Glacier Bay on the Noordam

Noels100

We are doing the cruise on the Noordam from Vancouver to Seward, my question is about Glacier Bay. The itinerary says we are there from 7am to 4pm but no tours come up to book, does the boat dock or are we just cruising through.

We are doing the cruise on the Noordam from Vancouver to Seward, my question is about Glacier Bay. The itinerary says we are there from 7am to 4pm but no tours come up to book, does the boat dock or are we just cruising through.

I was on this itinerary in July. Be prepared as it is cold on deck. We had temps in the upper 40s and then add the wind. Most of the actual glacier viewing is around lunchtime but nice scenery all day, especially that evening as you begin to cross over to Seward.

Enjoy!

The bay is so large it takes the whole day to travel up and down with usually a one hour stop at the farthest glacier. The scenery is beautifull and wildlife can be seen from the ship, otters, whales, bears etc. Rangers join the ship at the beginning for wildlife spotting and narrative.

Make sure you are out and about, don't stay in your cabin. The bowdeck will be open and together with the aft pool deck and promenade is the best place for viewing. If it gets too cold for you the crowsnest is a good indoor alternative, but chairs will be difficult to come by after early morning.

Enjoy!

To give you an example, this is not on HAL and not my trip but it gives a good impression:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Nave-html/S11/glacier.html

The bay:

GlacierBay.jpg

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Nave-html/S11/imgsum/GlacierBay.jpg

Edited by jakkojakko
Addition

We cruised in May and it was much too cold for us to stand (or sit) outside all day. So we snagged a table and chairs next to the windows on the port side of the ship next to the Lido Pool. We got there at breakfast and had our seats all day. We could see everything out of the huge picture windows and we could hear the commentary from the Park Ranger as well. I got some great photos of the glaciers and we stayed warm.

If you are cruising later in the summer, the weather might be warm enough to spend all day outside (but, it might not.) :)

We cruised in May and it was much too cold for us to stand (or sit) outside all day. ...................

We were there in may as well on a back to back Vancouver-Seward-Vancouver and thus twice glacier bay. Boy it was cold, but with proper clothing I stayed outside almost all the time with an occasional short visit to my wife who had made basecamp in the crowsnest.

Can you hear the commentary on your balcony? Or do we need to be in a public area or on deck?

I haven't gone yet (my trip is June 2018 in an SS suite), but I believe I read that you can hear it on a channel on the TV. Only bad part of that is having to leave the balcony door open.

Wonder if there will be a way to hook up a Bluetooth speaker to the new TVs once the suites are remodeled next year? Then we wouldn't have to leave the door open.

Only bad part of that is having to leave the balcony door open.

Which is against the rules, so that won't work.

There are some balcony cabins that are close enough to outside public decks to be able to hear the commentary, but otherwise, it's necessary to go to public areas to hear.

Which is against the rules, so that won't work.

So was I right in saying that you can hear it on a TV channel? If so, then I guess we will have to sit inside the cabin in front of the balcony doors if Bluetooth speakers or headphones won't work.

We will go to the public areas some but not the whole day. Since we had to splurge on the suite for the three of us, I want to get my money's worth of the balcony :). Personally I would ahve rather done an inside and saved the $$ for excursions, by cabinmates (sister and her BFF) disagreed. Besides, anything but the suite would have been tight quarters for the three of us! We did a regular balcony on Carnival and it was tight.

• 1 month later...
Make sure you are out and about, don't stay in your cabin.
How will the viewing be from one of the aft facing Neptune suites (with the wrap-around balconies)? I was hoping that with the wrap-around balcony we wouldn't have to worry about finding and holding seats anywhere and could come in/go out at our leisure.

We did this last year and started off watching outside but later on moved to the Lido deck and watched from inside. The ship rotated and we sat there for a couple of hours or more simply watching the glaciers calf. I guess we were lucky because although it was early June the weather was warm and very little wind. It was a wonderful relaxing day.

How will the viewing be from one of the aft facing Neptune suites (with the wrap-around balconies)? I was hoping that with the wrap-around balcony we wouldn't have to worry about finding and holding seats anywhere and could come in/go out at our leisure.

The view will be great but the pea soup will be served on the public decks. You'll be able to hear the cracking of the glacier without having people talking around you. Have a great cruise in your aft facing Neptune suite!

We had an aft Neptune last May on the Noordam. With the wrap around you can double your time facing the glacier as the ship rotates. We were on 8th deck right below Lido Deck so we could hear the speakers from the Lido Deck. We were able to dress warmly and stay out of the wind for the most part. I was so excited about what I was seeing that I cannot remember if I was cold. I did run up and grab a couple of sandwiches for lunch.

We´ve done Seward - Vancouver on the Zaandam in August. Here´s my review of Glacier Bay National Park (try google translate for translation).

