Jim Zim's MSC Seaside Review With 84 Photos & 8 Videos

Spaniel Lover

The "MSC For Me" App

MSC has a smartphone app called "MSC For Me" which you can use onboard the ship. It connects via the ship's WiFi network and not via a cellular network, so you can leave your phone in airplane mode (but with WiFi turned on) and be assured that you are not using any roaming data. Even though it connects via the ship's WiFi network, you do NOT have to purchase an Internet access plan to use the app.

The app really doesn't offer a whole lot of functionality, and I certainly wouldn't say it's something you absolutely need to download and use to enhance your cruise experience. The most useful thing about it is that you can make reservations for the shows in the Metropolitan Theater... but when you fire up the app, you'll spend a long time trying to figure out how to do so. It's not intuitive at all. It's a lot easier to just make show reservations from the TV in your cabin, or from one of the interactive electronic kiosks throughout the ship.

The other thing that's handy about having the app is that it gives you easy access to the deck plans. So, if you're trying to figure out something about the ship's layout, it's pretty easy to look it up on the app. A handy feature built in with the deck plans is the ability to have the app show you, based on where you currently are, where the nearest restroom is.

What struck me more about the app wasn't what it did, but what it couldn't do. In a perfect world, you'd be able to look up the menu for every night of the week in the main dining room. You'd also be able to look up the current location of other people who have given you permission to look up their location, such as your wife and kids. When MSC first announced the development of the app, they did say a kid-finder feature was going to be included. But either they couldn't get it to work reliably, or they ran in to some other roadblock... because there was no such functionality during the week I was onboard.

Perhaps the most important feature they didn't build in to their app was a chat function. I had sailed on the Carnival Vista a few months earlier, and they, too, had a smartphone app. The coolest feature of Carnival's app was the ability to chat with the other people you were travelling with. We were sailing with some friends of ours, and being able to contact each other via Carnival's app made it SO EASY to coordinate schedules and arrange to meet.

Hub%20App%20-%20IMG_6948%20-1.jpg

Disembarkation In Miami

Remember that earlier I mentioned there were two ugly incidents where things were poorly organized and customer service was poor. The first had been in Jamaica, and on disembarkation day in Miami I was about to have the second incident.

As I mentioned, we had pre-booked two beach shore excursions from home, and paid for them by credit card, long before the cruise. Due to the bad weather during our cruise, both of those beach excursions ended up getting cancelled. But instead of refunding the amount we paid back to the credit card that we had paid with, MSC posted the refunds as onboard credit to our spending account on the ship. In addition, as part of the incentives offered at the time I booked this cruise, we had a $150 onboard credit on our account. So, that was a whole lot of onboard credit, and by the end of the cruise we had not used it all. There had been daily service charges of $25 deducted (that's basically the mandatory gratuity that goes to the crew) and we had spent $108 for our meal at the steakhouse, plus $23 to upgrade to the fastest Internet package that they offered. But that wasn't enough to use up all the onboard credit we had. At the end of our cruise, we had a negative balance on our onboard spending account of $187.58. In other words, we didn't owe them any money at the end of the cruise, they actually owed us $187.58 due to the refund of those two shore excursions that I had paid for before the cruise.

That brings us to the morning of disembarkation, and things were a little bit of a mess onboard. Our flight wasn't until 11:45 AM, so we weren't really in any big rush to get off the ship. But MSC made it very clear in their disembarkation instructions that they wanted all passengers out of their cabins by 7 AM, to give the room stewards enough time to do their thing. In the disembarkation information that MSC gave to us, the schedule showed that "express walk off" (where you carry your own luggage off with you) would occur from 6:30 AM to 7:30 AM. Yet, by 7 AM, there hadn't been a single announcement about disembarkation getting started. Finally, a few minutes past 7, the Cruise Director announced that express disembarkation could begin, and that ANY passenger that was ready to carry all of their luggage off the ship could proceed to the Piazza for disembarkation.

I've been on 43 cruises, and I've seen how a proper disembarkation is done. They never tell everybody all at the same time that they can leave. This causes a gigantic stampede. The way it's always done is they do it in groups... usually by floors. For example, they'll say if your cabin is on deck 10 or deck 11, and you can carry all your luggage with you, you can proceed to disembarkation now. And then 10 minutes later they'll do two more decks, and ten minutes after that two more. This spreads out the flow of passengers so that there isn't a giant stampede all at one time.

