemmingway. I was addicted to his books when I was in high school.

Thanks small side note my mother was from Spain and met him once. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love reading. I have about 140 on my Nook right now waiting to be read. I mostly read sappy romance novels - hey, I'm single so doesn't hurt to dream! :) I do enjoy cozy mysteries too. I do have Anne of Green Gables waiting to be read. I'm sure by the time I get to my cruise next year, most of these current books will be read and I'll have downloaded 100 more! (Got to love BookBub and some of their freebie books!)

My mom also loves reading, but she still prefers real books - although I like real books too, just mostly travel books these days. I'm sure we'll be finding a nice cozy spot with a glass of wine and enjoy each others company while reading and watching the people and the sea.

DD & I both have a coffee mug that says " A day without reading is like...Just kidding, I have no idea"

I also have a T shirt(DD has a tote bag) from Monticello (Jefferson's home) that has one of his quotes "I cannot live without books"

About 10 years ago, we took a 9 day trip to WDW in Florida, so my younger DD (11 @ the time) & I filled a small suitcase with books for the trip! Of course, this was before the days of baggage restrictions--sigh.

Another vote for the Harry Potter books -- saw the first one many years ago @ a book sale at my daughter's elementary school-- looked interesting, so I bought it. I immediately bought the next 2 in the series after that, pre-ordered 4, 5 & 6 when they were available to do so, & went to the midnight party @ my local Barnes & Noble for the last one (DD came with me for that one). We actually sat in the car & read for about 10 minutes before driving home & I actually stayed up til 5am to finish it (keep in mind, I had to be at work @ 730 am after that!)

I read historical romance, mysteries, YA fiction -- loved The Hunger Games, & also The Atlantis Grail series -- hoping the last one comes out before the cruise, although I don't think it will. Rick Riordan's various mythology series (Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus/Trials of Apollo (Greek/Roman), Kane Chronicles (Egyptian), & Magnus Chase (Norse)) are also fun to read.

I have an E-Reader (Kobo, more flexibility than a Kindle), and lately I've been reading the old uncopyrighted classics that you can download for free. I think a good read for a cruise would be The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, since he's a sailor and it's full of action and adventure. I also enjoyed Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, and Vanity Fair by William Thackeray.

As for newer books, the best one I read in awhile is a Swedish novel, in English it's called "The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson. It's like a Swedish Forrest Gump, and it was very funny for people who like history.

Just back from a cruise on the Pride. I took a copy of "Dangerous Crossing" by Rachel Rhys. It was fantastic.

I read each afternoon for a break from all the activities and excitement. The warm days out on deck and the cooler ones in a comfy seat somewhere by a window.

I finished it and am now longing for more books along the same lines. Any suggestions?

You might like most any book by Dominic Dunne. Also books like The Woman in Cabin 10, The Girl Who Came Back, The Magpies, The River at Night, All the Missing Girls, Follow You Home.

Although I am relatively new to cruising, I have been a voracious reader forever. My tastes are widespread, both in fiction and non-fiction. If I had to pick a favorite genre it would be good historical fiction, where the history is not twisted out of shape.

That said, if you have never dipped into Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series I commend it to your attention. If you ever saw the movie Master and Commander, it was a mash-up of 2 of the books. And while entertaining and enjoyable, it hardly did justice to the series.

Jack Aubrey is an officer in His Majesty's Navy in the French Revolution/Napoleon era. Stephen Maturin is his ship's surgeon, Particular Friend, and unbeknownst to Jack for several volumes, one of the most valuable agents of British Naval Intelligence.

The series encompasses 20 full volumes plus an unfinished 21st. While the driving thrust is the naval adventures of Jack and Stephen, one of Patrick O'Brian's favorite authors was Jane Austen and it shows, as romantic intrigues during periods when our hero's are ashore abound.

One of the interesting things is that if you just picked up one of the books and started reading you would swear that it was written at the same time as Austen, Gaskell, Eliot, et al. Yet O'Brian wrote them post 1950. But he has absolute mastery of the older style of writing.

Anyway, if you want to read about high adventure on the high seas you'd be hard-pressed to find better.

I'll admit to not liking the ereaders. I'm still stuck on actual books. I tuck them into my luggage. Pass them on when I'm done with them (airline stewards and pilots, room stewards, informal book exchange) and have the extra room for any souvenirs I'm bringing home.

I've mentioned on another post, the Louise Penny detective novels, set in Canada. My husband enjoys thrillers, but last week said he was getting tired of all the gore and nastiness in some, so he's started reading Penny's books on the kindle, and is absolutely engrossed. It's the lifestyle of the people, as much as the mystery involved which is gripping him.

