Best cruise line for solo senior

BR47

I have cruised six times as a "solo" I I spent 12 days recently on the Queen Mary 2 and loved it so much I will be doing the same trip this November for 13 days. After being on the Queen Mary 2 I cannot see myself going on any other ship I had an amazing time and everyone was so friendly. You will not feel out of place.

Nice to read this -- I've booked two back-to-back cruises on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 in the fall of 2019 (yes, almost 2 yrs from now): a 19-day roundtrip transatlantic from NYC --> Hamburg, followed immediately by a 14-day rountrip NYC --> Quebec (total 33 days). By that time, I will have completed 3 Holland America cruises (14-day Alaska last fall, 38-Day "Voyage of the Viking" this summer, and 28-day Hawaii-Tahiti-Marquesas in spring 2019), a Regent Seven Seas 29-day Panama cruise, and an Oceania 7-day "birthday" cruise to Alaska. I wasn't sure how Cunard/Queen Mary 2 would be for a single, but your note sealed the deal. Thanks!

How is Holland America for solos?

I took my first ever cruise on Holland America last September -- 14 days, roundtrip from Seattle to Alaska. I can't compare it with anything else, but I had a wonderful time. The "vibe" is more mature and less frenetic than I assume exists on other cruise lines. I was never made to feel "odd" for traveling single -- quite the opposite, in fact. I did "anytime" dining and that worked out great as I was able to eat when I wanted and could share a table each night. Met a lot of nice folks, lots of other "solo" travelers, etc. Just wonderful!

What isn't so great is the 100% single supplement. I wish HAL would discount that, but so far, they haven't. It didn't stop me from booking 2 more cruises on HAL: 38-day Voyage of the Vikings this summer (north Atlantic, Greenland, Iceland, Norway etc.), and 28-day Hawaii-Tahiti-Marquesas in Mar/Apr 2019.

The best deal I've found so far on reduced single supplement is on Regent Seven Seas -- it was about 40% (as opposed to 100% for most other lines). But they're an "all-inclusive," so the base fares tend to be higher anyway -- still, you get drinks (including wine/booze), all excursions, gratuities -- everything included. I have a 29-day Vancouver --> Miami via Panama booked for this fall (Sept/October). So we'll see.

• 2 months later...
that matters more to me that a persons marital status. Single,

divorced, widow/married............that is just not a priority for me.

Marital status has nothing to do with traveling solo. I've met solo passenger who are married, some who are divorced, and some who are single. And I've met single people who aren't traveling solo too. It's about who you're traveling with, not one's marital or social status.

To the OP: what is the "best" line depends on what you want, what your priorities are, and how you want to budget your vacation funds (more frequent but less expensive cruises, or less frequent but more expensive options).

Marital status has nothing to do with traveling solo. I've met solo passenger who are married, some who are divorced, and some who are single. And I've met single people who aren't traveling solo too. It's about who you're traveling with, not one's marital or social status.

To the OP: what is the "best" line depends on what you want, what your priorities are, and how you want to budget your vacation funds (more frequent but less expensive cruises, or less frequent but more expensive options).

I know marital status has nothing to do with traveling solo.......that was my whole point:eek:.......that was what I was explaining........I don't care if someone is married and traveling solo, has a partner who doesn't like to travel, etc...etc....etc........I have met all of the above that you mentioned........not sure why you quoted my post.

I was saying the same thing. Maybe you misunderstood what I meant or maybe it is semantics. (saying the same thing in

a different way).

Edited by Lois R

I'm taking my first solo cruise in August with Silversea... I've never sailed with them before but thought I'd give them a try as I've read some good comments about them. All advice very welcome

Hi, I took my first cruise with them last summer and will be going again this July:D........it was fabulous:D

Food, service, everything is awesome. If you have any questions I will be happy to try and answer them.

Thanks Lois .. I'm wondering about meals as a solo ... thinking about MDR for most evenings, and will ask to sit with other people. I plan a trip to the speciality restaurant for a change, but wonder if it might seem a bit odd eating in the speciality restaurant on my own?? Would it be acceptable to take a book to the speciality restaurant ... just in case I need to occupy myself between courses. Paid my fare today and looking forward to my holiday even if it's taking me outside of my comfort zone. Checked the roll call and I'm the only person on there at present....

T. I plan a trip to the speciality restaurant for a change, but wonder if it might seem a bit odd eating in the speciality restaurant on my own?? Would it be acceptable to take a book to the speciality restaurant ... .

Don't deny yourself the experience of one of the specialty restaurants just because you're traveling solo! Yes, take a book (or your phone, or your Kindle), and no one will say or look askance if you're there alone. You're not the first and you won't be the last to dine solo there.

Thanks Lois .. I'm wondering about meals as a solo ... thinking about MDR for most evenings, and will ask to sit with other people. I plan a trip to the speciality restaurant for a change, but wonder if it might seem a bit odd eating in the speciality restaurant on my own?? Would it be acceptable to take a book to the speciality restaurant ... just in case I need to occupy myself between courses. Paid my fare today and looking forward to my holiday even if it's taking me outside of my comfort zone. Checked the roll call and I'm the only person on there at present....

Most of the roll calls for SS seem to be slow.......but it is very easy to meet people on board:)......as for dinner,

I have to say, they are VERY welcoming towards solo cruisers.......since the snips are so small, the staff makes a big effort with seating solos together. And as for dining in a Specialty Restaurant on your own? The staff/crew are absolutely wonderful. If you want to bring a book, no problem. You may find it very easy to meet other folks on your own too and end up dining with them as well.......the vibe on board is warm and inviting.. Hope you have a great time.

How is Holland America for solos?

I have cruised twice with HAL in recent years as a solo, and had a ball both times. They had regular solo gatherings and we became a good little group for dinners etc. Plus, if you are booked on tours, especially through CC roll calls, you are bound to meet people, so it's all good. Enjoy!!

NCL has a nightly pre-dinner get-together for all solo cruiser's, that is especially well attended on their newer ships that have a Studio Lounge. They have a member of their cruise activities staff host the event, make introduction's, conduct games, and arrange for group dinner's in specialty restaurants, as well as a sign up sheet for shore excursion's. They make an effort to draw shy or introverted attendee's into the activities. Solo's of all ages attend. It is posted on their daily...

At the end of the hour, all are invited to the main dining room to share large tables.

In my experience, no other line comes even close to matching this...:)

Thanks Bob, great to hear that. I'm about to go on my 8th cruise but first with NCL (Breakaway on 29th May out of Copenhagen) in a studio. Knowing in advance about the nightly get togethers and dinners make for really good news. Fran