Evening dress code on Encore in Mediterranean

cece50

• 2 weeks later...

This question relates to an August med cruise on the Odyssey but I suspect the answer would be the same.

How prevalent are Tuxedos on formal nights? In two minds whether to bring or go with the formal but less formal blazer option...

This question relates to an August med cruise on the Odyssey but I suspect the answer would be the same.

How prevalent are Tuxedos on formal nights? In two minds whether to bring or go with the formal but less formal blazer option...

You will see a few Gentlemen wearing a Tux and you will see a few not wearing a Tux but wearing a jacket and tie or a jacket with an open neck shirt.

All is ok but wear what makes you feel at your best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will see a few Gentlemen wearing a Tux and you will see a few not wearing a Tux but wearing a jacket and tie or a jacket with an open neck shirt.

All is ok but wear what makes you feel at your best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks. I will reflect. Ok with a Tux and ok with a jacket and open neck shirt. Not ok with a suit as I wear one most days for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our present sailing, Kobe to Vancouver, most men wear jackets with striped dress shorts in the evening, almost a uniform but they look good. We had many tuxedos on our first formal night but the ladies wore knee length dressy dresses. I don’t recall any ankle length dresses. The restaurants are well air conditioned so the men are comfortable in their jackets

On our present sailing, Kobe to Vancouver, most men wear jackets with striped dress shorts in the evening, almost a uniform but they look good. We had many tuxedos on our first formal night but the ladies wore knee length dressy dresses. I don’t recall any ankle length dresses. The restaurants are well air conditioned so the men are comfortable in their jackets

Sorry, am I missing something? Sport coats over shorts?!?

Sent from my VS988 using Forums mobile app

Striped dress shorts? I've never seen them!

In a Shanghai department store we saw heavily padded down shorts, perhaps the stripes are the latest connotation especially for Seabourn (to please those that wish to wear shorts in the evening;))

It would be nice to see a photo:D

Is it appropriate to wear white jeans and a nice top with heels or wedges in the evening in July on a seabourn cruise or do I need to be dressier than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That sounds fine to me but there will be women that will have summer dresses on

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

Is it appropriate to wear white jeans and a nice top with heels or wedges in the evening in July on a seabourn cruise or do I need to be dressier than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rather depends on the dress code for the evening and where you plan to dine. Ok for a casual night at the patio grill i suppose, lots of summer dresses normally though. And then cocktail length generally or dressy pants for formal.

I save my white jeans for more casual daytime wear, but that is just me. I usually wear a dress in the evenings, or pants (but not jeans) with a dressy top. To tell you the truth, I never focussed on what others were wearing while we were on the Encore. I always felt like I fit in with my choices, and did not notice anyone in the evenings that seemed out of line with the dress code. We dined most evenings in the MDR.

You do slightly run the risk of being frowned on with obvious jeans in the evening, in the dining room. My solution is black or white jeans, but with a longish top over so the telltale belt and back pockets do not show, making them look more like regular cotton trousers. Not blue denim, however, even if ripped and adorned with jewels by Dior or whoever, and costing hundreds of dollars.

As a person from northern Europe I can't imagine why anyone would want to wear jeans in the Med in summer months!

For those cruising further north, eg Scandinavia, British Isles, Alaska nobody will bat an eyelid if you're wearing your blue jeans during the daytime.

Except for the rainy countries, UK I'm looking at you, worth remembering that when jeans get wet it takes them forever to dry in cooler temperatures.

That said, we're having some gorgeous weather in parts of the UK right now, as is most of northern Europe.

It's in the mid 20s (mid 70s F) whereas I noticed some parts of Spain were 10 degrees C cooler than here! I'll be in Stockholm tomorrow where it's going to be 29 C (84F), however, in Barcelona for example it will be 21 C (71F).

Of course take the blue denims for the daytime - I do and am also over 70 - but it is just this (possibly a bit old-fashioned ) rule that they are not suitable for the evening that I suggest the way round it. I take blue, white and black usually, as well as other coloured cotton trousers, but forget the blue denim after 6 - simple as that.

I think we have pretty much established that denim blue jeans are inappropriate after 6pm! I wear mine only during the day and being from Dallas, where it is ultra steamy and hot in the summertime, we wear them in the summertime too! Rest assured that they are only one of the pairs of pants I am bringing--the others being white and navy. I think we will all be appropriately dressed for our respective cruises. The issue I am having now is what gets packed and what stays home. Hearing that it is going to be in the 80sF in Stockholm is surprising--but I will be prepared for any eventuality.