HAL’s CPP Platinum Cancel Anytime Insurance

obriendan

Can anybody give me a vague idea of the cost of the insurance...like the approximate percentage of the cruise fare?

You can get an exact cost of the insurance by doing a dummy booking. At the end it will ask if you want the CPP, and it shows the cost of this policy. The CPP is not an insurance policy, however, although most of us consider it as such. It is strictly a cancellation policy and can be taken out as late as the date of final payment.

I think that the following from HAL's website is is what the poster was referring to when he/she said that it covered 100% in the event of illness (note that this is true only in the CPP Platinum Plan):

"CPP Platinum

Our Platinum Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP Platinum) enables you to supplement the benefits provided under the CPP Standard Plan with higher cancellation reimbursement and extends the eligible cancellation period up until the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line. CPP Platinum also provides insurance coverage for trip delays and interruptions, medical expenses and much more. In addition, CPP Platinum includes 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance services.

CPP Platinum is comprised of the following:

SECTION I

Cancel for Any Reason Waiver

Provided by Holland America Line

You may cancel for any reason prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive reimbursement equal to 90% of the eligible amounts paid to Holland America Line. Note: CPP Platinum does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel prior to departure.

Notice to New York Residents: The Holland America Cancel For Any Reason Waiver under the Platinum Plan may be purchased separately from the Travel Insurance Program. Contact 1-877-538-3815 for details.

SECTION II

TRAVEL INSURANCE PROGRAM

Underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company

• Trip Interruption: Enables you to cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for illness, injury or death to you, an immediate family member or a traveling companion, as well as certain other non-medical reasons affecting you or your traveling companion, and receive up to 150% of your cruise vacation cost.
  • Trip Delay: If you miss the departure of your cruise due to carrier-caused delays or other specified reasons, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for additional accommodations, meals and “catch-up” transportation expenses.
  • Baggage Protection: If your baggage or personal property is lost or damaged, you will be reimbursed up to $1,000. If your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for more than 24 hours, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal effects.
  • Medical Expense Coverage: Should you become injured or sick during your vacation, you will be reimbursed up to $10,000 for medical expenses.
  • Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation: In the event that serious illness or injury requires air or ground transportation to a specialized facility or to return home, you will be provided up to $50,000 in covered medical services and supplies (coordinated by our 24-hour assistance provider) to help ensure your safe transport. Repatriation coverage provides for shipment of remains in the event of death during the cruise vacation.

This plan provides insurance coverage that applies only during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home and automobile policies. If you have any questions about your current coverage, call your insurer, insurance agent or broker."

Just now seeing this. The way I read this is section 2 covers after HAL converts the plan into an insurance policy (immediately prior to sailing). How do others read this?

My cancellation was due to sudden, serious illness in a parent (who I am POA for). I realize now under a regular policy this would bump it up to a cancel for a MEDICAL reason, but I'm not so sure that is what this includes.

Any thoughts?

Just now seeing this. The way I read this is section 2 covers after HAL converts the plan into an insurance policy (immediately prior to sailing). How do others read this?

My cancellation was due to sudden, serious illness in a parent (who I am POA for). I realize now under a regular policy this would bump it up to a cancel for a MEDICAL reason, but I'm not so sure that is what this includes.

Any thoughts?

I am reading it the same way, but I am confused by the term "cancel", which would normally be applied to a pre-cruise action. "Interrupt clearly applies to an action taken during the cruise.

The best thing to do is to call TransAmerica. I called them a few months ago to confirm that the CPP waiver did apply when one had to cancel and there was a non-refundable deposit. Nonsense, said TransAmerica. That is what the cancellation plan is about: Non-refundable deposits would be refunded. This, despite various HAL reps contending otherwise.

... The best thing to do is to call TransAmerica ....

Great advice. IMO it's always best to go to the service provider (as opposed to a sales agent) with questions such as these, since the provider will ultimately make the decision.

Smooth sailing $$$