New Cunard Ship coming in 2022

omah1975

I will also add that the Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship design is a Holland America design that their first Ship MS Koningsdam is based on. Regards,Jerry

Thanks - that is encouraging to hear - I did a little research on the facilities on the Koningsdam, and it appears that they do have what is described as the best ballroom at sea - The Queens Lounge - but very disappointing that the forum posts that I saw relating to cruises on that ship, since its launch last year, indicate that there is only an hour or two of ballroom dancing in the Queens Lounge with the majority of time when the room is in use at all being a BB King event that precluded ballroom dancing. However if the overall design of the new Cunard ship follows the pattern of the Koningsdam, then perhaps it will include a Queens Room and continue the rich tradition of the Cunard Queens having ballroom dancing as a major entertainment on its cruises when it comes into service.

I know the overall power consumption per knot goes up exponentially, I was rather referring to the specific fact the GTs will use twice as much fuel for twice as much power generation and half as much for half - it’s closely link UVed, unlike diesels which won’t consume much more fuel running at 100% than they will at 80% or 50%.
Diesels may be more efficient at full load, but it's a stretch to say their fuel consumption rate doesn't vary significantly with load.

Here's an example table. You can see that if you go from 50% to 100% load on any of the sizes the fuel consumption increases, just not linearly.

http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/Diesel_Fuel_Consumption.aspx

What is described as the best ballroom at sea - The Queens Lounge, doesn't mean it isn't the largest.

Having looked at the deck plans and photos for the Koningsdam, it does appear smaller than QE and QV.

If Carnival deprive Cunarders of two essential ingredients of a Cunard Ship, ie Decent Queens room and promenade deck, they are likely to disappoint a large part of their customer base.

What is described as the best ballroom at sea - The Queens Lounge, doesn't mean it isn't the largest.

Having looked at the deck plans and photos for the Koningsdam, it does appear smaller than QE and QV.

If Carnival deprive Cunarders of two essential ingredients of a Cunard Ship, ie Decent Queens room and promenade deck, they are likely to disappoint a large part of their customer base.

Just to reiterate that the MS Koningsdam is a larger Ship than Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth. The deck plans of both Vista Class Cunard Queens are different as compared to the Holland America Vista Class Ships. And the new Pinnacle Class Cunard Ship entering service in 2022, Queen What Ever Her Name Will Be, will be my guess about 30 or 40 feet longer in overall length compared to the MS Koningsdam. Regards,Jerry

Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

Could the new ship be names "Princess Diana"? or would that be too confusing due to the Princess Cruise line? What I'm really getting at is would they ever not use Queen?

As you probably know, prior to the original Queen Mary the Cunard tradition was to end names in "ia", quite a few named for Roman provinces. Once the original Queens became the popular famous icons they did, then Cunard used "queen" as the top of the line ships with others still ending in "ia". Now that Carnival has the line, all the ships are "top of the line" so I think "Queen" will be a part of all future Cunarders. Just an opinion on a nice Saturday. Cheers. :cool:

My answer to Egremont and Mcloaked is that the new Cunard Queen entering service in 2022 is based on the Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship design which is an enlarged design of the Vista Class Cruise Ship which Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth is based on. Both Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth are 964 feet long and 106 feet wide. The Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship is 975 feet long and 114 feet wide. And the new Cunard Pinnacle Queen will probably be stretched out another 30 or 40 feet in overall length to be either 1005 feet long or 1015 feet long. Regards,Jerry

This sounds good although I have to say they should make the ship more attractive in appearance. This has always been another point Cunard have traded on. I am still thinking that they still need a new small ship to support the transatlantic sailings and allow passengers a number of days in US or UK and sail back.

Regards John

This sounds good although I have to say they should make the ship more attractive in appearance. This has always been another point Cunard have traded on. I am still thinking that they still need a new small ship to support the transatlantic sailings and allow passengers a number of days in US or UK and sail back.

Regards John

Won't ever happen. Not a lot of money in small ships except for ultra luxury lines that charge significantly more per person. Only large ones at the price point Cunard charges can make money.

Could the new ship be names "Princess Diana"? or would that be too confusing due to the Princess Cruise line? What I'm really getting at is would they ever not use Queen?

There never actually was a "Princess Diana" she could only be called that if she was a daughter of the sovereign or the daughter of a prince. Her correct title when she was married was "HRH The Princess of Wales" and after divorce her title was "Diana, Princess of Wales."

