My very first cruise!

Freeman3030

Hi all,

On Sunday my partner and I booked our very first cruise. Weve spoken for a few years about going on a cruise, but never really delved that much into it as we thought it would always be a future holiday. Anyhow, we just happened to look and saw a fly cruise with P&O on the Azura to the Carribean. We checked the dates and just booked it there and then. It was only £749 so thought it was a steal.

Having never done this before, I'm just wondering how easy it all as. We fly to Barbados and it says online that our luggage is transferred from the plane to the boat. Do we literally get off of the plane, get a transfer and head for the boat. Is it really that simple?

Also, I'm concerned about evening wear. There are 9 casual nights and 4 black tie nights. Are jeans and a shirt too casual for the casual evenings? And do you have to wear a black suit to the black tie nights?

I'm so excited, but nervous at the same time! Any tips for first timers would be much appreciated!

Yes it is that easy, and yes the ship is a little on the dressy side.

From P&O

Smart-casual is the norm during the day, and at night, three evening dress codes prevail. "Evening Casual" means open necked shirts and tailored trousers or even smart jeans for men, although most wear lounge suits or jackets. Dresses or casual separates are fine for women. "Smart, Jacket Required" means a blazer or sports jacket for men (although suits are equally acceptable) and dress, trouser suits or smart separates for women. "Black Tie" is the most formal, requiring a dinner jacket or tuxedo for men (dark suits are acceptable) and evening or cocktail dress or trousers suits for women. Ties are mandatory, and children ages 13 to 17 should wear Evening Casual dress or smarter.

happy cruising

Luggage is transferred directly to the ship and will appear in your cabin. Cruise line also provides mini-buses to transport the passengers from airport tarmac direct to booking in tent next to the ship. You do not go through the airport terminal, far end usually.

General tip have a bit of hand luggage for the first casual night with you including wash, toothbrush etc. because of lag time in case arriving in your cabin and evening meal time starting may clash a bit.

Black Tie - Formal Nights typically people wear tuxedos, some wear a dark suit and tie.

I do not tend to do jeans, certainly ripped or distressed types are unacceptable officially.

There is a P&O UK section on this forum.

There will likely be a live thread on the "Roll Calls" section for you exact cruise.

Regards John

A cruise is like being at a resort hotel...albeit, with smaller rooms...cabins are tiny unless you book a suite. Bring what you'd bring for ANY vacation..pack for the weather in your ports.

You will NOT need jeans for the Caribbean....it's HOT year round...bring summer clothing...lighter weight fabrics.