We picked up the rangers by 9:30 am. There were two lectures at 10 and 10:30 am. After the lectures a table was set up in the Crow´s Nest with souvenirs and a stamp (they had pieces of paper available if you don´t have the National Park Passport). The narration started soon after. We went to Margerie Glacier and spent there more than an hour (turing around so everyone could see). The glacier was very active. The Eurodam has been there the same day but went to John Hopkins Glacier. By 4 pm the narration more or less ended. We passed by the South Marble Islands with the Steller Sea Lions during dinner.

steamboats

• 5 years later...

I know this is a very old post, but I am going to try and revive it 😁

I will be on Noordam in Glacier Bay, leaving in 4 weeks.  I have done Alaska before, but not Glacier Bay, so that is a big part of why I chose this cruise.  However, I booked an inside cabin so I will not be able to watch from my verandah and will have to find someplace to view Glacier Bay.  I don't mind the weather - not worried about being cold - so I am fine with being on deck.  BUT, I want a good view and I want to be able to sit down.   There is no way I can stand for that long - not even close - I have bad knees, bad ankles bad back - bad everything when it comes to standing for long periods of time 🙄.   

So looking for recommendations if I should just get to the Crow's nest first thing in the morning; or will there be chairs on the observation deck?  And if there are chairs on observation deck will I be able to see anything while sitting, with all the people hanging on the rail?

Crows Nest will ba packed all day.  You would need to get there very early, 8 am?  Outside decks will have the regular lounges and you are correct about a lot of pax out on these decks. Possibley the aft decks which have some chairs/lounges would be good for you.  Take a look around in the days before Glacier Bay to see what you think is best.

Watch for sea lions by the Marble Islands, otters, bears, mountain goats at Gloomy Knob, maybe a humback whale or two.

• Like 1

Thank you!  I just ordered some binoculars.  I think I will check out the crow's nest earlier in the cruise, as you suggested, and possibly the aft deck...I know there are some tables there by the bar, maybe I can sit there all day, up against the glass.  Or pull a chair right up to the railing and stand and sit intermittently.   My other issue is that they allow smoking there, and I don't want to deal with that all day...

Hey @GatorMomInNC first congrats on booking a cruise to Glacier Bay - it is fabulous no matter the weather. We've seen Glacier Bay with crystal clear skies and in foggy rain - both are lovely in their own right.

As SilvertoGold suggested, go up to Crow's Nest and out to the aft deck a couple times in the days prior to Glacier Bay to get a feel for them. You should be able to snag a chair on aft deck but could have traveling smoke. It's worth at least a stroll out there to experience the view from outdoors - it's different than seeing it from indoors.

In May, I spent the better part of the cruise through Glacier Bay parked in the Crow's Nest but did not get there at 8am. I had a chair w/a little table on the Starboard side right next to a window - great location! I started in the middle of the room and just kept an eye out for people leaving. Probably easier getting a spot for 1 - DH stayed out on aft 9 so he could smoke.

I was not right in center (took that picture while strolling through) but further to the right and close enough to the window nobody could pass in front of me. There's a similar arrangement on the port side.

The ship will make a full circle so everyone will have an opportunity to have a view.

They come around w/pea soup and will take/deliver drink orders so only need to leave your table would be for a trip to the RR (you'd have to leave something on your table to keep someone from moving in).

Crow's Nest gets loud and crowded but still a great place to experience Glacier Bay if you need to sit. Souvenirs are sold up there, so people pass through just for that.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

20230502_115751.jpg

20230502_105427.jpg

20230502_103310.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you, this is very helpful!  I think I would prefer to be outdoors, but I feel Crow's Nest may be the best bet for the whole day.  Maybe I will start at Crow's Nest and when we begin the trip back, move up on deck and hope to get a spot from someone who has tired out.  

• Like 1

I own something similar to this camping stool and carry it with me for long Alaska excursions.  I weighs only a few pounds and highly portable.  Add a thermos of warm liquid and you can ensure a nice outdoor Glacier Bay experience.

On my last visit to Glacier Bay this year, I found a lot of space on the Promenade Deck 3 for great photos.  You can pop back inside to warm up or pass through the the ship to get to the other side.

image.jpeg.f462874b6e439cd2d5776829cb9d0397.jpeg

image.jpeg.3eb9d988d4d71a6c8bde90e32db99a7e.jpeg

image.jpeg.d94a697684f073750e343666483831aa.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Thank you!  I just ordered some binoculars.  I think I will check out the crow's nest earlier in the cruise, as you suggested, and possibly the aft deck...I know there are some tables there by the bar, maybe I can sit there all day, up against the glass.  Or pull a chair right up to the railing and stand and sit intermittently.   My other issue is that they allow smoking there, and I don't want to deal with that all day...

Smoking is on the starboard side so if you sit on the port side you may be able to escape fro the smoke.  Your plan to be outside and then up to the Cros Nest is likley a good one: move around and see the sights from high, low, forward and aft and grab a seat.

Good luck with seeing some wildlife: you never know when and where but the places I amentioned are usually good.  For mountain goats look for tiny white dots on the hillsides.  Binoculars are mandatory!

• Like 1