Anything Québec (Quebec) City....

Jolie_Cruiser

any rec. on best hotel to stay in? and ease of getting to the RCI port..thanks

We stayed at Le Champlain Hotel on Rue Saint-Anne. We booked the loft on the top floor through AirBnb, which I believe the loft is owned by either the owner of the hotel or the manager of the hotel. Excellent location, walking distance to everything, and the port area is approximately 10 minutes away.

• 3 weeks later...

We plan to fly into Quebec on Oct. 6th and rent a car for 2 days. A question for those who are familiar with driving in Quebec. How difficult is it for non french speakers to drive there? Are the road signs difficult to understand? Do our phone directions work there? Thank you in advance for any info.

Rich

We plan to fly into Quebec on Oct. 6th and rent a car for 2 days. A question for those who are familiar with driving in Quebec. How difficult is it for non french speakers to drive there? Are the road signs difficult to understand? Do our phone directions work there? Thank you in advance for any info.

Rich

Street names, town names are generally French of course - but the style of signs are the same as highways across Canada, which are very similar to the US. A car rented locally will have km/h on the main speedo dial, so the fact limits are in km/h means just match the numbers, no need to convert on the fly. A phone with a signal will still get map data - you may be paying more for it, that's down to your cell package!

We found our many & varied road trips to & through Quebec to be mostly painless in terms of roadsigns - the only problem was that in older parts of Montreal & Quebec City it seemed like every second street was Saint Something, and our GPS massacred the pronunciations since we left it in English. If your directions are given as 'take 3rd on left' you'll be fine, but if it's 'turn left on St Fill-In-As-Applicable' you might miss a turn here and there on urban streets unless you drive slowly enough to read the small street signs. The missus in the passenger seat started looking at the actual GPS screen and telling me 'X streets further' and that took care of it for us, so I could keep my eyes firmly on the road (Quebecois drivers in general are a bit speedy and at least in Montreal it seems amber lights mean 'hit the gas!')

• Like 1

Happy Friday, everyone! I just realized that my parents’ 52nd anniversary will be the Sunday night we’re in Quebec City. We are staying at the downtown Marriott.

Could someone recommend a nice but not overly fancy restaurant to take them to? Either lunch or dinner is fine. My father is strictly a meat and potatoes man, so more country cooking than city cooking. My mother and I are by no means foodies, but are more adventurous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy Friday, everyone! I just realized that my parents’ 52nd anniversary will be the Sunday night we’re in Quebec City. We are staying at the downtown Marriott.

Could someone recommend a nice but not overly fancy restaurant to take them to? Either lunch or dinner is fine. My father is strictly a meat and potatoes man, so more country cooking than city cooking. My mother and I are by no means foodies, but are more adventurous.

I think that Aux Anciens Canadiens is a safe bet for you. There are quite literal meat & potato dishes (dad could try a Pâté Chinois - basically a beef shepherd's pie - or if he doesn't mind interesting meats a Tourtière which has venison in this resto IIRC). You can try bison/boar/caribou/duck/pheasant as well as the usual cow/chicken/pig and some 'fancier' French-type saucy dishes; it's traditional Quebecois 'country food' which means grounded in French techniques but with local produce and less fussiness, to summarize very succinctly, and the building it's in is super-old and right in the historic part of the city; well-known and easily-found from the Marriott downtown (<10mins walk).

My dad's much the same, but I've been pretty successful at getting him to try craploads of stuff in Canada that he'd never order himself back home by hitting restos with different language menus, ordering for him, and just telling him the English explanation of the key stuff in the meal - now he loves Izakayas (Japanese 'tapas pubs') but he'd never have gone in willingly if I hadn't sold him on pitchers of lager, pork chops, chicken wings, sausages & beans;-)

• 5 weeks later...
Flights update

"Air Canada Rouge to provide service between Québec City and Toronto starting July 1st, 2018"

https://www.aeroportdequebec.com/en/about/press-releases/air-canada-rouge-provide-service-between-qu%C3%A9bec-city-and-toronto-starting-july

Does this mean my A.C. Rouge flight from Toronto to Quebec City in September will not be in a PROP plane??? I hope that is the case, as I was dreading that!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Anyone know where best area to stay post cruise in Quebec city? Close to airport? Recommendations appreciated.

Best depends what you're going to do, but 'Not near the airport' is a pretty safe bet!

