Tipping on Disney

Mamanance

I have cruised many times and my daughter just booked a three day cruise on the Wonder. We cannot believe what they are asking for in tips. I have NEVER seen tips that high on any ship. Does anyone feel the same way? I always tip and appreciate the service, but to me they are way off the wall.:eek:

Maybe there's some confusion about "per day" tipping as opposed to "per cruise" tipping. My experience has been that recommended tips are the same on Disney, Royal Caribbean and Carnival - about $10 to $11 per person per day, when you add up the various people you tip. Is that the information you got, mamanance?

It says for a three night sailing , dining room server $11 per person, assistant server $8.00 per person, stateroom attendant $10.75. Now if that is PER day, then that is way higher then other ships. Unless I am reading it wrong. Maybe I am, anyone know? I just prepaid my tips on a 7 day cruise and it comes out to $10.00 per day for each of us, and it's broken down as $5.50 for dining room server, $1.00 for the assistant server, and $3.50 per day for the cabin attendant. Big difference.

I know, considering on our 1st Disney cruise we only ate at our "scheduled" dining place, with our wait staff, for 1 meal. We ate at Palo one night had room service another night.

We leave for our 7 day on Sept. 2 and they want/suggest $25.00 per person for the head server for that week. And most likely we won't eat in the dining room every night on this trip either.

The thing to remember, though, is that the dining room staff also works breakfasts and lunches, as well. You won't see your same servers at every daytime meal, but the tips kind of average out for all the service you receive throughout the day.

It says for a three night sailing , dining room server $11 per person, assistant server $8.00 per person, stateroom attendant $10.75. Now if that is PER day, then that is way higher then other ships. Unless I am reading it wrong. Maybe I am, anyone know? I just prepaid my tips on a 7 day cruise and it comes out to $10.00 per day for each of us, and it's broken down as $5.50 for dining room server, $1.00 for the assistant server, and $3.50 per day for the cabin attendant. Big difference.

Definitely for the whole three days. No wonder you had sticker shock! :p

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely keep in mind that the servers, and busboys do not only work one shift per day i.e. they do not just work the main dining rooms at dinner. They also work the main dining rooms at breakfast and lunch. They will also work the buffets in the casual dining area. So if you are eating a meal anywhere onboard the ship at anytime of the day, those servers or busboys that you only think you see at dinner are also working at the same times you are eating the other meals of the day.

• 1 month later...

Had to bump this up - good info here.

I do have one question. Do most people find that they usually tip the suggested amount or do you go above that? I've only cruised once and I felt the service was worth above that amount but didn't know if I went up enough. If you do go above the suggested amount do you typically tip slightly, moderately or way above the suggested tip? Do you always tip above that amount or just when service warrants it?

Thanks!

Had to bump this up - good info here.

If you do go above the suggested amount do you typically tip slightly, moderately or way above the suggested tip? Do you always tip above that amount or just when service warrants it?

I've cruised on Princess several times. I usually do whatever they automatically charge to the room, but then have some twenties for the last day. I tend to tip a particular waitress in the bar well, the steward and any server at meals who stands out with exceptional service. I think we tipped the assistant cruise director $100 one cruise b/c she was so incredibly good. Otherwise, I just let the line dole it out as they want.

We have always tipped above, but they have all worked very hard. This past trip, we probably tipped 50 percent above but it was a longer cruise and we really got to know them. I feel sorry for the ones who work short cruises -- somehow some people find it easier to not tip or think that their servers haven't done anything for them. On our 11-day cruise, our head server said it could be really hard to connect with all of their tables on the short cruises because the first night, people were trying to change their dining times or in some cases, dining companions so they were really busy with that, on the second night, the guests often tried for Palo, and on the third and last night, the head server finally was able to say hello and many people were upset with that.

I have been told multiple times that Disney's tipping scale is in line with the other cruise lines. Having not been on any other line in my two cruises, I can't speak to that.

I do hope you have great servers and can tip them in a way that you feel really good about, whatever that amount may be.:)

• 2 weeks later...

On Disney anytime during the cruise you can got to guest services and put tips on your room account. They then give you vouchers to present to the various staff members.

I usually bring some extra 20's or 10's to do extra tipping or if I make a special request.

• 7 years later...

I go on line with any of our cruises and charge them in advance. I have found that carnival is a bit cheaper. however carnival is the only line where i have not felt the need to bump it up either. disney i always bump up - they are always beyond expecectations. (and we had a carnival dining manager tell us that the people would not qualify to work at disney cause their standards are higher).

Tips are a total of $12 per guest per night of cruise. So for a 3 night cruise, the tips are $36 for each person in your cabin.

If you are alone in the cabin--$36 total.

you + one other $72 total

you +3 others $144 total.

About the same as other lines. Celebrity was $11or $11.25, so DCL is in the ballpark. And you'll be amazed at how well you are treated.

So who pulled this up from 2006 and recycled it? Yup, I got stung.

Edited by moki'smommy

Tips are a total of $12 per guest per night of cruise. So for a 3 night cruise' date=' the tips are $36 for each person in your cabin.

If you are alone in the cabin--$36 total.

you + one other $72 total

you +3 others $144 total.

About the same as other lines. Celebrity was $11or $11.25, so DCL is in the ballpark. And you'll be amazed at how well you are treated.

So who pulled this up from 2006 and recycled it? Yup, I got stung.[/quote']

A zombie thread strikes again!

Please, if you eat at Palo's or Remy's, these servers do not share in the dining tips you leave in the main dining rooms. They work hard to provide a high end dining experience and deserve a tip.

I can't remember for sure, but I think we tip $15-20 per visit.

Please, if you eat at Palo's or Remy's, these servers do not share in the dining tips you leave in the main dining rooms. They work hard to provide a high end dining experience and deserve a tip.

I can't remember for sure, but I think we tip $15-20 per visit.

There is no sharing of tips in the main dining rooms. YOUR server gets the tip that you leave for him/her whether that is the suggested or something else. The sharing of tips that I'm aware of is the 15% automatic gratuity on all bar items (including non-alcoholic bar purchases). These are pooled and shared by the bar workers. Any additional tip you place on a bar tab does go to the individual who served you.

In Palo (and I assume Remy although I've not been specifically told this), a portion of the upcharge goes to the servers. Most people leave an additional tip in these venues. And remember that your Palo and Remy servers will also be seen serving breakfast on the pool deck or working in the fast food outlets.