So, on MSC Seaside, there was a stampede a few minutes after 7 AM, as everyone that wanted to do express walk off all proceeded to the elevators at the same time. And after waiting and waiting and waiting for an elevator, when they all finally made it through the elevators, they all reached the Piazza at the same time. This was a bit of a mess, but the worst was yet to come for me and Kellyn.

Disembarkation.jpg

When we finally made it all the way through the very long line in the Piazza, and reached the final door leading from the Piazza to the gangway ashore, I handed over my keycard to the guy that scans it to record that we're officially off the ship. Instead of hearing the nice little ding sound that you hear when you're cleared to exit the ship, there was a loud buzzing sound instead. The guy looked at his device, and told us "You can't leave the ship. You've got a negative balance on your onboard account. You're going to have to go to guest services to clear this up first."

Now keep in mind that we had a NEGATIVE balance on our account. All they had to do was process a refund back to the credit card that I had on file, the same credit card I had used at home to purchase those two excursions which ended up getting cancelled. We didn't owe them any money. They actually owed us money. But instead of just crediting that money back to my credit card that they had on file, they denied us disembarkation, and made me go to guest services to clear things up.

So, I found a place to tuck Kellyn and all of our luggage out of the way, so that she wouldn't cause a traffic jam for all the other disembarking passengers, and I headed down to the guest services desk. Oh my, what a horrible mess awaited me there!

Lined up in front of guest services was a gigantic line of unhappy customers, all waiting to resolve issues before disembarking It wasn't a happy crowd. I stood in that line for 45 minutes, until I finally got to the front of the line and got to speak to someone to resolve things. Luckily, our flight was not until 11:45 AM, which meant I had plenty of time to get all this resolved, but I hate to think of how upset and frustrated I would have been if I had a somewhat earlier flight.

The way MSC dealt with that line of people was strange, too. There was one guest services rep who kept coming out from behind the desk and talking to people in the line. It seemed like perhaps she was doing a form of triage... checking to see why people were in the line, seeing if maybe she could direct some of them elsewhere, or trying to answer a quick question so that they didn't have to be in the line. But she didn't start doing her triage with the people in the front of the line who had been waiting the longest, she seemed to randomly pick people in the line and see what they were there for. A lot of them she spoke to in Italian. Some of them she would pull out of the line, take them up to the guest services desk, and immediately help them. (Yacht Club guests, perhaps?) After helping someone at the desk, she came back to the line but started helping people at the BACK of the line... the people who had been in line the shortest amount of time. At no point did she ever check with me or the people immediately in front or behind me, to see if she could help us. We were just left to stand in the line for 45 minutes. It was a bizarre customer service moment. But wait, there's more!

When I finally got up to the front of the line, I explained my situation to the guest services rep. I explained about the negative balance on my account, and how it had occurred. I requested that he simply refund the balance to my credit card on file. He brought up my account on his computer, thought about things for a while, and then said he wouldn't be able to refund the money, because of the $150 onboard spending credit I had been given as part of the booking promotion. It was an onboard credit only, and had to be used onboard. It could not be refunded. I explained that I had a plane to catch, didn't want to be late, just wanted to disembark the ship. I requested that he please just zero out the account. Forget about the $187.58 negative balance. As far as I was concerned, I didn't need it. Let's call it good, set my balance to zero, and let me off the ship.

He stepped away from the counter and disappeared through a door in to the office in the back. He was gone a few minutes, presumably conferring with his supervisor or someone with management. When he came back, he said that while he was not able to refund the $150 since that was non-refundable onboard credit, that left $37.58 that he was able to refund. And he proceeded to go in to his cash drawer, and hand me $37.58 in cash and coins. That seemed like it would be the end of the story, and I would be allowed off the ship. But it got even stranger after that!

After he handed me the $37.58 in cash, he was looking at his computer screen for a while and then he excused himself and went back through the door to the back room. After a few minutes back there, presumably conferring further with his boss, he came back out and announced that he was able to refund the whole amount after all... and he proceeded to hand me another $150 in cash from his cash box. Then he closed out my account, and told me I was good to disembark.

