What is the Port area of Halifax like?

Yes! There is a waterfront boardwalk right there. Maritime Museum and other local/maritime history museums, harbor tours, eateries, fish market.

Up into the town are very old churches and graveyards, and The Citadel.

Probably one of the best ports for walkability.

As others said there is a lot to see that is walking distance but keep in mind the Citadel and other places that are away from the waterfront are up a pretty steep hill. Definitely walkable but certainly a consideration.

In addition to the previously mentioned ideas, the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia is lovely.

We were in Halifax twice the fall of 2017, and happened on to Goldwater Seafoods in the Halifax Seaport Farmer's Market. We were on a B2B2B set of cruises and were in search of lobster rolls in every Canadian and New England port. We had the lobster rolls at Goldwater Seafoods on both port calls, and thought they were the best we found. We were again in Halifax over Canada day earlier this month. Again we had lobster rolls at Goldwater, and again thought they were the best of the trip. The rolls themselves are excellent, not too much mayo on the lobster, two different sizes of rolls, and they can come with or without a side salad.

Halifax, Nova Scotia

The ships dock right in town just a few short blocks from shops, restaurants and the main drag.

Plenty to do in Halifax. Just a short stroll along the Harbor Walk from the cruise pier is the Maritime Museum, with a very interesting Titanic exhibit including an actual deck chair from the ill-fated ship.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhP25wlOFxH22u5XlDy4LKnNmIEEJ8uPzuB6meJ-MCocHpHJid

Just adjacent to the Maritime Museum you can hop aboard and explore the CSS Arcadia

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiqJtgMsEfNJ_e5eZojZXnKgzCzlDFIKNobjJHSlA9m4o5iBc7

Halifax Public Gardens are beautiful and about a fifteen minute walk from the cruise pier. Lots of lovely lanes to stroll, a good spot to admire the fall foliage and grab a cold drink at one of the nearby park cafes.

106.jpg

Jonathan

But, wait there's more...

Citadel Fort - located high atop Halifax with great view of the city and harbor. You can tour the fort, speak with costumed actors about its history. Best to get a cab up here and walk back. The hills in Halifax are quite steep, think San Francisco.2Q==2Q==

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6fljsanZMYxQxO2xdgFew5Aew4teabDQ8zf0HrRxal0tzPksVYw

Halifax Seaport Farmers Market - just adjacent to the cruise pier has tons of food stalls, souvenir stands, local wines, cheese; lovely place to stroll, have a snack and enjoy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGGINOpnIXBuKmJxxn245RpRio5bzhTUUy5dYOKPvUsxQiGIHXSw

Halifax Food WalkingTour - We enjoyed this food tour that started at the Seaport Farmers Market and walked about six blocks nearby and back.

Delicious local foods, residential Halifax neighborhoods and friendly guide.

http://localtastingtours.com/somo-food-tour/

There's also a magnificent chocolate shop nearby we discovered on our walking tour, Rousseau's. We stop in there every time we cruise into town. You should too. About a 5-minute walk from the cruise pier in Halifax.

https://rousseauchocolatier.ca/

Jonathan

But, wait there's more...

Citadel Fort - located high atop Halifax with great view of the city and harbor. You can tour the fort, speak with costumed actors about its history. Best to get a cab up here and walk back. The hills in Halifax are quite steep, think San Francisco.2Q==2Q==

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6fljsanZMYxQxO2xdgFew5Aew4teabDQ8zf0HrRxal0tzPksVYw

Halifax Seaport Farmers Market - just adjacent to the cruise pier has tons of food stalls, souvenir stands, local wines, cheese; lovely place to stroll, have a snack and enjoy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGGINOpnIXBuKmJxxn245RpRio5bzhTUUy5dYOKPvUsxQiGIHXSw

Halifax Food WalkingTour - We enjoyed this food tour that started at the Seaport Farmers Market and walked about six blocks nearby and back.

Delicious local foods, residential Halifax neighborhoods and friendly guide.

http://localtastingtours.com/somo-food-tour/

There's also a magnificent chocolate shop nearby we discovered on our walking tour, Rousseau's. We stop in there every time we cruise into town. You should too. About a 5-minute walk from the cruise pier in Halifax.

https://rousseauchocolatier.ca/

Jonathan

Great overview !! Thanks for posting..:)

We loved our trip to Halifax last year, but there was one aspect that surprised/saddened me.

