Low Carb Dieting

jesskuhmarie

Low carb works for me as well as drinking tons of water ( which I have to force myself to do )

I did want to say that one of my fav desserts is the cheese plate. I do like the WCMC but that cheese plate is just divine.. 😋☺️

I too like the cheese plates. BTW Royals is much better than Carnival's. The problem is what to spread the cheese on. I think I have that covered by bringing along the whisps. Some days we don't have dinner and will just go to the windjammer and grab brie and bread. (Of course this time I will use the whisps instead of bread.)

Thanks!

yes I have been known to take a couple of slices of pizza and just eat the topping it fulfills my cravings and I do not feel guilty lol

I normally would make a low carb pizza if I wanted one, but not an option on the cruise.

I have heard of people just eating the toppings. I guess that will be my plan.

Thanks for your comments.

Finally back from our 28-day adventure that included - Singapore - Thailand - 3 stops in Malaysia - Boracay - Manilla - 2 days Hong Kong - Vietnam - all on 14 days on Celebrity Constellation and 5 days Mariner - with 5 days pre-cruise in Singapore! LOVED IT ALL :cool:

BUT very hard to stay LCHF and KETO off the ship as we had a few meals included with our tours that Asian foods are not friendly to our WOE- but once back on ship, we managed! :)

As someone who is doing keto and a cruiser I am happy to find this forum. Been on keto since Jan 8, have lost 36 lbs. I've found this about the easiest diet I've done (and I've done just every other diet out there). I haven't had any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweets, fruit or alcohol in 8 weeks. Haven't had any cravings or have need to cheat. I am at my goal. Now what?

My question is what to eat on a cruise? I have one coming up in April. I've been eating a lot of eggs and meat. How does that translate to cruise food? I suppose I could just go to the buffets and only eat the high fat stuff. My wife and I like to eat in the MDR so I suppose I could just order the entre' and veggies. I am open to suggestions.

As someone who is doing keto and a cruiser I am happy to find this forum. Been on keto since Jan 8, have lost 36 lbs. I've found this about the easiest diet I've done (and I've done just every other diet out there). I haven't had any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweets, fruit or alcohol in 8 weeks. Haven't had any cravings or have need to cheat. I am at my goal. Now what?

My question is what to eat on a cruise? I have one coming up in April. I've been eating a lot of eggs and meat. How does that translate to cruise food? I suppose I could just go to the buffets and only eat the high fat stuff. My wife and I like to eat in the MDR so I suppose I could just order the entre' and veggies. I am open to suggestions.

Congratulations on losing the POF (pounds of fat) and finding what works for you~ I love Keto LCHF (low carb high fat) -

I have found that we also do IF (intermittent fasting) most mornings on a cruise we do not eat breakfast and if we do it is only eggs - bacon - ham - sausage. Usually, skip lunch if not - cheese - meats - salads

We do eat in the MDR I order the most KETO friendly appetizer - caesar salad without croutons and add anchovies - and the main entry that has the meat that I like - I don't do desserts unless they can bring me assorted berries and HWC (heavy whipping cream) Still do not eat bread - rice - potatoes or any vegetable that grows under the ground

Congratulations on losing the POF (pounds of fat) and finding what works for you~ I love Keto LCHF (low carb high fat) -

I have found that we also do IF (intermittent fasting) most mornings on a cruise we do not eat breakfast and if we do it is only eggs - bacon - ham - sausage. Usually, skip lunch if not - cheese - meats - salads

We do eat in the MDR I order the most KETO friendly appetizer - caesar salad without croutons and add anchovies - and the main entry that has the meat that I like - I don't do desserts unless they can bring me assorted berries and HWC (heavy whipping cream) Still do not eat bread - rice - potatoes or any vegetable that grows under the ground

Thanks for the encouragement.

I've been doing really well with intermittent fasting, I was doing a couple 18/6s and a 24 hour a week. Not so much to push it but because after awhile I just wasn't hungry in the morning. Cup of coffee and I was good to go till noon.

After awhile however I found I wasn't getting enough calories and was getting dizzy when standing up and/or working out. I went back to eating b'fast and that helped and I am still losing weight.

I am to a point now where I have to find the balance to maintain my weight where I am.

-like you I've been pretty strict not eating any bread, rice, potatoes or below ground veggies. haven't had any or even tempted to have any in 8 weeks.

Someone mentioned ordering a cheese plate as a desert or snack.

One thing about cruising is that they don't skimp on fatty foods. Should be easy to find replacements for the carbs.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I've been doing really well with intermittent fasting, I was doing a couple 18/6s and a 24 hour a week. Not so much to push it but because after awhile I just wasn't hungry in the morning. Cup of coffee and I was good to go till noon.

