How much Drinking

JMorris271

Welcome to CC. What "proof" are you basing your comment on?

Some friends and I did a taste test using Ketel One vodka purchased on the ship and the same from a bottle smuggled onboard. The bar tender showed us their bottle and it said 80-proof (40% alcohol), but clearly we all could taste the difference. The bottle from home was clearly stronger. We also noticed that we could drink all day and night and would only get a moderate buzz. As one guy put it, "there is no way I can drink five martini's."

Finally the bartender confessed that the alcohol content is lower. It's manufactured that way for sale to bars offering all-inclusives, ladies night specials, two for one drinks, etc. He said they buy that because if they didn't, cruisers, particularly those with booze packages would drink way too much, which of course could lead to everything from alcohol poisoning to fights, etc. He said the only thing that isn't lower alcohol was beer and wine.

Some friends and I did a taste test using Ketel One vodka purchased on the ship and the same from a bottle smuggled onboard. The bar tender showed us their bottle and it said 80-proof (40% alcohol), but clearly we all could taste the difference. The bottle from home was clearly stronger. We also noticed that we could drink all day and night and would only get a moderate buzz. As one guy put it, "there is no way I can drink five martini's."

Finally the bartender confessed that the alcohol content is lower. It's manufactured that way for sale to bars offering all-inclusives, ladies night specials, two for one drinks, etc. He said they buy that because if they didn't, cruisers, particularly those with booze packages would drink way too much, which of course could lead to everything from alcohol poisoning to fights, etc. He said the only thing that isn't lower alcohol was beer and wine.

I think that bartender was pulling your leg. Many of these cruise lines are based in the US and the penalties would simply not be the risk based on the laws. Also, it's highly unlikely Kettle One is making separate patches of lower proof alcohol yet marking it as higher proof alcohol.

Some friends and I did a taste test using Ketel One vodka purchased on the ship and the same from a bottle smuggled onboard. The bar tender showed us their bottle and it said 80-proof (40% alcohol), but clearly we all could taste the difference. The bottle from home was clearly stronger.

This likely has more to do with the quality of the spirit rather than the alcohol content.

Not buying it! What cruise line was this on? If anything it appears the bartender was pouring light shots. You should have stuck with the "smuggled" vodka.:rolleyes:

Edited by davekathy

Hogwash.:o

Probably shouldn't believe everything you get told by the crew on a cruise ship, especially the bar staff.

I only drink when I have dinner at a restaurant. I also have to drive myself home, so that means one cocktail or one glass of wine :wine-glass:. On a cruise, the Captain is driving :cool:, so I may have a martini :cocktail: before dinner and a glass of wine :wine-glass: with dinner. So yes, I drink more on a cruise. The cruise line could care less about health recommendations. ;p

Roz

I used to drink at home but stopped because of the calories (and overdoing it sometimes). But a cruise is a completely different animal. I get the drinks package on NCL because it's "free" but so far haven't bought it on other lines because I'm not sure the math will work. At best, I might come pretty close to the daily rate, but...I might not, especially on a busy port day. It's something I'll always look at with a cruise, but it so often will work out to a drink or two more than I'm likely to consume. Then again, I like being able to order a drink without thinking about the bill I'm going to get the end. "I want another, but ugh...another $10...by the time I get the bill, it's going to be so ugly." It's nice to be free from that.

I am pretty sure ta a glass of wine has more tan 1.5 oz. of wine in it? Second glass of wine with dinner please and then an after dinner low ball in the lounge?

That doesn't even touch the afternoon at the pool. Now I feel like a lush.

A 5 oz glass of wine is the equivalent of 1.5 oz of liquor.

With or without a bev package, Do you drink more on a cruise? I know I drink way more than the medical recommendation of 1.5 oz. Per day for a female and 3 ozs. per day for a male.

How can this be right or is it common?

The only beverages for me on a cruise or not on a cruise are coffee,tea,water and cranberry juice.