Glacier Bay Time Lapse video from our balcony

Tummy

Here is a time lapse video I made with our camera strapped to the railing on our balcony while visiting Glacier Bay on Holland America Westerdam. The scale of everything is hard to comprehend until you see it in person.

Shot on June 1, 2018

FCDuxm0dCc8

Edited by Tummy

Love it! Tried to do the same with my GoPro but didn't have a strap big enough to go around the top railing of our Verandah on the Eurodam. Tried to set it on the ledge but the view through the glass was iffy at best

Love it! Tried to do the same with my GoPro but didn't have a strap big enough to go around the top railing of our Verandah on the Eurodam. Tried to set it on the ledge but the view through the glass was iffy at best

Glad you liked it!

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the setup. I attached a suction cup mount to the glass with a selfie stick threaded on to get enough height above the railing. Then I used a strap (actually the belt off my cargo pants), to tie it to the post/railing.

Exceptional Video..Well shot and edited.

What was your interval for the T/L? I think that is about as smooth as I've seen.

I enjoyed watching it. Thanks

So happy you liked it! The weather was fantastic and that really showed the mountains and clouds.

I used a Sony x3000 action cam which has a really great optical stabilization, great color and generally good exposure. We also use it for the

, our
and some others on our YT channel. The stabilization works really well and looks almost like a gimbal on it's own. Combined with a gimbal, it's crazy smooth even when walking normally.

The interval was set for 2 seconds and there is a special auto exposure mode on the camera to help even out time lapses, but you still see some flickering. For some reason it stopped after about 5 hours, even though there was plenty of space left on the 128gb card so I didn't have anything of the second glacier we saw that day. I had it hooked up to an external USB battery and I guess it stopped after the USB went out even though the internal battery still had plenty.

What did you use to attach the camera to the railing. I was also wondering if it would work for a Go-Pro as well as the time between images

I used a suction cup to mount to the inside of the balcony glass with a selfie stick on top to get enough height over the rail, then tied it tight with a nylon belt/rope. I should have taken a photo of the setup. It was a 2 second interval.

I used a suction cup to mount to the inside of the balcony glass with a selfie stick on top to get enough height over the rail, then tied it tight with a nylon belt/rope. I should have taken a photo of the setup. It was a 2 second interval.

Thanks, So, the video was taken through the glass. We have a river cruise planned this summer and there are places that 1 would like to take a time lapse as we go down the river.

Thanks, So, the video was taken through the glass. We have a river cruise planned this summer and there are places that 1 would like to take a time lapse as we go down the river.

No, I attached the suction cup to the glass and the camera had a view over the railing.

Absolutely beautiful......we leave in a little over 10 weeks and watching this just makes me more excited to go! This is our first cruise to Alaska and I have waited 33 years to go. Looks like I will not be disappointed:D:D:D:D

WONDERFUL... What side of the ship had the best views ?

In Glacier Bay, I don't think there was much difference between the sides. The captains will always hold the ship near the glaciers and spin around to the other side. I think we held position for about an hour on each side. They also opened the bow to allow people to view from there and we stood at the railing while we approached, then went back to our cabin while we held position to view from our balcony.

RHWfVlrHmU0RGTkNIVvQiLSCujXgrAb8N-kDUz-_sVwHyrJM4YRc3t5xBZhQveMzLymskjZXqviCFVNqI0IB2ePCs9KEWd_UPmyRkOQmGfx-2ykQAeZvks5MnBH8vBsAGX-QghHj49dCDJrYV6kDD7Hy7Eb3XwNZREcREYHQ17bZnJMdnNmhhvxwnytLtbdSP-YWd8RmD1u2URqwYJ6ulLL9iTLzeC6fvM4CmH8FSpqYG9HJBI5U5_C7hoUm41VDZx_J2mTgHMEgno2x10gyAAoMp4oumCVZcYQ1sOHvRoO1o5y_rhNqsUmq1Ff_iEnXHKY72_GhPl7qiA1sSg49CkuRhB_JR9a0xYsIklfJJFx4l6wjobpNNbT-JHwVeAZFGuNSlvUWQj9ikQsbrrHtQuHr68GWtiE97n4rbvpTYu0Y0YJhntAOfdQab86TtqmsT4v-02aY3oU3X5B6dTeTA2Qy1COwb6v3PN9SyGcl1VULqwoJhTQkPPAOp7VPvBia0oGhRheIRS4J2jVzwzHLozB-DAvfb84ExlG-qfcc2YsDEy2dYJcvgWtuk2Ry3enBVrtqX5QMcvWJiwScCmwKlypmVTZda7e_SurCM6Il-Xha3b3379CLc2--2J3x_cNZvrSib4nWpCgZaLXbqo6wvNQeZYPaFodHHQ=w2304-h1536-no