Budget Hotels London England

rcafcaf

I am cruising from Southampton on the 28 Oct 2016. I will be arriving in London on the 25 Oct 2016 . I would like to stay in London from 25 to 28 Oct 2016 and then go to the cruise center in Southampton to begin our cruise on Navigator of the Seas. What I am requesting are Budget Hotels in London close to Hop on Bus tours of London stops , Transport from Hearthrow Airport to Hotel and then transport to Southampton Cruise Center on the 28 Oct 2016. Thank You for any help Bob

plu

You might want to post your questions on the Britain Ports of Call board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233.

Since you have a number of questions embedded in this single thread, I would suggest a new thread (appropriately titled) on that board for each question. You'll get better, more thorough responses that way.

Good luck!

Edited by capriccio

You will not find a hotel with transport from airport or to cruise port free.

You do know that budget and mid hotels will most likely be walk ups so you need to carry luggage up four possible floors. Near hop on bus would most likely be very expensive since these would be near a popular place.

What do you consider budget and maybe I could recommend something?

Last trip I stayed at the Luna Simone Hotel that I would consider a nice hotel in the budget friendly price area. Again, no free transfers, no elevator, not near hop on off (but within a 1/2 mile walk). The have a nice free breakfast. The rooms were renovated and the bath (very small) was nice.

PS. Rooms are small also.

plu

Edited by Donray

On our one and only pre cruise stay in London , we found the Best Western - Corona to be satisfactory for the price paid.

Short walk to the Victoria Station bus terminal to meet the Cunard transfer to Southampton.

Also short walk to a HO/HO bus near the same location.

I don't know your budget, but I like Elizabeth Hotel, cost slightly under $200/night. You can find it on Trip Advisor. It's about a mile from Paddington Station (where Heathrow Express arrives and departs). It is also across the street from Lancaster tube station, Hyde Park and a HOHO bus stop. A pub with delicious food is around the corner. The Elizabeth is not new, but the service staff are extremely helpful, it has an elevator, a business center, a bar, and a restaurant in the building, plus a pretty garden to enjoy in nice weather. In my experience London hotel rooms are smaller than most U.S. rooms even in some higher priced venues. Hope this helps.

"London" and "budget" rarely appear in the same sentence ;)

If you can't find sensibly-priced accommodation close to a ho-ho route, do make sure it's at least handy to a tube station on the fringes of central London, eg Paddington, Kensington, Victoria, Kings Cross. That puts you only a cheap 5 to 10 minute tube ride from the sights and the ho-hos.

And if your dates are a weekend, check out hotels in the business district (aka "City of London" or "the square mile"), centred on the Bank of England. Or even (via Docks Light Railway) Canary Wharf.

These places are expensive during the week but cheap at weekends.

Advice on transport from Heathrow depends on the location of your hotel - for instance the tube for Kensington, Heathrow Express for Paddington, National Express for Victoria. Or about £35 to £50 for a pre-booked private transfer.

So post your narrowed-down hotel choices, and we'll argue amongst ourselves about the best transport option.

To some extent the same applies for travel from central London to Southampton, but the two obvious budget choices are:

National Express coach (bus) from Victoria direct to Southampton, about 2.5 hrs, no more than £15 per person and often cheaper.

Or train from Waterloo direct to Southampton, about 90 minutes. Walk-up fare £40, but if pre-purchased via https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx the cost is between £1 (yes, one pound) and £15. Only a few trains each day qualify for Megatrain tickets, but there'll be 2 or 3 that suit a cruiser's timetable. (There are no megatrain tickets for sundays).

By bus or train it's no problem to travel to Southampton on the morning of your cruise departure.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

JB :)

I don't know your budget, but I like Elizabeth Hotel, cost slightly under $200/night. You can find it on Trip Advisor. It's about a mile from Paddington Station (where Heathrow Express arrives and departs). It is also across the street from Lancaster tube station, Hyde Park and a HOHO bus stop. A pub with delicious food is around the corner. The Elizabeth is not new, but the service staff are extremely helpful, it has an elevator, a business center, a bar, and a restaurant in the building, plus a pretty garden to enjoy in nice weather. In my experience London hotel rooms are smaller than most U.S. rooms even in some higher priced venues. Hope this helps.

Step one for a budget-conscious traveler is to stay off Heathrow Express. Take regular undegrround Picadilly Line for substantially lower fare - and slightly longer ride . Check the many hotels near the Gloucester Road underground station - Cromwell Road - for good rates. Also, the three lines: Picadilly, District and Central which stop at Gloucester Road would give you easy, cheap access to all of London.

Step one for a budget-conscious traveler is to stay off Heathrow Express. Take regular undegrround Picadilly Line for substantially lower fare - and slightly longer ride . Check the many hotels near the Gloucester Road underground station - Cromwell Road - for good rates. Also, the three lines: Picadilly, District and Central which stop at Gloucester Road would give you easy, cheap access to all of London.

Yes, the walk-up price for the Heathrow Express is seriously expensive - anything up to £24 one-way for a standard seat for a journey of just 15 minutes.

But half that price if you book at least 90 days out - and just £5.50 if that's for travel at the weekend.

So if booked early it's worthwhile for a hotel in the Paddington area - simpler, quicker & more convenient than the tube, frequency every 15 to 20 minutes, and with proper luggage stowage. And possibly cheaper than the tube if booked well in advance.