BTW, the mention of Edward Rutherfurd's "New York"- this taught me a lot about the great city- things about which I'd no idea, such as the ancient city wall becoming Wall Street, or Queen's being named after the reigning queen- obvious, I suppose..maybe not as great as Sarum, but a good read just the same.

I have an iPad so I have all the readers (Kindle, Nook, iBook etc.;) and have over 300 books downloaded.

I’m a huge Clive Cussler fan- if you haven’t read any of his books, I highly recommend them!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Fellow Cruisers:

I am an avid reader and cruiser. I would like to know if you are too...............:cool::cool:clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

I am an author and although I love to read my writings I would never do so on a cruise .Therefore ,I bring books written by friends .

I work at a high school and I am always in the library checking out books. I just read To Kill A Mockingbird about 4 years ago and was so good!! I really enjoyed it.

You will have to read "Go Set A Watchman" by Harper Lee if you enjoyed To Kill A Mockingbird. Scout is a 20 something woman who returns to her home town to find the people she loved and grew up with have changed. Apparently, Harper Lee wrote this manuscript first, but it was rejected and To Kill A Mockingbird was accepted by the publishers. Harper Lee, herself, has an interesting life story.

I think I am the only one in the world that HATES the Harry Potter books. I'm sooooooo alone.

No you're not! LOL. I liked the first four, but the last ones were just too tedious. It was like Rowling was being paid by the word. I actually gave my entire series away, and I hardly EVER give books away.

I have so many books it's ridiculous. I hardly ever read fiction except when I travel, so I can leave the books behind at the hotel or on the ship. Otherwise it's mostly books on World War II. I reread the Little House series every couple of years, I guess those count as historical fiction.

If you are interested in reading as an exposure to wonderful use of the English language, as well as enjoyable fantasy fiction, you should read Tolkein's Lord of the Rings trilogy --- preceded by the Hobbit - perhaps the best use of clean, clear basic English vocabulary, grammar and sentence structure anywhere. Someone who is seriously interested in writing in English should look to these works to see how it should be done

I have an iPad so I have all the readers (Kindle, Nook, iBook etc.;) and have over 300 books downloaded.

I’m a huge Clive Cussler fan- if you haven’t read any of his books, I highly recommend them!

Cussler, James Rollins and James Patterson.

Go Dirk Pitt.

My Kindle is always well stocked with books on a cruise, as is DH's although he can be just as happy reading one book (James Joyce's Ulysses). We both love reading and enjoy sitting somewhere peaceful where we can look out to sea when we want a rest from reading. The Kindle has made travel so much easier for me. I'm a speed reader and am so happy that I no longer have to lug half a suitcase of paper books around with me when travelling. I always pack a spare Kindle though.

I have read c. thirty books written by Alexander McCall Smith. Me darling wife and I particularly enjoy his "Number One Ladies Detective" series.

Our community has a free book swap at the local transfer station (i.e. the town dump). I take several books with me including Tom Clancy novels and leave them in the ship's library when finished. Speaking of ship's libraries, they can be hit or miss. I am an old guy who still prefers real books, although me darling wife swears by her Kindle. On our Coral Princess cruise last fall, they had a well-stocked library. Last month we were on the Caribbean Princess and their library had deteriorated to next to nothing. The space had pretty much been taken over by the Internet Cafe. It is all about the $$$, the Internet Cafe makes money and the library doesn't.

I've always loved to read. Several years ago, I switched over to a Kindle. It was either that or buy more bookcases. Love the Kindle! When we travel, I load it up with several new books, since one never knows when any given book might turn out to be a dud.

I usually load a few books on my kindle and much of my day while at sea is spent in Celebrity's Solarium. I can read, swim and eat in this room which is on all of the Celebrity ships.. Added benefit is it is inside and I am a Melanoma patient so avoid the sun like the plague.

I have read all the books in Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series. Interesting story about a British officer who came up through the ranks in the Napoleonic Wars. Most officers in the British military bought their commissions so coming up through the ranks was rare. Cornwells has also done series on the American Civil War and other eras in English history.

I'm a lifelong reader and love to read on cruises as well. I do like 'real' books better, but read quite a bit on my Kindle, especially when traveling.

I like thrillers, Sci-Fi, historical fiction, some mystery and some YA.

Try Rosemary Sutcliff for historical novels. Supposed to be children's or YA but good for adults too. Especially her Roman Britain books.

I tend to read and reread my favorities many times. Book Bub is good for cheap/free books and most classics are free anyway.

I like Harry Potter but think that some of the later (terribly long) books written after she got very famous needed some serious editing for length and tightened up generally.

I just wish ship libraries were as good as they used to be. Now they are just an after thought and seldom have much in them.