After awhile however I found I wasn't getting enough calories and was getting dizzy when standing up and/or working out. I went back to eating b'fast and that helped and I am still losing weight.

I am to a point now where I have to find the balance to maintain my weight where I am.

-like you I've been pretty strict not eating any bread, rice, potatoes or below ground veggies. haven't had any or even tempted to have any in 8 weeks.

Someone mentioned ordering a cheese plate as a desert or snack.

One thing about cruising is that they don't skimp on fatty foods. Should be easy to find replacements for the carbs.

I do find if we eat breakfast it is only eggs - bacon (plenty of bacon) and maybe full fat sausage!

Also, I do butter alone instead of bread! Helps to get my fats intake up!

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you who do LCHF do you count your calories or just carbs, fat and protein? I struggle with this.

Second related question.. I've actually been averaging under a 1000 calories a day for the last 10 weeks and I exercise 5 days a week. Obviously one is going to lose weight that way. Now that I've reached my desired weight I am struggling to eat enough calories/fat to stabilize my weight. I don't want to lose any more weight but I'm afraid if I eat more I will gain. Not sure how to approach that? How many calories can you eat and not gain weight if you keep your carbs below 20 gr/day?

I plan on staying LC from now on.

Those of you who do LCHF do you count your calories or just carbs, fat and protein? I struggle with this.

Second related question.. I've actually been averaging under a 1000 calories a day for the last 10 weeks and I exercise 5 days a week. Obviously one is going to lose weight that way. Now that I've reached my desired weight I am struggling to eat enough calories/fat to stabilize my weight. I don't want to lose any more weight but I'm afraid if I eat more I will gain. Not sure how to approach that? How many calories can you eat and not gain weight if you keep your carbs below 20 gr/day?

From what I have read - researched and learned on my own - if you are doing LCHF or Keto it doesn't matter (at least in my case) how many calories - it is either one or the other and I count macros and carbs - Most days I only do OMAD (one meal aa day) and keep my carbs below 5% - fat 75% and protein 20% (or less) I like to stay way under 10 carbs per day

I wouldn't say that I "count" calories, but I do watch them. I try to stay under 1670 calories a day and most of the time I do. That said sometimes I go over a bit. I definitely watch my macros and generally I'm somewhere between 66 - 75% fats, under 10% total carbs, and the remainder protein. I track my macros on My Fitness Pal so my carb percentage is actually not net carbs. It's total carbs so in actuality my fats and protein percentages are higher.

1000 calories a day sounds very low. Then again if you're only eating one meal a day then I imagine it's hard to fit more than that in there. I do two meals a day and don't really intermittent fast although I do try to keep my eating to 8 - 10 hours a day. One day I hope to get to a strict 8 hours a day, but it hasn't happened yet.

My advice would be to slowly up your carbs (a la Atkins) and see what happens. If you start gaining, you can always back off. Otherwise stay around the same amount of carbs but up your calories by adding more fat. I guess what I'm saying is that it's probably not healthy to stay under 1000 calories for the rest of your life. I'm not a doctor though so really what do I know? Ha! That's just my feeling about it. But as they say "whatever works for you"!

Cindy

I just want to share a little NSV with you all. I got back from a 12 night cruise about 9 days ago. I was somewhat worried about my eating on the cruise since it was the first cruise I'd gone on since starting this WOE. I was pretty good. I did eat one pork dumpling at the sushi place and on one of the more rough sea days I ate a slice of pizza. I just needed that bread to settle my stomach. And (confession time) on the last night I had a hot fudge brownie with ice cream which was actually a planned cheat. I'd said to my husband that I was gonna have one dessert so that's what I did. Also had SF ice cream one night and who knows in actuality how many carbs are in that. The other "cheat" was drinking quite a bit of wine which was also planned. I mean, you are on vacation. So to some it may seem like I didn't do so well, but I actually did just exactly what I planned so I'm proud of myself. I gained 1.5 lbs. Not too shabby and it's come right off along with 2.5 more lbs.

Anyway, just wanted to share that it was totally doable to stay on the plan. I only ate breakfast one morning. I will admit that I did miss those omelets that I used to have every morning but my goal was to eat later in the day which I managed to do. Lunches consisted of huge salads that were super yummy and one day I think I had a burger with lots of stuff piled on it (minus the bread of course). Dinners were really easy with meat and asparagus and broccoli. I ate a lot of asparagus and it was the bomb. Cooked to perfection! Oh, and RCCL serves up lots of cheese on their buffet so I took a bunch of it and put it in my room fridge. That was my go-to snack. Mmmmm.

