Passports on excursions

Bring ship card and picture ID. Thats mostly all you need with loop cruises from from a US port starting your cruise and ending your cruise in US port. However if using a outside vendor for excursion other than ship sponsor bring passport and credit cards just in case you miss the ship which is rare. You will than need it for flight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Bring ship card and picture ID. Thats mostly all you need with loop cruises from from a US port starting your cruise and ending your cruise in US port. However if using a outside vendor for excursion other than ship sponsor bring passport and credit cards just in case you miss the ship which is rare. You will than need it for flight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Disagree.

Leave the passport in your safe - you could bring a photocopy if you wish.

If you miss the ship (agree that is rare), security will accompany staff to retrieve it from your safe and leave it with the port agent

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Disagree.

Leave the passport in your safe - you could bring a photocopy if you wish.

If you miss the ship (agree that is rare), security will accompany staff to retrieve it from your safe and leave it with the port agent

I'm not entirely sure that's true. Perhaps if you knew you were going to miss and contacted them. Otherwise how would they know if you brought your passport into port or left it on the ship.

I did read a posting from someone that missed the ship and did not have their passports with them. They said that they were able to contact the local police and get special permission to travel without a passport to catch up with the ship. Not sure if it was via plane or train (they were in Europe) but they were going to another country - so a passport would normally be required.

Also from a family member whose friend's passport was stolen while out of the country, you simply have to get to the nearest US embassy to get a replacement.

That being said, we leave our passports in the safe and take our driver's license and a copy of the passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excursions requiring a passport should be marked with a passport required such as the Skagway bus/train excursions which we booked on our previous cruise. The Alaskan cruise even with a closed loop requires a passport for this excursion.

I'm not entirely sure that's true. Perhaps if you knew you were going to miss and contacted them. Otherwise how would they know if you brought your passport into port or left it on the ship.

I did read a posting from someone that missed the ship and did not have their passports with them. They said that they were able to contact the local police and get special permission to travel without a passport to catch up with the ship. Not sure if it was via plane or train (they were in Europe) but they were going to another country - so a passport would normally be required.

Also from a family member whose friend's passport was stolen while out of the country, you simply have to get to the nearest US embassy to get a replacement.

That being said, we leave our passports in the safe and take our driver's license and a copy of the passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's been noted that if you have not returned by the time they are ready to sail off, a member of the staff along with a member of security will head to your stateroom and look in your safe (only) for passports. If they find none, they assume you either have them with you or didn't bring one

We assume since the OP did not specifically mention Cuba...that this is not an issue. One might consider that an awful lot of passengers (it can even be the majority) on a closed loop Caribbean cruise do not even have or own a Passport! We have been on more then 50 Caribbean cruises, over a lot of years, and have never....ever.....taken our Passports off the ship in a port. Since we spend a lot of time in the water (on Caribbean islands) we take the fewest valuables since we do not want to carry them into the sea :).

Hank