Alternatively if you can't book 90 days out, the Heathrow Connect train costs £10. Also goes to Paddington, journey time just 5 minutes longer, 30 minute frequency, but no dedicated luggage stowage.

Yes, in South Kensington on or near the Cromwell Road there's stacks of small privately-run hotels. But some are very sub-standard so checking independent reviews is particularly important.

Near London's museum district (all free admission), and several tube stations

Budget Hotels in London

Check Travelodge and Premier Inn

Transport from Hearthrow Airport to Hotel and then transport to Southampton Cruise Center

Budget? Go by bus.

Nationalexpress from Heathrow to Victoria Coach Station are 6 Pounds, if you book them now. Victoria to Southampton is 13 Pounds. I doubt you can find much cheaper and it's comfortable enough for the short-ish ride.

Check out Marriott hotels in London... and SmithtotheAirport on line for transfer to and from the ship. We have stayed at Marriotts, and used the transfer service and would do so again.

We did a TA in the fall one year and stayed at the Bestwestern Victoria Palace, It was cheap for a London hotel but it was small, clean, and no frills. It was 3 blocks from Victoria station so it was easy to get to from the airport and the tube gave us access to almost everywhere we wanted to go. HOHO bus was just around the corner as well as Grayline tour buses. I paid about $5bps with National Express to get to Southampton.

• 2 months later...

This reply is too late to help this cruiser, since we took what was probably the same cruise; but for those of you looking for affordable hotels, we used the London House (about 4 minutes walk from Bayswater Tube Station) before our cruise. The room was small (as we also experienced in NYC) but very nice. We enjoyed it a lot. They also have a room to store our luggage after we checked out but before time to leave, and there was a luggage scale in that room. There are lots of restaurants of great variety. The staff was good. There was coffee/tea service in the room. Pieces of advice learned the hard way: From Victoria Station, make sure you take the Circle (yellow) line, NOT the District (green) line which runs on the same tracks; it's listed on the front and side of the train cars. Also, when you get out of Bayswater, turn left and walk to the stop light (1 block), cross the street, and turn left. The hotel is about a block down. You'll see the street name; turn right and it's a few doors down.

After our cruise, we stayed at Comfort Inn Hyde Park. It was also small but really nice and the staff was fun. They stored our luggage until time to go. This one has free breakfast too, and coffee/tea service in the room. It's close to the London house, but we used the Queensway Tube Station. Those two stations (Bayswater and Queensway) are about 2 blocks apart, and since each is on a separate line, it was convenient to use the one that was more direct to our destination.

Both hotels are close to a Ho Ho stop, which is between Bayswater and Queensway Tub Stations. We took the Big Bus tour and it was very informative and fun. The included Thames cruise was also worthwhile.

Finding hotels was a big stressor when I was planning my trip, and I hope my review can spare you some of that stress so you can concentrate on how to get the most out of the time you have.

Adding this to help others who might stumble onto this thread. Rather than a hotel, consider renting a flat. For about $200 you can get a studio in South Kensington (or very close to it, look for SW7) with a kitchen and washer/dryer. This will allow you to pack less and leave for the cruise with clean laundry. You can save a LOT of money by having breakfast and dinner in the flat and eating at Pickles or Pret A Manger for lunch.

You can easily take the tube from LHR to either of the South Kensington Picadilly line stations--this is by far the cheapest way to go. There are lifts at the stations and the sidewalks are very flat and well maintained.

Tesco and Waitrose will be very close to stock up on groceries. Boots is at the Gloucester Road station.

That area will give you walking access to the V&A, Kensington Palace and Gardens, Kensington High Street, Knightsbridge, and so much more.

Many (most) museums are free or donation based. Don't miss the manuscript room at the British Library.

We love London and always book a flat and have breakfast and some dinners in to stretch the budget to have a couple of treats like theater tickets or high tea at some swanky place.

• 4 months later...
Check Travelodge and Premier Inn

I checked their prices, and I wouldn't necessarily call them budget hotels.

Location, location, location.

Both chains are at the budget end in the provinces.:)

In the centre of the big bad city they're generally less- expensive than their neighbours.

But central London is expensive :(

We use (I copied this info from their website)

Comfort Inn St Pancras - Kings Cross 3-star hotel Less than 320 yards from King's Cross and St. Pancras International train stations, the Comfort Inn is a 3-star metro hotel with attractive, air-conditioned rooms with private bathrooms.

Next month 7 nights = $ 926 double bed

A continental buffet breakfast is available each day. Each reservation earns 4 hours of free Wi-Fi to be used during the stay. The front desk is open 24 hours a day and there is an air-conditioned lounge in the lobby.

Taking the tube from King's Cross will get you almost anywhere in London. We googled and printed maps before we left with all the bus and tube routes. We took the train- Britrail- from London to Southampton

I also posted for anyone new that came across this thread :D

Budget Hotel is a relative term .... London is one of the most expensive cities in Europe (but we wouldn't have missed it for the world) :D And yes, Location Location Location

All the entries here talk about using the tube or buses - tip = we always buy passes online good for the number of days we'll be in London. The ones we get are good for unlimited trips on any tube or bus. It made life sooooo much simpler.

Kind of an older thread resurrected for some reason so...

Check our Hotel Ibis Euston Station. Very economical (for London) but very plain. Heading to/from a cruise you would feel right at home with the cruise ship sized room/bathroom BUT.... it's not outrageous expensive. Lots of city bus options in front of the station and walkable to the British Museum.