On our walk back from the Citadel and Public Gardens I noticed panhandlers on several corners. They were very respectful - sitting quietly on a corner with a cup and sign for "change for a cup of coffee" - nothing like the begging in the Caribbean. I was not expecting it though, and was unprepared to offer anything to help (I don't think giving $ usually helps and didn't have any small bills with regardless).

If we return I will likely try to have some inexpensive gloves or scarves with me to offer. I felt bad ignoring them and it seemed like they were almost invisible people as others we talked with did not seem to notice them, but I would want any help to actually be a help.

In the immediate port area though, I only noticed musicians/performers with their cases or hats for donations.

Just a thought in case you would want to be prepared.

We loved our trip to Halifax last year, but there was one aspect that surprised/saddened me.

On our walk back from the Citadel and Public Gardens I noticed panhandlers on several corners. They were very respectful - sitting quietly on a corner with a cup and sign for "change for a cup of coffee" - nothing like the begging in the Caribbean. I was not expecting it though, and was unprepared to offer anything to help (I don't think giving $ usually helps and didn't have any small bills with regardless).

If we return I will likely try to have some inexpensive gloves or scarves with me to offer. I felt bad ignoring them and it seemed like they were almost invisible people as others we talked with did not seem to notice them, but I would want any help to actually be a help.

In the immediate port area though, I only noticed musicians/performers with their cases or hats for donations.

I am sure it is like any big city with tourists

if you want to do something donate to a shelter

or just buy them a coffee

Sometimes things are not what they appear to be

short story

years ago in Toronto a lady in ragged clothes used to sit outside an office building day in day out getting donations

So one day someone decided to see where she went at the end of the day ..she went around the corner where her son waited & drove off in a Caddy

the police checked her apt which was filled with very expensive things

just saying

I worked for many years in healthcare in NS and unfortunately there are always people who do not avail themselves of the housing, social assistance, programmes and other supports that are provided. Most have longstanding mental health or addiction problems and there are many organisations who try to assist them. Usually they refuse to follow the rules such as no drugs or alcohol and do not wish or are unable to attend work training or educational opportunities that are required to live in supportive housing.

No one in Canada has to live like this, but for some it is a choice.

This seems to becoming more prevalent at all ports. Found same in Portland last time there. :( So sad, that this is the "norm" when traveling.

The Citadel fires its cannon at noon each day. Our group of 5 all enjoyed that performance. Afterwards we were debating lunch choices while sitting in the Botanical Gardens and a local man, who overheard us, recommended Le Bistro, a short walk from the gardens. It turned out to be a very nice experience: Our food was reasonable, tasted delicious, and the staff were very friendly. (Later we learned it also has high ratings on tripadvisor.

We also had great food and friendly staff at Your Father's Mustache, close to the Public Garden. They had really good local beer and cider plus an amazing pb pie dessert. We had a salad (to keep things healthy ;) ) and they had a really good maple vinaigrette dressing. I really hope life brings me back to the area someday - we loved it:)

This seems to becoming more prevalent at all ports. Found same in Portland last time there. :( So sad, that this is the "norm" when traveling.

This is normal for just about any city I have ever been in, port city or not.

The Citadel fires its cannon at noon each day. Our group of 5 all enjoyed that performance. Afterwards we were debating lunch choices while sitting in the Botanical Gardens and a local man, who overheard us, recommended Le Bistro, a short walk from the gardens. It turned out to be a very nice experience: Our food was reasonable, tasted delicious, and the staff were very friendly. (Later we learned it also has high ratings on tripadvisor.

A question for you...trying to decide if there is enough to see in Halifax's waterfront. Have excursion booked for Lunenburg. Wondering what there is to see and if we should cancel excursion. Thanks

We also had great food and friendly staff at Your Father's Mustache, close to the Public Garden. They had really good local beer and cider plus an amazing pb pie dessert. We had a salad (to keep things healthy ;) ) and they had a really good maple vinaigrette dressing. I really hope life brings me back to the area someday - we loved it:)

What other ideas for the waterfront? Trying to decide on this or Lunenberg...thanks