Since most folks who want to see QC want to see the old, downtown bits being based there if you can afford it is a no brainer. When budget is the more important part of the equation things get trickier, but if you can afford the rates at the Chateau Frontenac (Fairmont chain) that will put you slap bang in the centre of the nice looking parts. When someone else isn't paying my tab, I've had some great prices at the Hilton downtown, and the BW+ Centre-Ville is close enough in to walk around the historic bits from. We even once stayed over in Levis (we were road-tripping through) and came across for the evening on the ferry and found the commute surprisingly short (and of course with fantastic views looking over to the Chateau!)

• 2 weeks later...
Active hotel thread from the Holland America forum:

"Quebec hotels with view of Hotel Frontenac"

Anyone know where best area to stay post cruise in Quebec city? Close to airport? Recommendations appreciated.

I agree with the other poster that there's not much point spending time close the airport in QC. The old city is so charming, get in as close as you can afford. Looks like a 20 minute or so cab ride to the airport. No public transit that's viable, by the looks of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone familiar with where Hotel Clarendon is in Quebec City? I have reservations and would like recommendations for good breakfast and dinner spots nearby.

I hope you just mean familiar with the dining options, rather than that you booked the hotel not knowing where it is!?

You're slap bang in the heart of the old, upper part of the city, almost stone-throwing distance from the picture-postcard Chateau Frontenac. Very close by are two of the best restos in the city if you want a delicious (but not cheap) dinner - Le Continental and Saint-Amour - and the slightly cheaper Aux Anciens Canadiens. Two quirkier options I've frequently returned to, much further down the cost scale, are Pub St Alexandre (good beer list, good scotch list, and surprisingly good food especially for an 'English' pub) and Le Hobbit - I only went to the latter because of the name, big Tolkien fan, but it's actually pretty good food too; in keeping with their name they offer breakfasts every day until late enough to eat Second Breakfast;-)

Other brekky options - several branches of Cochon Dingue around the city do perfectly serviceable food, but for me you really should try Lapin Saute at least once even though it involves heading down to the lower town (if you're a bunny-lover, in the sense of not being able to bring yourself to eat the beasties, they do offer plenty of non-rabbit dishes...)

Can the larger cruise ships dock at Wharf 21-22 (main terminal) or are they slotted for wharf 102-103? We'll be on the Royal Princess and there's another ship scheduled for the same day (Oct 26-27, 2018).

Berth hasn't been allocated yet - schedule here. Sorry, haven't boarded in Quebec to know how big a vessel can fit at the various docks.

I hope you just mean familiar with the dining options, rather than that you booked the hotel not knowing where it is!?

You're slap bang in the heart of the old, upper part of the city, almost stone-throwing distance from the picture-postcard Chateau Frontenac. Very close by are two of the best restos in the city if you want a delicious (but not cheap) dinner - Le Continental and Saint-Amour - and the slightly cheaper Aux Anciens Canadiens. Two quirkier options I've frequently returned to, much further down the cost scale, are Pub St Alexandre (good beer list, good scotch list, and surprisingly good food especially for an 'English' pub) and Le Hobbit - I only went to the latter because of the name, big Tolkien fan, but it's actually pretty good food too; in keeping with their name they offer breakfasts every day until late enough to eat Second Breakfast;-)

Other brekky options - several branches of Cochon Dingue around the city do perfectly serviceable food, but for me you really should try Lapin Saute at least once even though it involves heading down to the lower town (if you're a bunny-lover, in the sense of not being able to bring yourself to eat the beasties, they do offer plenty of non-rabbit dishes...)

You are right, I didn't word that question very well, did I? Lol. I booked the hotel for its location. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Can the larger cruise ships dock at Wharf 21-22 (main terminal) or are they slotted for wharf 102-103? We'll be on the Royal Princess and there's another ship scheduled for the same day (Oct 26-27, 2018).

Large ships certainly can dock at wharves 22 and 21 - the QM2 was at 22 last year. The problem is fitting 2 large ships in at the same time - I don't think you could have the QM2 and the Royal Princess there together, but they could probably fit the Royal Princess and say one of the HAL ships. And if they can't fit both in, the 2nd ship will go to wharf 30, behind the train station - not as nice or convenient as 22 or 21, but a heck of a lot better and closer than 102-103.