How much Drinking

JMorris271

With or without a bev package, Do you drink more on a cruise? I know I drink way more than the medical recommendation of 1.5 oz. Per day for a female and 3 ozs. per day for a male.

How can this be right or is it common?

If one does it likely has to do with the fact you are on vacation and every day is based on enjoyment and relaxation instead of work and normal day to day responsibilities. Add to this that you are in a closed environment where alcohol is prevalent and a staff is present to provide it for you on a regular basis.

So in that respect, IMO the opportunity is uncommon, but the result would be quite common. As to whether it is right or not, that is a personal decision as it is always your choice to abstain.

As to us, for all the above reasons, we likely do drink more than usual on a cruise. But we are not big drinkers to begin with, so having a few drinks each day to us would be a lot compared to what we do at home.

If you're not a drinker, then you probably won't be drinking more on vacation than you would at any time. Some of us do drink...not to excess, but in probably "more than recommended" amounts, whether we're on vacation or not! Perhaps, not every day, but we do go out, to concerts or sporting events, dances, gatherings, etc...and have some drinks!

So yes...drinking....ANYWHERE is common.

I drink daily about 5 each day , normally first drink is 5 or 6 on a cruise we start early always have some wine with lunch and a couple at the pool. One of our friends hit the 15 drink limit a few times on carnival , rccl has no limit.

We don't drink at home, although we do cook with wine... Used to be we only drank the free drinks at the parties/receptions. Now we might have three or four drinks on a week long cruise. That's total, not pr day. EM

I guess I am the only alcoholic here....Just kidding! During the year, we may have a glass of wine with dinner. That is pretty much it. Even if we go somewhere that served alcohol, we don't drink. BUT....on a cruise is VERY different for us.

We don't have to worry about our jobs, driving, responsibilities, etc..etc...

We usually start out with a Bloody Mary or two in the morning.

A Cosmo or two in the afternoon (hubby drinks 7&7's)

At dinner, a glass of wine or two. (usually two)

AND...if we go to a show, a night-cap..

We are on VACATION with no responsibilities!!!! So, yes, it is worth it for us to get the drink package. PLUS, we love the specialty coffees and bottled water (which can quickly add up)

With or without a bev package, Do you drink more on a cruise? I know I drink way more than the medical recommendation of 1.5 oz. Per day for a female and 3 ozs. per day for a male.

How can this be right or is it common?

Those guidelines are set for lifelong health. I don't think a week or two weeks of additional indulgence will seriously impact one's health. It's what one does the other 50 weeks of the year that end up making a difference over a lifetime.

I drink less now on a regular basis than I did even a few years ago. But on a cruise (or other vacation) I'll probably have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and maybe one other pre- or post-dinner drink. I don't tend to drink during the day -- it just makes me sleepy.

Being on a cruise, you don't need to drive, so no drink/driving concerns to stop us having a drink. If we feel like a beer or wine at lunch, dinner or any other time we will have one. Mind you we do the same at home, subject to driving.

On a ship, we probably drink more, as we are on holiday. However, we have never found a drink package that would have saved us money.

Let's just say drink packages are very good for us. At home all of my drinks are 3oz and I rarely have just one. BUT! I drink a lot of water as well, like two to three liters a day. Yes, I do have a strong bladder. ;)

I am pretty sure ta a glass of wine has more tan 1.5 oz. of wine in it? Second glass of wine with dinner please and then an after dinner low ball in the lounge?

That doesn't even touch the afternoon at the pool. Now I feel like a lush.

I am pretty sure ta a glass of wine has more tan 1.5 oz. of wine in it?

The guidelines actually define one alcoholic drink as follows:

One alcoholic drink-equivalent is described as containing 14 g (0.6 fl oz) of pure alcohol. The following are reference beverages that are one alcoholic drink-equivalent: 12 fluid ounces of regular beer (5% alcohol), 5 fluid ounces of wine (12% alcohol), or 1.5 fluid ounces of 80 proof distilled spirits (40% alcohol).

The issue here of course, is that the guidelines have no basis in fact. Having lived in Spain for several years, I can vouch for the fact that if the guidelines had any resemblance to reality, every Spaniard woukd be dead by the age of 30!

New evidence now suggest that moderate drinkers live longer than teetotalers. Just off to open my first bottle of wine for the day!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app