What We Don't Want To See On Viking Voyages

ano

We have a thread on what we want to see on Viking Voyages, so I thought I'd start a list on what I DON'T want to see. We have been cruising for 20+ years and been on all the main lines, at those under the "luxury" class.

1) I really DON'T like the "class" system we see emerging on some lines. Take Celebrity with its "Aqua class" and "Concierge class" and "Suite class." I think if they are JUST tied to the room that is fine, like if you have a suite, you get a staff that can message your feet, but in your room only. When a class extends OUTSIDE the room, like a "special restaurant" or lounge, I don't agree with that. (And I have been on both sides of this.)

2) No very strict dress codes. We all work when NOT on vacation, and when on vacation we like to relax. If people like to dress up for dinner, they should be able to, but if they want to wear shorts, there should be a dining area for that as well. It should be classy but flexible.

3) Don't Nickle and Dime. You always pay for gratuities, so make that part of the fare.

4) Don't charge extra for food, drinks, and anything that 95% of the people on the ship consume anyway.

5) Don't charge for excursions, or at least include some basic excursions for everyone. We are all on a cruise to visit places, and obviously we will need some tour of these places. That should be included for everyone.

6) Don't charge for classes or lectures. Crew members could be the tour guides to give the excursions, and could give a lecture before and after.

7) You don't need to give "freebies" to attract people because they are all included anyway.

8) No "art auctions" or anything where outside people come in to make money. Outside people are fine but not where profits are involved.

When I leave the ship I should have with me great memories and pictures, not a giant bill at the purser's office.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks, this is Virgin, for those not familiar with the brand, it will attempt to be hip, it will way over sell itself in it's advertising and it will be pretty good in parts and it will do some things that will leave us all shacking our heads wondering what the heck they were thinking...

• 2 months later...

No children

No jeans, shorts or t-shirts at dinner (it will be a classy ship and people should dress accordingly - not in tuxedos or suits but not like you're having a barbecue in your backyard.

No nickel and dining (didn't know that some cruise lines charge for lectures - wow).

No "class" system. Once onboard - everyone should be treated the same and allowed everywhere on the ship. When you pay for a large suite, your amenities should be inside of the suite (as is done on luxury cruise lines).

neverbeenhere: You can sail on a luxury cruise line for $1,000/person/night. This ship will be too large to be considered luxury. I'm guessing that per diems from $500-700/person/night would be more in the ballpark but that is just a guess.

All the best to this new cruise line!

Please do not:

1) No guests under 18

2) No class system. No separate dining rooms and lounges. I will not patronize this new cruise line if the increasing class segmentation found on the likes of Celebrity and NCL emerge on Virgin. Have all passengers mingling and enjoying each others company like on Oceania!

3) Do not remove the traditional high forward observation lounge. A major negative trend in the mass lines is elimination of any relationship to the sea. The Celebrity new Edge ship supposedly has no front viewing area open to all - assigned to suites I believe

4) I do not want to see poor quality food nor service. No edible oil coffee creamer on the morning breakfast tray like on Celebrity. Oceania is the base line for Virgin to be frank regarding quality, presentation and multiple dining styles "themes"

5) No "all inclusive" like on Azamara, Viking etc. I will not pay for other guests booze. I wish to arrange my own shore excursions

6) No "shilling" for sales like Celebrity. Do not wish to be harrassed to purchase anything. Have items and services for sale but make it classy and discreete like on Oceania

7) No group bookings that could be reasonably anticipated to fundamentally change the nature/tone/quality/access of the typical Virgin cruise experience. Group bookings yes, but be choosy to ensure the Virgin typical experience is delivered to every guest very single time

Mr. Branson, well done and thank you for your entreprenuership and ambition to provide a cruise product for guests who are fed up with the mass cruise lines.

What is oil coffee creamer?

All the best to this new cruise line!

Please do not:

What is oil coffee creamer?

4) I do not want to see poor quality food nor service. No edible oil coffee creamer on the morning breakfast tray like on Celebrity. Oceania is the base line for Virgin to be frank regarding quality, presentation and multiple dining styles "themes"

5) No "all inclusive" like on Azamara, Viking etc. I will not pay for other guests booze. I wish to arrange my own shore excursions

6) No "shilling" for sales like Celebrity. Do not wish to be harrassed to purchase anything. Have items and services for sale but make it classy and discreete like on Oceania

7) No group bookings that could be reasonably anticipated to fundamentally change the nature/tone/quality/access of the typical Virgin cruise experience. Group bookings yes, but be choosy to ensure the Virgin typical experience is delivered to every guest very single time

Mr. Branson, well done and thank you for your entreprenuership and ambition to provide a cruise product for guests who are fed up with the mass cruise lines.

• 4 months later...
I was wondering if anyone knew any new information about Virgin Voyages. With your suggestions above, what do you figure the daily rate at? $ 1,200 per person?

At that rate they will be out of business very fast. About half that might be the right number but we need more details about the ship and what we will get. Richard Branson seems to do things right so I think they will come up with the right answer. Hope so as I would love to try Virgin. :):):)

Edited by RJB
spelling