I think there would be a very good market for a Cunard luxury smaller ship with 3 grades equivalent to

Britannia Club, Princess Grill and Queens Grill . And it would be able to go, in Cunard style, to places

now inaccessible to the present Cunard fleet.

Rob

I second that. She must have a nice 'proper' prom deck too

Guest SilverHengroen
I think there would be a very good market for a Cunard luxury smaller ship with 3 grades equivalent to

Britannia Club, Princess Grill and Queens Grill . And it would be able to go, in Cunard style, to places

now inaccessible to the present Cunard fleet.

Rob

I understand that one of the reasons Cunard ditched the original ‘Queen Victoria’ - now Arcadia with P&O was that the economics for a ship of that size/ capacity didn’t allow for a Princess Grill tier, and it was to be a Britannia & Queen’s Grill only set up. I don‘t know if anyone else here can corroborate this and provide any more info?

Regards John

More choice of dates for 4 or 5 day NY stays on transatlantic sailings would be a great attraction for us.

More choice of dates for 4 or 5 day NY stays on transatlantic sailings would be a great attraction for us.

Certainly not trying to rain on anyone's parade but Micky Arison is on record numerous times saying the transatlantic run barely supports one ship let alone two. And he said it only made financial sense building a ship the size of Queen Mary because anything smaller even the size of QE2 would lose money. There will never be a second or smaller.

Certainly not trying to rain on anyone's parade but Micky Arison is on record numerous times saying the transatlantic run barely supports one ship let alone two. And he said it only made financial sense building a ship the size of Queen Mary because anything smaller even the size of QE2 would lose money. There will never be a second or smaller.

So basically he has not said it will never happen.

Regards John

Pity he said that. A well supported high occupancy top end small ship is always profitable and there are enough

happy Cunard Grills customers to make it so :)

I agree with you. That's basically where I spend my travel money though not on a swift transatlantic ship. But I agree with the previous poster that Mickey Arison will never build it. Having studied Mr. A for a while and having been around him a time or two I feel confident saying that he is not a "ship guy". Mickey is, through and through, a money man. As long as he can fill ships by giving the illusion of a period piece liner great. As soon as that changes the selling off of unprofitable pieces will be rapid.

Guest SilverHengroen
Pity he said that. A well supported high occupancy top end small ship is always profitable and there are enough

happy Cunard Grills customers to make it so :)

I believe Cunard now trades on a big ship image so to speak - it was always the flagships and express liners that got the attention, even if the smaller intermediate liners were also important (if not more important) to the company’s bottom line. On a small ship you lose the experience of the big theatre for shows, films and cabaret performances, you lose the diversity and avaiability of venues to offer a wide variety of things to do simultaneously. Having the run of a bigger ship with a taste of the more intimate luxury experience is part of the sell of the grills. I don’t think losing the amenities of a bigger ship and having to scale it up to 800 people would work well if I’m honest.

So basically he has not said it will never happen.

Regards John

They've already built them- it's called Seabourn. They're basically Queens Grill put to sea for 400 passengers. That's Carnivals small ship play- it'll never be under the Cunard banner.

They've made it pretty clear that Cunard is a large ship operation- the last small Cunarder were likely to have seen was Vistafjord/Caronia. They couldn't wait to sell her off to Saga.

They've already built them- it's called Seabourn. They're basically Queens Grill put to sea for 400 passengers. That's Carnivals small ship play- it'll never be under the Cunard banner.

They've made it pretty clear that Cunard is a large ship operation- the last small Cunarder were likely to have seen was Vistafjord/Caronia. They couldn't wait to sell her off to Saga.

I think you will find that you are confusing Cunard with another line. Seabourn is not a part of Cunard and does not do Queens Grill.

Regards John.

I think you will find that you are confusing Cunard with another line. Seabourn is not a part of Cunard and does not do Queens Grill.

Regards John.

I think you may have misread the above - Seabourn is part of the Carnival Corp and so operates as the small luxury ship offering within their broader portfolio. For a short while from 1999 into the millennium Seabourn and Cunard were ran as a single entity by Carnival.

I meant build a smaller ship- Carnival won't build a small deluxe ship for Cunard because they've already built three for Seabourn which fills the same niche in the market. And Seabourn was run by Cunard not all that long ago and shares a lot of DNA to this day with the Queens Grill on QE2 from that era.