Super easy. Super happy. Super fun cruise!

Cindy

I wouldn't say that I "count" calories, but I do watch them. I try to stay under 1670 calories a day and most of the time I do. That said sometimes I go over a bit. I definitely watch my macros and generally I'm somewhere between 66 - 75% fats, under 10% total carbs, and the remainder protein. I track my macros on My Fitness Pal so my carb percentage is actually not net carbs. It's total carbs so in actuality my fats and protein percentages are higher.

1000 calories a day sounds very low. Then again if you're only eating one meal a day then I imagine it's hard to fit more than that in there. I do two meals a day and don't really intermittent fast although I do try to keep my eating to 8 - 10 hours a day. One day I hope to get to a strict 8 hours a day, but it hasn't happened yet.

My advice would be to slowly up your carbs (a la Atkins) and see what happens. If you start gaining, you can always back off. Otherwise stay around the same amount of carbs but up your calories by adding more fat. I guess what I'm saying is that it's probably not healthy to stay under 1000 calories for the rest of your life. I'm not a doctor though so really what do I know? Ha! That's just my feeling about it. But as they say "whatever works for you"!

Cindy

My goal was to lose the weight as fast as I could without killing myself. I did that though I tend to go a little extreme sometimes (done it before a few times) when losing weight. I've found the LCHF to be much easier with less side effects or desires to cheat than the other diets I've been on. That means I am more likely to stick to it as a lifestyle.

The good thing is that I've kept a fairly extensive log this time writing down everything I've eaten including calories, fat, protein and carbs. I've kept track of my calorie burn while exercising. I can go back to week 2 (when I started extensive record keeping) and see what I ate and did and see the result. I know have a pretty good idea of what I can eat and do and what works.

The challenge now is to incorporate what I know into a lifestyle change. I know I have to increase calories, primarily fat calories to get to the proper percentages. It's just tough trying to add fat and balancing the protein percentages at this point. I eat very little carbs but about an even percentage of protein to fat.

Am about a month out from our next cruise.

BTW, thanks to whoever put this thread up. It helps to talk about it.

I just want to share a little NSV with you all. I got back from a 12 night cruise about 9 days ago. I was somewhat worried about my eating on the cruise since it was the first cruise I'd gone on since starting this WOE. I was pretty good. I did eat one pork dumpling at the sushi place and on one of the more rough sea days I ate a slice of pizza. I just needed that bread to settle my stomach. And (confession time) on the last night I had a hot fudge brownie with ice cream which was actually a planned cheat. I'd said to my husband that I was gonna have one dessert so that's what I did. Also had SF ice cream one night and who knows in actuality how many carbs are in that. The other "cheat" was drinking quite a bit of wine which was also planned. I mean, you are on vacation. So to some it may seem like I didn't do so well, but I actually did just exactly what I planned so I'm proud of myself. I gained 1.5 lbs. Not too shabby and it's come right off along with 2.5 more lbs.

Anyway, just wanted to share that it was totally doable to stay on the plan. I only ate breakfast one morning. I will admit that I did miss those omelets that I used to have every morning but my goal was to eat later in the day which I managed to do. Lunches consisted of huge salads that were super yummy and one day I think I had a burger with lots of stuff piled on it (minus the bread of course). Dinners were really easy with meat and asparagus and broccoli. I ate a lot of asparagus and it was the bomb. Cooked to perfection! Oh, and RCCL serves up lots of cheese on their buffet so I took a bunch of it and put it in my room fridge. That was my go-to snack. Mmmmm.

Super easy. Super happy. Super fun cruise!

Cindy

CONGRATULATIONS - I did gain 3 POF (pounds of fat - more like from the alcohol) on our last 28 days froms home - 16 days were cruising - but that is gone now!

By George - I know you got this! :)

My goal was to lose the weight as fast as I could without killing myself. I did that though I tend to go a little extreme sometimes (done it before a few times) when losing weight. I've found the LCHF to be much easier with less side effects or desires to cheat than the other diets I've been on. That means I am more likely to stick to it as a lifestyle.

The good thing is that I've kept a fairly extensive log this time writing down everything I've eaten including calories, fat, protein and carbs. I've kept track of my calorie burn while exercising. I can go back to week 2 (when I started extensive record keeping) and see what I ate and did and see the result. I know have a pretty good idea of what I can eat and do and what works.

The challenge now is to incorporate what I know into a lifestyle change. I know I have to increase calories, primarily fat calories to get to the proper percentages. It's just tough trying to add fat and balancing the protein percentages at this point. I eat very little carbs but about an even percentage of protein to fat.

Am about a month out from our next cruise.

