No egg crate mattress topper-Koningsdam

Lyndihop

I think that you will find that you no longer need the mattress toppers. I always asked for them as well, but when I was on the Koningsdam in March, the mattress was so comfortable, I didn't need one.

Our bed on the Eurodam and Westerdam -- in the PS had a new mattress -- box spring and mattress all in one. It was low to the floor and rock hard.

We had to get our cabin stewards to bring another mattress to but under this new one just to get it higher for me to get out of bed easily with my bad knees.

To make it soft, our cabin steward folded up one duvet for my side of the bed and got an extra one to cover us. DH can sleep on a hard mattress but I can't.

On the Amsterdam last month, they had what felt like a pillow-top mattress on my Neptune Suite bed and it was VERY comfortable. I'm another one who is sensitive to hard mattresses -- bad back, bad knee, and *really* bad shoulder -- so I have a pillow-top mattress at home and before that, I used egg-crate toppers. The Neptune suite bed was as comfortable as my home mattress. I suspect they use different furnishings depending on when they refurbish?

I had our TA request a mattress pad for our upcoming cruise on Veendam. He sent back the message from HAL that their mattresses have comfort tops and they no longer supply mattress pads. I guess I'll find out. m--

I got a mattress topper on the Veendam in June, this year. I always found the HAL beds comfortable but this one was not very comfortable before getting the topper.

I got a mattress topper on the Veendam in June, this year. I always found the HAL beds comfortable but this one was not very comfortable before getting the topper.

Thank you! I may try asking the room steward for one when we board. Last year on Amsterdam I found the bed much better with a mattress pad. That was a long cruise and so is this one so I want to be able to sleep well and avoid bad issues. Thanks for your encouraging info. m--

I had our TA request a mattress pad for our upcoming cruise on Veendam. He sent back the message from HAL that their mattresses have comfort tops and they no longer supply mattress pads. I guess I'll find out. m--

We are on the same cruise as you, and we ordered an eggcrate mattress for the sofa bed. HAL sent our TA notification that it would be available for us. Perhaps try again.

Valerie

• 2 weeks later...

I got off the Koningsdam a week ago and found the bed rock hard. The steward put on a topper and it was still rock hard so I requested another. That brought it to the tolerable level, but it was definitely not to the comfortable level. I should add that I have not had to request a topper on any other ship I've been on.

Yes we could. However that's quite aways to tote to Rome.:)

Well, it depends on how desperate you are for the topper ;-)

I have carried my backpacker mattress with me TATL, to use as a seat cushion when I'm forced to fly coach. I could always put it under the bottom sheet if the bed was in bad shape. It's a Thermarest Womens Pro lite. Weighs 1.5 lbs, 20x66 in. Self-inflating. Rolls up to a nice 2x5 bundle. It's good in a pinch!!

I'm a Princess and the Pea sleeper. I check out the bed reviews literally everywhere I go. If the situation sounds iffy, I vacuum bag a twin size eggcrate to take with me. My husband uses a Mattress Genie for travel, so I just put my eggcrate baggie in with that. I pack all the miscellaneous sleep stuff in one suitcase, anyway, so making room isn't that much trouble. We always take a battery-or-electric fan with us, too, since hubby likes a cool room to sleep in. All of it fits in a 21" suitcase.

I will also double over the duvet and put it under my sheet for some extra cush. It's like creating my own pillow-top mattress with the egg crate and the folded duvet.

So, it seems they do have toppers on the Koningsdam. However our TA conveyed that HAL said same as other posters mentioned "mattress are comfortable - no need for for toppers".

I didn't take apart the bed and inspect it but it felt more like an extra duvet underneath; not egg crate foam.