It was a totally odd example of customer service. In the end, they somehow managed to do the right thing... but they sure put me through the wringer to get there!

Was I the first passenger in the history of MSC cruises to ever end the cruise with a negative balance? Had they never developed a procedure for this? Look, if their rules say it's not refundable, just zero the account automatically. Don't deny the passenger from disembarking. And if the rules say the amount is refundable, just automatically credit it to the card on file. Don't deny the passenger from disembarking and then pay him his refund in cash. That's really a lousy process. And that's the way my cruise on the MSC Seaside ended.

Downloads

If you're interested in the MSC Seaside, I think you'll also find the following PDF files to be quite interesting. Most are scans of documents that MSC gave me during our cruise, a few are interesting things I found on MSC's web site...

Getting There Is Half The Fun!

We live in California and our cruise departed from Miami, so we had a bit of an adventure to get from here to there. Normally, we'd fly out of the little regional airport 20 minutes from our house, but to get to Miami from that airport involves three flights. Since our cruise was in January, I didn't really want to gamble on three flights. January is notorious for weather delays, and the more flights you have to take, the greater your odds of having a

snafu. So, I thought I'd try to reduce the chances of a snafu by just scheduling a non-stop flight to Miami out of the Los Angeles International airport. LAX is about a three and a half hour drive from our house, but I figured my chances of travel success were higher doing a three and a half hour drive so that I only had one flight after that. In retrospect, I figured wrong. Here's my travel snafu:

Montecito-mudslide-union-pacific-railroad.jpg

Photo by Mike Eliason - Santa Barbara County Fire Department

The direct way to get from our house to LAX involves driving down highway 101 through the Santa Barbara area. Unfortunately, a few days before our flight, there were heavy rains in the mountains behind Santa Barbara that caused huge mudslides in areas where wildfires had burned off the vegetation earlier in the year. Those mudslides completely blocked highway 101 in both directions, for almost two weeks! Not only was I not able to drive the direct route through Santa Barbara to get to the airport before our cruise, it still wasn't cleaned up a week later at the end of our cruise. So, in both directions, we took a long detour to get around the mess in the Santa Barbara area. But that's OK, it only added about a half hour to the drive in each direction.

That non-stop flight we took from LAX to Miami was pretty cool. No, I've understated it. That non-stop flight to Miami was GREAT... the best flight we've ever taken! We flew with Jet Blue, and used their first-class service, which they call "Mint". We had big, comfortable seats that could fold all the way down flat if you wanted to take a nap. And there was a nice entertainment system built in to the seatback in front of us.

JetBlue%20-%20IMG_20180111_074437.jpg

Shortly after take-off from Los Angeles, I snapped this photo of Catalina island, off the coast of Southern California...

Catalina%20-%20GOPR0282.JPG

Along the way, there were cocktails for the first-class passengers.

It was a 9 AM flight, but hey, it's five o'clock somewhere, right?

Jet%20Blue%20Booze%20-%20IMG_20180111_103235.jpg

When we finally reached the west coast of Florida,

there was a pretty great view of Sanibel Island and the Fort Meyers area...

Florida%20-%20GOPR0298.JPG

Still photos give you a glimpse at the fun we had on the way to our cruise, but a video brings it to life.

Please take a look at the video I made that shows all the fun we had getting from California to Miami:

j3KFS6hGdcQ

Or

to watch it on YouTube so you can view it full screen and in HD

Finally, one last video for you, before we officially conclude the story of our cruise on the MSC Seaside.

Here's a video I shot in Miami the morning of embarkation:

AfzY7fI-axQ

to watch the video on YouTube

Summary & Conclusion

This has been a long-winded review, and I thank you for enduring it. Let me see if I can summarize the whole thing in a couple of paragraphs.

There was a lot I liked about the MSC Seaside... especially the suite with a Jacuzzi on the balcony, and all the perks (such as free drinks and free gelato) that came with the cabin. I enjoyed the CruiseCritic meet-and-mingle, and LOVED the cabin crawl that the CruiseCritic members organized. The weather sucked, but it was great that MSC had the foresight to design a swimming pool area with a glass dome over it... a great place to hang out on a cool, cloudy day in the Caribbean.

