Uniworld River Queen review highlights

amd1234

We sailed Sept 16-28 Rhine Moselle Uniworld River Queen our third river cruise with Uniworld. I will try and answer any questions. Our first two Uniworld cruises were on the SS Antoinette and River Royal... The River Queen is an older ship but also lovely very easy to navigate.. Negatives.... small rooms, bathrooms, poorly designed closet and light switches were the most common complaints. We had too much stuff😥 We had two free laundry's a week ( Heritage Club Members) so we didn't have to deal with laundry.. We were delayed at Amsterdam airport with our luggage computer glitch and it was several hours before we met our Uniworld representative. Departure from airport was swift and we arrived on ship about 12:30. A light lunch was served but At this point was husband was not feeling well totally exhausted and needed to have our room ready. The procedure on the ship is everyone enters room at 2 o'clock .. People did complain because the rooms were ready the doors were open to view...He layed down on a couch in the lounge ... We managed!!! We couldn't take a brief walk weather was rain and cool... . The dining room mostly tables of six, eight and and maybe a few tables of ten..no tables for two.. Dinner at 7. Food very good.. lunch and breakfast buffet...I will continue with rest of review tomorrow..EXCURSIONS......also most asked questions on this forum. Will be answered.... what woman wore at dinner ? Sport coats for men? What to pack... continue soon....

Uniworld River Queen continued review..addressing what to wear! So much has been written on this forum on attire for dining room.. Very casual in fact I noticed more and more people didn't change for dinner and they looked fine.. Except for Captains's dinner and farewell dinner people were very casual..Also noticed more men wore dinner jackets maybe because the weather was cooler! My husband wore only nice dress shirt...I wore my black pants most nights with different tops, scarfs or jewelry. Please take a comfortable support type shoe. Cobblestones were very difficult to walk. Very cool mornings but warmed to 60's in afternoon perfect walking weather...Excursions usually start early 8:30 or 9 am..

Uniworld River Queen continued review... 13 days of excursions is lot to cover so I will try to give an overview of each day...First day Amsterdam canal trip with choice of Van Gogh or Rijsmuseum. We chose Van Gogh the guide was so informative 5 stars...Day two Cologne walking tour and beer tasting. We had been to Cathedral before and guide was rather boring but beer tasting was lots of fun,,,Koblenz. We did a walking tour. A word of caution there was an optional tour of Marksburg Castle I have read many reviews and we opted out . Very treacherous and some people remained on the bus stairs to castle very dangerous. So be warned! Cocham tour of Reichsburg Castle....spectacular views very interesting tour...we had a wine tasting in the afternoon very enjoyable.. Trier and Luxembourg with WW11 cemetery highlight for my husband very moving...Bernkastel Such a pretty village sorry we didn't have more time..optional bike ride along Moselle river. Rudesheim very touristy not my favorite extremely crowded. Siegfried's Museum of musical instruments fun! Speyer should have skipped this tour too long getting toured out!! Strasbourg canal trip ...Stayed in town for lunch and Uniworld arranged for hourly shuttles back to ship..optional Black Forest trip in the afternoon. We did this trip a few years ago and we loved it..Last day we chose Colmar voted prettiest town in the world..Venice of France. Lovely town walking tour and a short amount of time for coffee and pastry. The alternative excursion was the Alsatian Villages which also is great but we did this tour a few years ago.. We did have two afternoons of sailing the Rhine and Moselle. Moselle is simply breathtaking... The highlight for us was having dinner with new friends.. Entertainment with Brendan each night playing piano was also a highlight of this cruise. Being an older ship,we found the acoustics in dining room and lounge to be terrible. Difficult trying to hear our table mates noise level was deafening...wifi also not good..I had to go to lounge no wifi from cabin. Be prepared...Uniworld does an exceptional job we loved every moment. We were treated like royalty. Martin the cruise director exceptional...

Short, sweet and to the point. We enjoyed the same itinearery on the R.Q. a few weeks earlier and would concur with your review. The ship can be a bit cramped but the service was excellent. The shore excurions were handled very well and the scencery is stunning. Highly recommended.

Paul

Paul... So glad someone responded to my review! I had to refer to my daily schedules difficult to remember every detail.. I am sure I omitted a few things.. No trips planned we have cruised most itinerary's... I know the SS ships are newer but we loved the intimacy of the River Queen. 😀😀

Thanks for posting! Glad you enjoyed. Plus the Rhine and Mosel...lucky you! Now I want to go back.

Having sailed on the Super Ships, and also the older ships (River Beatrice), it was hard to find fault with either. I wanted to be less impressed with the older ship, but it was really nice too.

I do hope that you don't stop cruising. There must be somewhere else that you need to visit! :)

JP .. so enjoyed all your post especially India. I love the forum it's fun contributing to the questions. Its so interesting to view different itineraries like yours! India, China, Russia, Vietnam places that I would never visit but enjoy the posts...I think we are done traveling it is getting difficult for husband so now we will stay in the States enjoy long weekends😀..We have some great memories...Happy Traveling...