The "MUST" pack on a cruise

I have read here and other threads where people bring snacks on the ship. I'm wondering with all the 24/7 food on the ship, why do you need to bring snacks? I'm not trying to be a smartiepants, but, why??

Enjoy your cruise:cool:

Room service is limited, and a lot of times the Lido deck (except for drinks & ice cream) are closed for set up. I crave chocolate, & candy in the shops (when open) is a fortune. I usually bring a bag of Hersey's nuggets to nibble on.

Wife

wife

wife

child

wife

child

child

wife

wife

wife

yeah!

Very happy now to pack each other!

Must be from Utah.

OMG I was just about to type the exact same thing ;)

Ok, wife first 2 cruises, wife and child 2nd cruise,wife and children the next 6 cruises, wife and me 3 times, now wife and me going again!

Does that explain it? BTW all the same wife, 25 years, celebrating on the Dream later this year!

Edited by bobsfamily

small bottle of hand sanitizer

travel alarm clock

half the clothes I used to pack

lots of $1 bills for tips (I hand them out randomly to crew members working around the ship, get great smiles in return!:D)

my "I don't give a crap" attitude! for chair hogs, annoying travel mates, other people who worry about the small stuff :D

Edited by beachbum6264

just off the Victory and I saw some shipmates at one of the beaches eating fruit and other items they packed in tupperware that they filled at the buffet that morning...meanwhile we were sharing a $17.00 wrap:eek:

never thought of it but its light and you can put stuff inside of it, not a bad idea for next cruise!

You were the smart one ;) As a previous poster said, it is illegal in most ports to bring off food into port - ESPECIALLY fruits! You can bring pre-packaged foods only like cereals, crackers, etc. Every ship we have ever been on (yes even Carnival) makes an announcement about removing food. The signs are at the gangway. And it's in the capers.

For the ladies who travel, sometimes the stress of traveling can throw your cycle out of whack. The selection in the cruise ship shop is very minimal, so be sure to bring some feminine products with you just in case, even if you are mid-cycle during your cruise!

We also pack lots of OTC meds. Again, the selection in the cruise ship is very small (and expensive).

I always pack Imodium and Pepto Bismol, it's my understanding they do not sell it in the shops and if you go to the infirmary and ask for it, you'll be quarantined! They take NO chances of someone possibly having Noro! And that would suck if it was only an upset tummy from eating different foods! :eek:

just off the Victory and I saw some shipmates at one of the beaches eating fruit and other items they packed in tupperware that they filled at the buffet that morning...meanwhile we were sharing a $17.00 wrap:eek:

never thought of it but its light and you can put stuff inside of it, not a bad idea for next cruise!

Great Idea for the Tupperware! I will be bringing some for my cruise in May.

I thought the same thing. Thought you could not take any food off the ship? If it's permitted, this is a great thing since food in port can be so pricey!

It isn't permitted. Taking food off the ship that isn't prepackaged can take things into other countries that can devastate their Eco systems. If you can't afford to eat in port take some prepackaged snacks like little cereals, granola bars, etc and then eat when you get back.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I am in agreement and have not taken food off ships. Luckily, it's been easy to come back and eat and go back out if we needed to.

I will say that bringing cracker packs and such have gotten us through longer periods until we came back on board. Little cereals are also great.

Fart spray for the bathroom and booze. I would say birth control but my wife ate wedding cake 18 years ago so that took care of that problem.;):D:p

Omg..you need to meet my husband..ya'll could be long lost twins!! :p

It isn't permitted. Taking food off the ship that isn't prepackaged can take things into other countries that can devastate their Eco systems. If you can't afford to eat in port take some prepackaged snacks like little cereals, granola bars, etc and then eat when you get back.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

If it hasn't devastated them by now I doubt its gonna. I cannot really see how taking a ham sandwich and some chips is gonna devastate anything.

If it hasn't devastated them by now I doubt its gonna. I cannot really see how taking a ham sandwich and some chips is gonna devastate anything.

I think the main concern is fruit since it can introduce pests into an area that are invasive and not indigenous to their eco-system. It can have tragic results (thinking back to fruit fly fiascos, etc., in southern California).

Edited by Sundiego

It's because at this point, the cruise lines crew have been diligent about standing there and throwing away all of the food that the passengers are attempting to remove from the ship. There are huge garbage containers at every gangway. I remember on Elation, the gentleman in front of me was angry because he had just gotten a huge cup of coffee - into the garbage it went. Although they make an announcement on every cruise. And they print it in every ship's caper, compass, daily - someone always thinks that it doesn't matter - they should try to "get away with it".