It seemed like MSC made a lot of decisions to please their European passengers at the expense of their American passengers. This surprised me, since the MSC public relations team spent about a year trying to convince American cruisers that the Seaside was the first MSC ship designed specifically for them.

There were several big logistics snafus and customer service snafus during our cruise. They have a long way to go to learn what good customer service looks like. I imagine the logistical problems will get solved over time.

I honestly can't recommend the MSC Seaside to my American cruising friends. There are so many other cruises you could take where things are tailored to American tastes in food and entertainment, and where logistics issues have long ago been worked out. My suggestion would be that my American friends should cruise on the Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Breakaway, Carnival Vista, Carnival Breeze, Anthem Of The Seas, or Harmony Of The Seas... long before they cruise on MSC Seaside. For my American friends that do still think they'd like to experience the MSC Seaside, I'd suggest stepping up to the Yacht Club.

European folks will be much happier with MSC Seaside, but please keep in mind that as of January 2017 the crew was still fighting a steep learning curve. You'd be better off to give this ship a year to work out some of its issues.

That's it! That's the full story. I'd love to read your comments. It's your turn now. I'll check back from time to time to answer any questions.

Excellent review and incredibly detailed. This is the gold standard in reviews, in my humble opinion. I am personally looking forward to the European experience and I know you didn’t like that part, but I thought your review was very fair minded and you gave kudos where you thought they were deserved. Thank you for the time you invested in putting this together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"

If MSC was really serious about trying to make MSC Seaside a ship that would appeal to Americans more, they'd hire an American cast of singers for their big production shows." - What kind of statement is this? How do you know they are not American?

I haven't been on near the amount of cruises you have but there have been language barriers on each one I have been on. This is not just an MSC problem.

Each of the ships that you are telling other people to go on instead of the Seaside had growing pains as well, While the NCL Escape was my favorite ship I have been on, it was also the worst in terms of service. In my opinion these are growing pains with new ships/crews.

I would rather go to guest services to ensure I received any money back if owed to me. I cancelled an NCL cruise almost two weeks ago, to book another cruise on the Seaside, and I'm still waiting for my deposit to be returned to me.

Like I have said before, I will take your review with a grain of salt, just as everyone should take my reviews/statements with a grain of salt. Everything in this world is subjective. What bothers you, may not bother me, and visa versa. Take your question about the pizza as an example...I would prefer the MSC pizza to the one from your home town...

Anyways thank you for taking the time to do this review.

If anyone reads this, for what its worth I recommend you DO go on the Seaside. Why not give it a chance, just because someone doesn't like it, doesn't mean you won't.

Pizza?

You're from California?

I'm from New Jersey originally. The first pizza picture is how pizza should be.

It's OK that you don't like it.

But don't say that Americans prefer the second pizza (looks like Pizza Hut). Not all of us do.......;p

However, thank you for the rest of your review.

Interesting.

Glad I booked Yacht Club.

Edited by mafig

Does This Ship STINK?

There has been a whole lot said on social media about a foul sewage smell on the MSC Seaside. It's a hot topic on CruiseCritic, on Facebook groups about the MSC Seaside, and even on YouTube. For example, take a look at this YouTube video featuring Amy Donoho:

CyKQ1MFflbw

Amy sailed on the January 6th sailing, and I was on the next week... the January 13th sailing. I can say without any hesitation that we did not smell anywhere near the kind of thing that Amy refers to in her video. Whatever happened on that January 6th cruise to cause that foul odor that Amy described... it certainly didn't happen on the January 13th cruise. Amy specifically mentioned that she could clearly smell the odor in the Piazza. We walked through the Piazza numerous times during the week, and very definitely did not smell the overwhelming horrible smell that she described. She also said she smelled it in the buffet area, another place that we spent quite a bit of time in. There was no such odor in the buffet the week of January 13th.

I should also add that while I do not have a particularly sensitive nose, my wife definitely does. She can smell odors long before I do, and can even detect faint odors that I never detect at all. My wife definitely did not smell the overwhelming horrible odor that Amy describes in her video.

I don't think Amy is lying about what she experienced. What I'm saying is that one week later, that situation did not exist. I also want to say that I know the kind of odor she's talking about... we've occasionally smelled it on other cruises we've been on. In walking around the ship, Kellyn and I did very rarely catch a very brief and very faint foul smell in random locations... but this is something we've experienced on other cruise ships... and it was nowhere close to the horrible overwhelming smell that Amy described in her video.

I can think of quite a few good reasons not to sail on the MSC Seaside, but an overwhelming sewage smell is not one of them. During the week we were aboard, that problem simply did not exist. Don't let yourself get freaked out by reports in social media that say otherwise. What caused the smell that people have reported seemed to have been fixed by January 13th, 2018.

I think that if you and your wife did not smell this odor, then fine, you did not smell it. But please don't say that it simply did not exist. I was on the January 13th sailing and I was on Deck 5 and I smelled it everyday and it was quite strong. In fact I could have filmed the exact same video as the lady above with the exception that I did not smell it strongly in our room.

Nice review and pics, thanks. Don't want to get into cruise line bashing, but really surprised about your comment recommending Carnival, but glad you like it, I guess many do, but not us. Carnival has been the least liked of all our cruises - compared to Holland, Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian, and RCL.

I think that if you and your wife did not smell this odor, then fine, you did not smell it. But please don't say that it simply did not exist. I was on the January 13th sailing and I was on Deck 5 and I smelled it everyday and it was quite strong. In fact I could have filmed the exact same video as the lady above with the exception that I did not smell it strongly in our room.

I apologize. What I meant was that it simply did not exist in the Piazza. I should have been more clear about that. I never set foot on deck 5.

Nice review and pics, thanks. Don't want to get into cruise line bashing, but really surprised about your comment recommending Carnival, but glad you like it, I guess many do, but not us. Carnival has been the least liked of all our cruises - compared to Holland, Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian, and RCL.

Agree on Carnival.

We gave them a chance and had many OK cruises.

No more. The last two did it for us.

I would rather stay home and never cruise again.

I understand why there was a problem getting off the ship.

We always check our account on the next to last day.

We make sure we know what is refundable and non refundable OBC. One time on Norwegian we had non refundable that we thought could be used for the service charge and it seems that we were the first cruise where it was not an option. So off we went to spend it. Make sure you don't leave

$100s behind.

Our last few cruises on Celebrity we were able to get money the last day.:p However, the last cruise we checked and they said it would be refunded on our CC and it was within a few days.

Thanks for sharing your experience ! I always enjoy your videos and reviews . I was so wanting you to LOVE this cruise but I appreciate your honest opinion .

I think a lot of your dislikes are subjective ( tastes of food and tastes in entertainment etc). Different strokes for different folks . But I do like that you don't bash things . You simply share your experience and thoughts.

We really enjoyed our cruise on the Divina last year and are hoping to enjoy our upcoming cruise on the Seaside . We purposely booked in June so as to avoid the kinks and growing pains of a new ship. In your opinion do you feel most of the "issues" you encountered can be worked out ?

Thanks again !

Thanks for the extended review Jim. What I really like is the huge amount of detail you put into explaining everything. Since you rarely gloss over anything, when you get to a topic that interest me I am sure to get the information that I am looking for. I do agree with the your analysis about the advertising leading up to the seaside. That said, I still would like to try it out. Just to see the ship and try something different. I am sure that in time, adjustments and training will lead to fixes to many of the issues that you ran into.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Apart from maybe a touch of ethnic stereotyping (and mind you, "Europeans" includes a wide variety of ethnic groups, same as "Americans"), a very thorough, informative, excellent review. I enjoyed reading very much.

The European/American issue was a bit bothersome to me, which is why I mention it.

Thanks for the wealth of information and the exorbitant amount of time you must have put into this review!

~ M

In your opinion do you feel most of the "issues" you encountered can be worked out?

I think some of the logistical ones will be worked out. They'll figure out how to organize a meet-up for a shore excursion. The Cruise Director will figure out that he can't tell everybody they can all do "express walk-off" all at exactly the same time. The Captain will probably learn to be more careful about pushing the right button on the public address system so non-critical announcements don't go direct to the cabins.

But a whole lot of the situations we ran in to are likely to remain. I think MSC knows who their core customer base is (the Europeans) and they will never do anything on any ship that the Europeans wouldn't like, even a ship that the public relations team actively promotes as being for the North American market.

I also think some of the customer service issues reflect the culture of the company. If they fight tooth and nail to not have to refund a $59 beach excursion on a rainy day, that probably reflects the company's entire attitude towards passengers... and those things don't tend to change much over time unless somebody really high in the organization realizes there's a company-wide problem and decides to make a push to turn things around.

I apologize. What I meant was that it simply did not exist in the Piazza. I should have been more clear about that. I never set foot on deck 5.

You were on deck 5. Seashore restaurant, guest services, atrium. Perhaps not the cabin area.

I was on the January 6th sailing. The ship was NOT engulfed in sewer odors then either. Only twice did I get a whiff of a septic smell. And I kept moving, didn’t dwell on it. Clouds of toxic cigarette smoke didn’t bother any of these sensitive noses?

Thanks for a marathon of a fantastic review. “Gold standard” is appropriate praise. You thoughtfully elaborate how food, service, and entertainment missed the mark for you. Breakfast pizza isn’t exotic. Just go to a gas station. And you carry around Lawry’s seasoning salt like a culinary gunslinger? But now I know how you arrived at your personal conclusions.

"

If MSC was really serious about trying to make MSC Seaside a ship that would appeal to Americans more, they'd hire an American cast of singers for their big production shows." - What kind of statement is this? How do you know they are not American?

I haven't been on near the amount of cruises you have but there have been language barriers on each one I have been on. This is not just an MSC problem.

Each of the ships that you are telling other people to go on instead of the Seaside had growing pains as well, While the NCL Escape was my favorite ship I have been on, it was also the worst in terms of service. In my opinion these are growing pains with new ships/crews.

I would rather go to guest services to ensure I received any money back if owed to me. I cancelled an NCL cruise almost two weeks ago, to book another cruise on the Seaside, and I'm still waiting for my deposit to be returned to me.

Like I have said before, I will take your review with a grain of salt, just as everyone should take my reviews/statements with a grain of salt. Everything in this world is subjective. What bothers you, may not bother me, and visa versa. Take your question about the pizza as an example...I would prefer the MSC pizza to the one from your home town...

Anyways thank you for taking the time to do this review.

If anyone reads this, for what its worth I recommend you DO go on the Seaside. Why not give it a chance, just because someone doesn't like it, doesn't mean you won't.

My goodness... You haven't even cruised on Seaside yet or even MSC (based on your list of cruises) and your so defensive in your comments??!! Suggest you reserve those comments until you can compare an actual MSC experience to other lines.

I understand why there was a problem getting off the ship.

We always check our account on the next to last day.

We make sure we know what is refundable and non refundable OBC. One time on Norwegian we had non refundable that we thought could be used for the service charge and it seems that we were the first cruise where it was not an option. So off we went to spend it. Make sure you don't leave

$100s behind.

Our last few cruises on Celebrity we were able to get money the last day.:p However, the last cruise we checked and they said it would be refunded on our CC and it was within a few days.

I agree...But in Jim's case...based on what he spent in the review.. (Steakhouse over $100 and a few other purchases) I think he exceeded or was close to the $150 OBC .....so I still don't understand why MSC was so confused on this. Maybe Guest Services assumed the excursion credits were OBC only?? Thats all I can come up with???

Another fair and objective review Jim....Thanks!! One comment, at the beginning of your review you attached a link listing the perks/benefits of each experience. I think there was same major omissions on what the Yacht Club is entitled to.... Very few "check marks" shown under Yacht Club. Most that cruise Yacht Club know the enormous benefits/perks they get....but for the average Joe who isn't that knowledgeable about Yacht Club...could lead to some confusion. Thanks!!

Jim, I just spent the last hour and a half reading your review and watching some of your videos, and thank you for such a well-thought and thorough summary. We will be going on this same cruise in 5 days, and despite what sounds like a sub-par buffet, I'm looking forward to it very much. I had to put my foot down to get a balcony room (B2) instead of interior, but no jacuzzi :-) I just want to be able to read outside at night in my jammies, in private.

I'm curious, given that you seem to prefer to go to beaches as opposed to excursions or exploring the various port towns, why you prefer cruising rather than staying at a beach resort (Beaches, Sandals, etc.)?

My goodness... You haven't even cruised on Seaside yet or even MSC (based on your list of cruises) and your so defensive in your comments??!! Suggest you reserve those comments until you can compare an actual MSC experience to other lines.

Not defensive...just stating facts...