BTW, thanks to whoever put this thread up. It helps to talk about it.

You will find what works for you - seems like you have a great handle on it!

I didn't start this blog but so glad someone else did! :)

All,

Your stories are all so inspirational! Have 5 more pounds to lose before May cruise. I have struggled to keep carbs under 30g per day, but am getting better (so much harder to lose weight over age 50!). I found the free Atkins app to be very helpful. It tracks all macros, and shows when you go over your daily carb allowance. I use blackberries for my fruit fix; pretty low in carbs. Crossfit and running are my go to workouts for conditioning. I really like the scanning feature and use it in the grocery to help with food purchase decisions.

Safe travels!

Welcome to our newest roll call members - Each will find what works for them - I usually keep my carbs very low and my macros at 75% fat - 20% protein and 5% carbs - today will be a little bit higher in protein as it it is an all meat day!

Bacon - lamb - and ribs for dinner! :D

I've been going back through my diet log for the last 11 weeks and recalculating the calories, fat, protein and carbs and found that I wasn't counting the olive oil and butter about half the time. That is a considerable amount of calories and fat that I wasn't counting. In recalculating I discovered that my percentages of fat to protein is much higher and I was actually eating more calories than I thought. That's a good thing in that I am getting a handle on the fat intact I thought I was missing.

At this point I dieted for 10 weeks, lost 40 lbs and have been on maintenance for a week and a half. I've increased my calories intact last week and stayed the same and am increasing this week as well. By calories I mean more fat cals. I am trying to wean myself off counting calories and start only counting macros. We'll see how that works.

I've been going back through my diet log for the last 11 weeks and recalculating the calories, fat, protein and carbs and found that I wasn't counting the olive oil and butter about half the time. That is a considerable amount of calories and fat that I wasn't counting. In recalculating I discovered that my percentages of fat to protein is much higher and I was actually eating more calories than I thought. That's a good thing in that I am getting a handle on the fat intact I thought I was missing.

At this point I dieted for 10 weeks, lost 40 lbs and have been on maintenance for a week and a half. I've increased my calories intact last week and stayed the same and am increasing this week as well. By calories I mean more fat cals. I am trying to wean myself off counting calories and start only counting macros. We'll see how that works.

Good for you - whatever works! We are all so very different! I need to up my fat again also -

Also Happy Easter Weekend - ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. Am finishing up week 14 of being on keto. Been pretty much on maintenance the last 4 weeks and am down a total of 42 lbs. The cruise starts a week from tomorrow but will be traveling and on vacation starting next Tuesday. I think I got a good handle on this keto thing but we'll see how the vacation/cruise goes.

Good luck to all, stick with it, it works! If you haven't started yet, there is no time like the present. Everybody is different but I've found keto to be the easiest diet I've done, and I've done them all.

Good morning everyone

I found this thread last week and have read it all.

Wow on so many of you meeting your goals.

I'm shooting for 50lbs by Aug 17.

I started LCHF on Monday and have lost already.

Will be starting 14 day challenge with Diet doctor on Sunday night. So far this has been pretty easy.

DH and I are going to try a 24 hour fast tonight after dinner we will see how that goes. Its helping that my DH is doing this with me. He only needs to lose about 10 to 12 lbs but its nice to have a partner doing this.

Leigh

Good morning everyone

I found this thread last week and have read it all.

Wow on so many of you meeting your goals.

I'm shooting for 50lbs by Aug 17.

I started LCHF on Monday and have lost already.

Will be starting 14 day challenge with Diet doctor on Sunday night. So far this has been pretty easy.

DH and I are going to try a 24 hour fast tonight after dinner we will see how that goes. Its helping that my DH is doing this with me. He only needs to lose about 10 to 12 lbs but its nice to have a partner doing this.

Leigh

Just be aware that the first week or two is mostly water loss which is a euphemism for clearing out the bowels. So drink lots of water. I found 18 hour (dinner/6 pm-noon) fasts worked pretty well for me to stay in ketosis at the begining. I also did 6 pm-6pm about once a week in the middle 6 weeks or so. I found that if I could make till noon, I could make it to dinner without eating. I haven't needed to fast since about week 9 or so, though it is on my things to do if I need to while on vacation. I have a couple long flights ahead and sometimes it's more comfortable to just not eat during that process.

Good luck to all, stick with it.

Don't know what happened but we lost a couple of posts from over the weekend? Have never had that happen on a forum -

Any of you that would like to join our face book forum just give me your name here and then go to LCHF friends support team on that web site - we offer support to all healthy WOE (ways of eating) and we are a closed group so whatever you post your normal page will not show to others on your feed :D