Live on Whisper from 1st timer to SS

witt's end

We are gold level Regent cruisers who are part of a group on Silver Seas. As proud Canadians' date=' we are thrilled to share our east coast. However, we are underwhelmed by our experience so far in SS.[/quote']And, may we ask why you’re underwhelmed? Lots of Regent passengers here that enjoy SS too, so I’m not sure what the point of your topic is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am Gold on Regent and have sailed with them way back when it was just the Song of Flower and the Diamond. I am currently on my first Silversea cruise (Silver Spirit), and I respectfully disagree. I have found that Silversea exceeds what I have experienced on Regent EXCEPT for when it was Song of Flower with Captain Dag as master of the vessel. But I don’t think any cruise line today can replicate those halcyon days. Silversea comes closest. Regent is a shell of what it was when it was Radisson Seven Seas Cruises.

Hi all,

I am typing from my phone because we have not purchased wifi and will be pleased to expand on my experiences as the cruise continues.

The ship itself is lovely and comparable to other lines we have sailed.

It is in the area of customer service that is disappointing. Yesterday I was in the buffet restaurant for lunch for 20 minutes and no one passed by to see if I wanted water or something from the bar.

Last night at dinner our table of 8 watched in amazement as we sat with every wine glass empty. The table beside us requested the bottle be left on their table.

The waiters use iPads to take the orders. I'm sure it reduces errors but it significantly decreases their level of interaction with us. No eye contact, brief responses, just order takers.

Though not a foodie, I have been very pleased with every meal.

I'm sorry that my initial post was so vague and I will answer questions along the way.

We have a sea day today and a substitute stop at Ile's de la Madeleine tomorrow. The reduced speed required to protect the Right Whale meant that we couldn't reach Charlottetown. Perhaps we will spot whales today.

Witt’s end,

Who is the Hotel Manager and/or Restaurant Manager on Whisper and what responses to any complaints you make are you getting from them?

We are Diamond Elites on Seabourn going on our first Silversea cruise in 3 weeks and it’s on your ship. I am disheartened to imagine that our “test cruise” will be our last on this line if service standards are so wanting. Good food/poor service is better than the other way around. But no way at these prices!

I hope Silversea on board management is listening to you and your friends.

Happy and healthy sailing!

[quote=witt's end;54220528 Yesterday I was in the buffet restaurant for lunch for 20 minutes and no one passed by to see if I wanted water or something from the bar.

Last night at dinner our table of 8 watched in amazement as we sat with every wine glass empty. The table beside us requested the bottle be left on their table.

Wow! That's so unusual, I wonder if something has happened behind the scenes.

Having very recently disembarked after 17 days on the Whisper, I was quite glad to have a chance to let my liver rest and recover - drinks of all sorts were freely and promptly offered in all venues.

And I so enjoyed my Whisper experience that I've squeezed in another trip on her (Nov 2nd) before my first Muse cruise (Dec 6th), just because I could. OMG gasps my liver, to mix a metaphor.

PS I just remembered that Sergio went on holiday just after I disembarked so maybe the current Maitre D' isn't up to speed? Henry D'Roza was the HD and he seemed to be everywhere all the time, maybe he's having a break too?

Sorry to read of your dissapointments. It does seem sort of weird that with a whole sea day before that you weren't able to make up that time and head for Charlottetown as originally planned.

Hope things get better for you. And tell them to leave at least four bottles of wine on the table .....:D

Ipad order taking is on Seabourn, too, for close to 2 years. It makes an electronic relay to kitchen stations possible so that controls on delivery and prep for additional demand are manageable in ways that are just not possible with paper. I have seen the screens delivering this data live when touring various stations within Seabourn kitchens. Very smart application of technology for busy and noisy work areas serving their excellent restaurants.

On the other hand, the use of such technology was never meant to reduce

interaction with guests by wait staff. Reduce errors Yes, allow more time to describe choices following the pre-meal briefings another Yes.

Staff engagement with customers should be natural to well trained and professional staff.

Happy and healthy sailing!

My goodness, totally the opposite experience we had on the Whisper less than a month ago. We took the galley tour and the iPad ordering process was explained. It certainly didn’t negatively affect our interaction with the wait staff.

We certainly never had to wait for any type of service.

Whenever we’ve had any issues we’ve mentioned it to either the MD, HD or even just a word to the room attendants. Reaction is usually immediate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are having a lovely, leisurely day at sea. The Pub Lunch was a lot of fun with a sing along and the bonus of a pod of dolphins passing through.

One advantage to the iPad was evident today when the grill manager called us by name.

You might be surprised, and possibly a little alarmed, by how much information about you is on that iPad.

Soon after they were introduced, it became clear that my information was actually muddled up with someone else's which showed multiple food allergies and other problems (none of which were mine, I can and do eat anything) - there was a great deal of waiter angst as they struggled to politely stop me ordering food that their iPad told them would kill me!

It took about four cruises before I could get their database corrected, but along the way I was shown what it said - most of the information was about me (the allergy stuff appeared to have been added recently, presumably it should have been added to someone else's profile) and it contained all sorts of information, pretty much going back to when I started sailing SS.

They try and know as much about you as they can, for obvious marketing reasons.

A couple of cruises ago, when first meeting my butler (had never sailed with him before), as I drew breath to mention my usual fridge preferences, he beat me to it and reeled off word for word what I had said on earlier cruises.

Hi all' date='

I am typing from my phone because we have not purchased wifi and will be pleased to expand on my experiences as the cruise continues.

The ship itself is lovely and comparable to other lines we have sailed.

It is in the area of customer service that is disappointing. Yesterday I was in the buffet restaurant for lunch for 20 minutes and no one passed by to see if I wanted water or something from the bar.

The waiters use iPads to take the orders. I'm sure it reduces errors but it significantly decreases their level of interaction with us. No eye contact, brief responses, just order takers.

Though not a foodie, I have been very pleased with every meal.

I'm sorry that my initial post was so vague and I will answer questions along the way.

We have a sea day today and a substitute stop at Ile's de la Madeleine tomorrow. The reduced speed required to protect the Right Whale meant that we couldn't reach Charlottetown. Perhaps we will spot whales today.[/quote']

I received a call from the HD today to discuss my concerns which btw appear to be resolved as the days pass and crew members gain experience on the ship. I would no longer use the term 'underwhelmed' to describe my customer service experience. We are frequently addressed by our names and our preferences are offered to us naturally.

Iles de la Madeleine is a quaint, windswept fishing village with steep red cliffs and brightly painted buildings.

Tomorrow is Sydney Nova Scotia.

I received a call from the HD today to discuss my concerns which btw appear to be resolved as the days pass and crew members gain experience on the ship. I would no longer use the term 'underwhelmed' to describe my customer service experience. We are frequently addressed by our names and our preferences are offered to us naturally.

Iles de la Madeleine is a quaint' date=' windswept fishing village with steep red cliffs and brightly painted buildings.

Tomorrow is Sydney Nova Scotia.[/quote']

Glad to hear that things are improving for you and Silversea is meeting your expectations. By the way, who is the HD?

Hello from beautiful Sydney Nova Scotia.

Yes, Jolly Jones, every one (including me) is settled in. Customer service is amazing with many crew members calling us by name.

It appears as if we are early for the brilliant fall colours as trees are just starting to change.

Sorry it was a rough start but happy to see things have improved:).........I took my first cruise on SS in August on The Spirit and found the crew/staff/service were simply amazing:D

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.:)