How is Dolly Smith?

Dolly is the HAL passenger with probably more on-board days than any other. Possibly as many as several captains put together!

She was my roomie on my first Voyage of the Vikings. Very interesting woman.

Is there reason to think there is something the matter with her?

I'm glad you mentioned Dolly, it has been a while since I'ce seen her name mentioend. I do recall some great photos, Copper John posted of her with crew. FABulous. :)

e

Were they of "Dolly" or Mama Lou?

I think I remember him posting photos of Mama Lou on her scooter dressed in her own HAL Crew shirt, weighted down by all the name tags, and at least 1 crew member hugging her:)

Sadly, Mama Lou is now cruising the heavens:(

Joanie

Babaloo was every bit as "interesting" in his own way as the three women. He had come to the US as a young adult when there was the somewhat mass migration from several countries in SE Asia, with many escaping their home countries in very overloaded, dangerous boats. (Like maybe the late 60s or early/mid 70s.)

Anyhow, in the mid/late 1990s we were on a HAL ship with Babaloo that visited numerous SE Asia countries. I can still remembering him crouching by the railing (as many SE Asian folks at that time did) and sobbing as we approached his homeland. He was so happy to see it again. He worked as a custodian (the title at that time) in a school, in LA I believe. We saw him a few more times when cruising with HAL in the Pacific.

Babaloo was a very slightly built man and for the Ship Building contest one team built a rather large and somewhat sturdy boat. Instead of putting the required cans of been into the boat to prove its seaworthiness they put Babaloo in the boat - and it floated just fine, tub jets and all. They did not win however, a beautiful boat made of wooden cocktail stirrers and wine corks, and modeled after the Kon Tiki won. It deserved the prize.

Babaloo was every bit as "interesting" in his own way as the three women.

Anyhow, in the mid/late 1990s we were on a HAL ship with Babaloo that visited numerous SE Asia countries. I can still remembering him crouching by the railing (as many SE Asian folks at that time did) and sobbing as we approached his homeland. He was so happy to see it again.

That's a great story. IIRC he was from Viet Nam.

I do remember how much he got into the action out on deck on a cruise to Hawaii. He was dancing and having as good a time as the entertainers.

RuthC,

I agree, I also think it was Viet Nam.

He was always a noticeable presence on board - and he enjoyed ship life so much and was not afraid to show it.

On a cruise a few years ago we were told that he had passed away - cannot confirm that. He was certainly younger than the three ladies mentioned.

It's great to hear that Dolly is still going strong ... or was, at least, as of the World Cruise early this year. I've not seen her in a couple of years.

This brings back fond memories of Kissing Annie, too.

And then there's my FAVORITE Guest Classic ... RuthC! ;)

Blessings!

• Like 1

And then there's my FAVORITE Guest Classic ... RuthC! ;)

Blessings!

Why thank you, Greg dear. So very nice to see you back here, at least a little.

You've been missed, so don't be a stranger! (I have cruises booked. Wanna come?)

On a cruise a few years ago we were told that he had passed away - cannot confirm that. He was certainly younger than the three ladies mentioned.

I remember hearing that. I think I was told it was an auto accident.

Sad, especially as you said---he enjoyed his time to the fullest.

Dolly is one of the more interesting people in the world that you can ever run across. I've chatted with her 4 - 5 times. She likes to call the "Amsterdam" home.The first time we met she asked if she could ride the transfer bus to the airport to meet friends arriving. She spent several hours there meeting and greeting then returned.

I told her that she did a better job than me.

Once when she was in San Diego, she purchased an all-day city bus pass for $5 instead of taking any HAL tour. She said that she went to Balboa Park museums, and Coronado.

Another time is was pouring rain, and she walked into the terminal just drenched. I asked her why she didn't buy and umbrella, and she told me "It's just water."She always flies on Southwest because she doesn't have to pay extra for luggage.

The last time she departed the ship she walked off on her own to the bus.

I certainly hope she will be sailing on October 1st so I can see her again.

David

:D

Why thank you, Greg dear. So very nice to see you back here, at least a little.

You've been missed, so don't be a stranger! (I have cruises booked. Wanna come?)

I've got nothing booked. What do you have in mind, O Chocolate Goddess? :*

• 1 month later...

Here is a picture of a Dolly from the HAL blog as she boarded Grand Asia on October 1, 2018. Still looking good!

d40c95ea7e84a2c83cfb9a64b12c964d.jpg

Also shown Hotel Director Henk, Mariner Society director Gerald, Dolly, CAPT Fred and CD Hamish

Hal blog is here https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/destinations/asia-pacific/bon-voyage-to-the-grand-asia-and-pacific-guests/

• Like 1