What to do in Barcelona on Spanish National Day (October 12, 2017)?

Catalans would not celebrate Spain's National day, and it has been used by anti-separatists to show their feelings against Catalunya's much discussed independence from Spain. Certainly last year they filled Placa Catalunya, but not much else.

I would not hesitate on sight seeing that day!

Again, there are "no protests"... there's, as VMax1700 mentioned, a small show of people living here in Catalonia that feel strange to this land and its autochthonous culture and decide to show their "Spanishness" instead... The demonstration is however very small, hardly fills one of the squares of the city.

In any case, our demonstrations here tend to be civilised, as example take the demonstrations on Catalan National Day: nearly two million in the streets, year after year, not a single incident.. just a bunch of festive and family-like activities to demand our rights as Catalans to be respected. You should be very lucky to be on that day in Barcelona, that's an experience you wouldn't forget... and everybody is welcome to join in and participate.

We have very few violent demonstrations/protests, and mostly limited to small anarchists or far left groups.

Edited by EnricM

We will be docked overnight in Barcelona on Spanish National Day - October 12, 2017. I've read that there are frequently protests in Barcelona on that day. Is it better to avoid sightseeing in the city on that day?

I read that there are protests on that day in Barcelona. Glad it's not a city-wide thing. Thanks.

Don't always believe what you read in guide books!

• 2 months later...

As I said... we Catalans don't celebrate this day, so I don't know where you get you'll encounter "fireworks".... you won't.

Anyhow, regardless, and sticking to the original question: AS A TOURIST YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING YOU'D BE DOING ANY OTHER DAY, except for going shopping: visiting attractions, taking the hohos or most guided tours, etc.

We will be docked overnight in Barcelona on Spanish National Day - October 12, 2017. I've read that there are frequently protests in Barcelona on that day. Is it better to avoid sightseeing in the city on that day?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We disembarked from a cruise ship on Oct 12th last year and didn't fly home until the next day. Took a tour of Barcelona and Montserrat with Barcelona Day Tours. Spent a few hours in the morning visiting Park Guell, seeing Segrada Familar (sorry know spelling is incorrect) from the outside but it was opened and a few other tourist spots in Barcelona which were all opened. As were most stores and restaurants. When we got to our hotel late afternoon, we had no trouble finding restaurants that were opened. The only protest we saw the entire day was a small group at one of the squares with maybe 3 police cars there, they were a little loud but very orderly. I had read last year about Oct 12 and was a little concerned also but there was nothing to it.