Originally posted by kubies
How is Holland America for solos?
I took my first ever cruise on Holland America last September -- 14 days, roundtrip from Seattle to Alaska. I can't compare it with anything else, but I had a wonderful time. The "vibe" is more mature and less frenetic than I assume exists on other cruise lines. I was never made to feel "odd" for traveling single -- quite the opposite, in fact. I did "anytime" dining and that worked out great as I was able to eat when I wanted and could share a table each night. Met a lot of nice folks, lots of other "solo" travelers, etc. Just wonderful!

What isn't so great is the 100% single supplement. I wish HAL would discount that, but so far, they haven't. It didn't stop me from booking 2 more cruises on HAL: 38-day Voyage of the Vikings this summer (north Atlantic, Greenland, Iceland, Norway etc.), and 28-day Hawaii-Tahiti-Marquesas in Mar/Apr 2019.

The best deal I've found so far on reduced single supplement is on Regent Seven Seas -- it was about 40% (as opposed to 100% for most other lines). But they're an "all-inclusive," so the base fares tend to be higher anyway -- still, you get drinks (including wine/booze), all excursions, gratuities -- everything included. I have a 29-day Vancouver --> Miami via Panama booked for this fall (Sept/October). So we'll see.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature