Towels

rubydoobydoo

I have just booked Eclipse for a Fjords cruise in May, we have been on Equinox last year but we had CC and I believe they are larger bath towels ?

We booked a guarantee balcony so I have no idea where we will be but how much smaller are the towels, I may need to take my own if they are much smaller ?

Thanks

Janis

I am a UK size 18 and found that the "normal" towels were ridiculously small.

Our first cruise was in a "regular" cabin and I had to ask the room steward for the larger concierge towels. For the first couple of days I actually brought the towels up from the swimming pool area before deciding that I should just ask for bigger towels. He did as I asked but did say that I wasn't really entitled to them.

Our next two cruises were concierge and aqua and the towel sizes were fine.

Edited by CABINET

Thanks for that info, that is what I was worried about, why on earth would they think that normal cabins should have small towels :confused:

I certainly didn't think the towels in CC were anything special so I had better take a couple in my case.

Janis

Leave your towels home. Just did the Eclipse in January. Towels in the regular cabins were fine. Large and thick. We asked our cabin steward to leave extra towels. Not a problem. You will also find 2 very large thick beach towels in the cabin. You can use these also. Relax. You will love the Eclipse. I booked another cruise on the Eclipse for next year.

Leave your towels home. Just did the Eclipse in January. Towels in the regular cabins were fine. Large and thick. We asked our cabin steward to leave extra towels. Not a problem. You will also find 2 very large thick beach towels in the cabin. You can use these also. Relax. You will love the Eclipse. I booked another cruise on the Eclipse for next year.

Well we obviously have very different opinions of large towels. At home I use a bath sheet and that is the size of towel I am used to .

For me, personally, a standard bath towel is too small.

I agree that the "beach" towels are big enough.

We've had both Concierge Class and standard veranda cabins many times. The towels in the Concierge Class are slightly nicer. To me they were not appreciably larger than the towels in the standard cabins. If they were larger at all the size difference was not significant - or at least not enough to stand out in my memory. The standard towels were still very nice, hotel type, towels and I would not call them small. While we'd prefer the CC towels I've never felt it was that big of a deal and have been perfectly happy with the standard towels.

Neither type of towel will be the size of large "bath sheets" you have at home. The beach towels might be close to this and you could ask your room steward if he/she could supply those instead but I've not heard of that nor felt the need myself even though we are used to larger bath sheets at home.

I would not bring my own towels. Not only would they take up a lot of luggage space but you also would not be able to get them laundered. I've read a lot of messages on these boards and I've never read of anyone bringing their own towels for stateroom use.

You can get additional towels on request. You also may be able to get the CC cabin type towels on request but this isn't a sure thing and may depend on your steward, their supervisor and availability of the towels to your steward. If this is a major concern of yours then I'd suggest booking a CC room to ensure you get the towel of your choice.

Edited by Lsimon

I would love to upgrade to CC, not just for the towels but I don't think it would be worth the extra £1000 each, hubby won't be bothered about the towels he would dry on a face cloth :D

Good idea about the beach towels, they will have to do

Edited by rubydoobydoo

I would love to upgrade to CC, not just for the towels but I don't think it would be worth the extra £1000 each, hubby won't be bothered about the towels he would dry on a face cloth :D

Good idea about the beach towels, they will have to do

My OH is the same. Also it helps that he is a more normal size than I am and has no trouble wrapping the towel around his waist.

I, on the other hand, like to feel fully wrapped up after a shower (I hate them anyway - the way they make you feel cold after you emerge from the cubicle) and I can't even get the normal towels to join up in the middle.

Given Celebrity's slogan (modern luxury) I think they might run to towels that allow for larger ladies.

When you go to hotels, and they don't have exactly the type/size of towels that you like, what do you do?

I don't usually have a problem with hotel towels, but then I very rarely stay in hotels for more than 1night.

I didn't find the CC towels particularly large or special so I was just wondering what the difference was and why there would be a difference anyway

You will probably find it strange that I take my own pillow with me in my case too :D, I will have lots of room in my case as it's only 8 days with no flying involved

if the towels are too small then the only thing left to do is get out of the shower and go out on the balcony and air dry! See if that makes the cruise in review video the whole ship air drying on their balconies!:eek:

I don't usually have a problem with hotel towels, but then I very rarely stay in hotels for more than 1night.

I didn't find the CC towels particularly large or special so I was just wondering what the difference was and why there would be a difference anyway

You will probably find it strange that I take my own pillow with me in my case too :D, I will have lots of room in my case as it's only 8 days with no flying involved

Me too :D:D:D.

When you go to hotels, and they don't have exactly the type/size of towels that you like, what do you do?

Most hotels we stay at provide towels of a decent size. Very occasionally they don't but we rarely stay at that type of hotel for more than a single night and so it is a minor nuisance.

A cruise is likely to be in excess of 7 nights and therefore I say again "Modern Luxury" conjures up an image of a company that does not need to skimp on towel size.

Your cabin steward will leave you as many towels as you want. I always request extras. If the bath towel is too small, use 2...or use the beach towel. They will replace any towels that you use. Those beach towels are large and thick. If they are too small for you, then use a blanket. My spouse is a big person....one towel is enough.

I am a size 14 growing to almost a 16 after 14 days on a Celebrity ship.

The towels are not really big enough in AQ. We always ask for a couple of extra ones. The robes in AQ/CC are huge and thick wrapping up in one would work well and the steward was happy to replace them mid cruise. This is not a problem we have in high end hotels in the UK.

Funnily enough on our last Med cruise my husband asked for a lighter robe, he prefers the ones from the balcony cabins and our steward refused saying we were not in the right cabins for those, so it does work both ways.

I just looked at the Amenities list for the different cabin types, and it seems AQ does provide extra large towels - but you say they are not big enough? I'm traveling in AQ for the first time next cruise and I've always been happy (truthfully, never thought about) the "regular" towels in CC. I'm sure they were fine since they made no impression on me one way or the other.

What I find amusing is that most of you who are complaining are from outside the U.S., land of the oversized everything. When I've traveled abroad I don't recall the towels being especially large, and the times we've rented apartments/flats I recall the washer/dryers (and often it was an all-in-one combo) being quite small and not washing or drying very well. So to me it's surprising that you can easily wash and dry these enormous towels in your own homes.

Maybe I just don't stay in high end enough places? :) Anyway, I'm sorry you all find the towels so inadequate. Maybe since you DO stay in higher end hotels, it's time to find a higher end cruise line? I know X touts "modern luxury" but we all know they are a very nice, mainstream line. Maybe Crystal or Seabourn would be more to your standards?

And I agree about the heavier robes...they're fine on cold weather itins but I like the lighter, waffle robes in the Caribbean.

Edited by warmwinds

Aqua towels are fine, as are those in concierge - it's just the ones in the regular staterooms.

I'm sorry if my moaning is offensive but the least I require from a towel is that I should be able to get it around my body.

I am large but far from being morbidly obese.

As for having to move to Seabourne or Crystal to get a decent size of towel that is plainly ridiculous. We have a budget chain of hotels in the UK called Premier Inn and they manage to provide a towel of adequate (admittedly only just :D) size.

Celebrity have clearly made a decision that larger towels are needed in the better cabins - are we to assume that they think the passengers in steerage are so poor that they will definitely be thinner?

Anyway I'm not entirely sure that commenting on the size of the towels is radically different to commenting on the thickness of the bathrobes really.

Edited by CABINET

I just looked at the Amenities list for the different cabin types, and it seems AQ does provide extra large towels - but you say they are not big enough? I'm traveling in AQ for the first time next cruise and I've always been happy (truthfully, never thought about) the "regular" towels in CC. I'm sure they were fine since they made no impression on me one way or the other.

What I find amusing is that most of you who are complaining are from outside the U.S., land of the oversized everything. When I've traveled abroad I don't recall the towels being especially large, and the times we've rented apartments/flats I recall the washer/dryers (and often it was an all-in-one combo) being quite small and not washing or drying very well. So to me it's surprising that you can easily wash and dry these enormous towels in your own homes.

Maybe I just don't stay in high end enough places? :) Anyway, I'm sorry you all find the towels so inadequate. Maybe since you DO stay in higher end hotels, it's time to find a higher end cruise line? I know X touts "modern luxury" but we all know they are a very nice, mainstream line. Maybe Crystal or Seabourn would be more to your standards?

And I agree about the heavier robes...they're fine on cold weather itins but I like the lighter, waffle robes in the Caribbean.

Having an opinion that differs from yours does not mean moaning, I just love the way that some people on these boards spout the 'why don't you find another cruise line' comments, how about if you don't like our opinions why don't you find another thread more to your liking.....not very friendly or helpful, is it ?

....Funnily enough on our last Med cruise my husband asked for a lighter robe, he prefers the ones from the balcony cabins and our steward refused saying we were not in the right cabins for those, so it does work both ways.
How strange!

I think that was unusual because we always ask to have the bulky, heavy robes exchanged for the lighter ones on warm weather cruises and have never been denied.

It looks to me more like a steward with a bad attitude who just didn't want to be bothered.

Aqua towels are fine, as are those in concierge - it's just the ones in the regular staterooms.

I'm sorry if my moaning is offensive but the least I require from a towel is that I should be able to get it around my body.

I am large but far from being morbidly obese.

As for having to move to Seabourne or Crystal to get a decent size of towel that is plainly ridiculous. We have a budget chain of hotels in the UK called Premier Inn and they manage to provide a towel of adequate (admittedly only just :D) size.

Celebrity have clearly made a decision that larger towels are needed in the better cabins - are we to assume that they think the passengers in steerage are so poor that they will definitely be thinner?

Anyway I'm not entirely sure that commenting on the size of the towels is radically different to commenting on the thickness of the bathrobes really.

The normal sized towels are the same size or slightly bigger than a Premier Inn ones. :)

I have very sensitive skin, our first celebrity cruise was in CC and the towels were fine very soft and ok for my skin. For the next four cruises I stayed in a regularly balcony and asked the attendant for the CC towels because of my skin. They obliged with no problem. On my last cruise (Nov 13 equinox) I asked the attendant to make sure he always left me soft towels (rather than ask for CC towels) this he did and the towels were sometimes the CC ones and sometimes regular, there's a very small difference in them size wise tbh and as long as they aren't rough that was fine with me :)

Also for those who think the bedding is of superior quality in a CC cabin to a balcony/outside/inside cabin it isn't, it's exactly the same, good but the same :)