Cruise demographic / sociopolitical status

marktwothousand

I hope it's an amazing trip! Iceland is a beautiful country, so I really recommend doing some excursions if it's feasible. The seafood is also excellent, unsurprisingly. :)

I'm booked to take my first cruise (RCI, Grandeur of the Seas) next January. I have family and friends in a couple of the ports of call, so it'll be fun to see them, and I'm interested to see what Nassau is like, but mostly the ship is my destination too: I'm looking forward to having my biggest decision be whether to go swimming or sit in the solarium with a book. :)

In my experience, this forum is nothing like the demographics of the Carnival ships I have been on. Of course demographics don't speak for everyone. No matter how close everyone's interests may be, when you get 2-6,000 people in one location, there are bound to be a lot of differences. There is also going to be a clear difference between a Carnival cruise to the Bahamas vs a Seaborn cruise to Iceland.

Honestly, I was quite surprised at the Carnival passengers. I expected a lot of scum. By and large, it was very laid back, and relaxing. Sure, there are few that I wouldn't have mind if they stayed home, but I could count them on one hand every time. I actually preferred that crowd to the snooty crowd.

Honestly, I was quite surprised at the Carnival passengers. I expected a lot of scum. By and large, it was very laid back, and relaxing.

That’s interesting—I had ruled out Carnival because they seemed like party ships, and I want a more laidback, relaxed experience. Should I reconsider?

There's Carnival and there's Carnival. When I did a 12-day Hawaiian cruise on Carnival and an 8-day Alaskan, the demographic and atmosphere on board more closely resembled Princess and HAL.

Roz

That’s interesting—I had ruled out Carnival because they seemed like party ships, and I want a more laidback, relaxed experience. Should I reconsider?

It depends what you you consider those things to be. I have been on 3 Carnival ships (Spring and Fall, outside of peak Summer and Spring Break). I was expecting a bunch of frat partiers screaming and shotgunning beers, people throwing up, etc. Because of course that is what people have made it out to be. There's definitely places to relax. I would say it is closer to being a party ship, but largely done respectfully if that makes sense.

What's US based cruising? You mean starting from a US port?

I don't find that at all.

Different cruise destinations have a different vibe. In addition, the time of year can change the vibe. The cruise line itself probably makes the most difference in the vibe.

The only thing that does seem true is that of US based starting destinations, they do prefer the tipping method. However, that's because it's mostly US based passengers who are accustomed to tipping. That just goes back to the destination. Certain destinations tend to have more passengers who are local, so the vibe will often match that of whatever the locals are like.

The US is a big place and each region has its own vibe. The Midwest tends to be more open and they treat everyone as a "friend" so maybe that's why you hear them express their views more. For example, I grew up in SoCal, but family is originally from Texas. In SoCal at my parents' house, I've talked to one neighbor once and the parents of the other neighbor less than 5 times. In just under 29 years. My wife is from the Bay Area. Same thing with her family and their neighbors. Conversely, I live out in the relative boonies of CA now and it's VERY much like Texas or the MidWest. Basically what you're describing, but that's cuz everyone talks with everyone here. Including the conservative, married, etc (although the US definitely has a ton of divorcees; so they might be married, just on their Xth marriage). It's not that of the CA cruisers, none come from SoCal or the Bay Area, they just tend to be a bit more reserved until you've known them for a while (like maybe as tablemates). Then, they might not shut up either (whether liberal or conservative) but not shutting up tends to be a US vibe in general. :)

You mentioned RC Grandeur of the Seas, so I'm guessing you are sailing out of Baltimore. We sailed earlier this year on the Carnival Pride (the other Baltimore ship), and found it very laidback and relaxed.

I suspect Baltimore has a slightly narrower demographic due to more local travelers - those who have to fly anyway would likely sail from FL. That said, you get a mix of East Coast urban (DC, Baltimore, Philly, etc), rural (most of PA, WV) and suburbs.

Time of year and length of cruise will matter some too. We sailed late Feb/early March and it looked like mostly 40-60 age range.

It probably was also relaxing and laid back because that is what we were looking for and the type of areas we found ourselves in - it might have been more of a party scene poolside.

We sailed Grandeur once, but between poor weather and a Norovirus outbreak it wasn't one of our favorites. I do remember the solarium being nice and good service, but it didn't stand out as being relaxing. Another cruise in good weather with healthy passengers would likely yield a better result though.

Enjoy whatever cruise you take.

Maybe it’s just me, but I found the OPs post to be highly offensive. I’d like to know what is his actual agenda.

As I perused his list, was startled that he failed to mention race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion. I get the feeling those would be important considerations to him. He does not sound like someone who can get along with just about anyone at all. Sounds like someone I would dread sharing a table with in an MDR.

Not sure US based cruising is something he should pursue. If he is that concerned about cruising with people with conservative views or that come from red states; it doesn’t sound like he could tolerate that much diversity in his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe it’s just me, but I found the OPs post to be highly offensive. I’d like to know what is his actual agenda.

As I perused his list, was startled that he failed to mention race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion. I get the feeling those would be important considerations to him. He does not sound like someone who can get along with just about anyone at all. Sounds like someone I would dread sharing a table with in an MDR.

Not sure US based cruising is something he should pursue. If he is that concerned about cruising with people with conservative views or that come from red states; it doesn’t sound like he could tolerate that much diversity in his life.

Lol! So, I take it he would be offended if I show up with my “Make America Great Again” hat or T-shirt? I think you are correct that taking a US based cruise may not be for him.

Agreed-- his initial post sounded like the posturing of an above-it-all elitist. I would not want to share a table with his sort any more than I would enjoy chatting with a bunch of out-spoken Honey Boo Boo fans.

Elles5,

With such a positive, and open attitude, you are bound to have a magnificent trip! You are a talented writer, and I would love to read a trip report from you after your adventure!

Have a beautiful cruise!

I've been back a few days now, in body anyway, but my mind and heart still belong on the Marco Polo. It wasn't the trip I expected at all, the perils of reading too many reviews I suspect. We hadn't been sailing long before we were warned of imminent bad weather and that set the tone for much of the cruise with seasickness pills handed out at reception, and not so discreet bags appearing along the handrails. The ship seemed to go up and down and from side to side at the same time. Now the part I'm embarrassed to admit, I loved it. My own poor husband was really ill but the medication made him sleep a great deal so I explored alone. The Marco Polo seems to be a love or hate vessel, some awful things being written, and the other side of the coin there are those who can't/wont see faults. I am a realist and the fact that she is over 50 years old gave the game away. I wasn't going to find the kind of wall to wall entertainment there is on the huge liners and I was prepared for signs of wear and tear. I was wrong about the wear and tear, the ship was immaculately clean with beautiful old wood and polished brasses. I was going to say she was reminiscent of an Agatha Christie setting, but we know how they end. As you've probably guessed I fell for her with all her quirks. We docked first in the Faroe Islands where one of the first things we saw was a Man and his children picking up the plastic that had been washed ashore. Not being mobile we soon went back to the ship where preparations had been made to watch and then celebrate the Royal Wedding. Having conducted many marriage ceremonies myself I can say with certainty that I have never experienced anything like that one. It shouldn't have worked but it did, in my opinion that is. I will leave it here for now before I bore everyone but I will write more later including, to my embarrassment, tears as I saw the splendour of Iceland for the first time

Yeah, it TOTALLY depends on:

When you cruise

Where you cruise

Where you cruise out of

What line you cruise

Guess I've never ever had a deep enough conversation to come to original conclusions...