Laundry

MoyCoy

I read on a thread that the Laundry rooms were closed through a posters cruise. I wonder how often this happens. I am purposely packing very light for our 4 day cruise on the Sapphire this upcoming Tues. Should I be concerned?:o

I read on a thread that the Laundry rooms were closed through a posters cruise. I wonder how often this happens. I am purposely packing very light for our 4 day cruise on the Sapphire this upcoming Tues. Should I be concerned?:o

You'll be fine on a 4-day cruise... the laundry rooms should be open.

On our 10 day repo cruise on the Caribbean Princess in October the laundry was closed the last two days due to "water restrictions". I was not happy as we were not going to have access to laundry for a few days after we got off the ship and was counting in getting a few loads done before we got off. We talked to several people including crew ow had never heard of that happening before.

Even packing light...... for a 4 day cruise you should not need to do laundry.

It does happen in Alaska and certainly can happen for any reason on other ships. On a 4 day cruise, I wouldn't waste time doing laundry.

Even packing light...... for a 4 day cruise you should not need to do laundry.

The op didn't ask for an opinion on whether to do laundry. Everyone's needs are different. We're traveling to Florida by car, visiting friends and sightseeing. By the time we get to onboard we will have been on the road for over a week. We will need to do some laundry as soon as we board despite it being a 4 day cruise.

To answer the op's post--we have seen the laundry rooms locked on both Hawaiian and Alaskan cruises due to local state regulations. We've never seen that happen on a Caribbean or European cruise.

Thank You all for your replies !

My situation : We are doing the Santa Barbara get away with 2 adults and 2 Children. We hope to pack everything into one suitcase, but indeed my children require more items than we adults :ie teddy bears, security blankets..etc.. It would be easier to keep track of my 3 year old twins if we have one suitcase (one parent can handle the suitcase, other parent is free to chase the twins!). I indeed am going to wage my bets and pack only enough clothes for 3 days with the hopes of washing on the third day.:D

Edited by MoyCoy

Fortunately I haven't seen the closed sign on the laundries on our three Hawaiian cruises, even in the islands. I remember we did a load or two on the Hilo day, and the reason I remember this is that one woman in there said she was glad there were machines as all her clothes and shoes she wore that day got muddy when they went to Volcanoes National Park.

We've combined cruises with land trips, including a 40 hour train trip up the west coast. So we're glad Princess has the self-service laundries as the ship's laundry uses regular detergent (and someone in our family is allergic to that).

The op didn't ask for an opinion on whether to do laundry. Everyone's needs are different. We're traveling to Florida by car, visiting friends and sightseeing. By the time we get to onboard we will have been on the road for over a week. We will need to do some laundry as soon as we board despite it being a 4 day cruise.

To answer the op's post--we have seen the laundry rooms locked on both Hawaiian and Alaskan cruises due to local state regulations. We've never seen that happen on a Caribbean or European cruise.

Hmm, is there anywhere you can find out in advance whether a ship will close the laundry or not? We are taking the Golden to AK in June and it's our first time, so it'd be nice to know... 7 day RT out of Seattle

Jim

Jim: Check the reviews of the cruises before yours in late May. Someone will know if they closed the self-service laundries on those cruises. When we did our round-trip cruises from Seattle, they were open. They were also open when we did our one-way from Whittier to Vancouver. That's when we really needed it since we had done a 5-night land tour before our cruise.

We did see the laundry rooms closed in Europe. It happened in St. Petersburg, Russia due to water restrictions.

Usually the only time this happens is when you are cruising in an environmentally sensitive area. I have experienced this in Alaska and around the Antarctic. You should not have any problems on a four day out of LA unless it is mechanical.

Usually the only time this happens is when you are cruising in an environmentally sensitive area. I have experienced this in Alaska and around the Antarctic. You should not have any problems on a four day out of LA unless it is mechanical.

I've done Alaska twice and I remember laundry being closed the day we did Tracy Arm. I'm not sure about Glacier Bay but if you're planning, plan around the sight seeing days.

On my 4 day from NY to Bermuda, laundry was closed 2 days. Of course the 4 day trip became a 6 day while Hurricane Sandy sent us to Boston and attacked the port we left in NY. I can't imagine planning for that. While tied up in Boston we couldn't do laundry, something about the ship to shore hookups and not being at sea. It wasn't clear and far from priority.