Laundry on Amsterdam

TheCalicoCat

Is the self service laundry on MS Amsterdam Coin-op or do you use your room card? (On a 14-night cruise, I'm going to have to do some laundry at some point.)

Coin operated. I can't remember if it's 4 or 6 Quarters for a wash. Maybe 4 for the dryer. It's been a while since I've used it. You used to be able to get a roll of quarters at the front desk.

Janet

Thanks.

I may get the unlimited laundry package - if not now I know to pack quarters & laundry soap.

NOT SOAP! Soap is provided and is chosen to be compatible with the water processing system. Pack quarters and DRYER SHEETS.

Roy

Thanks.

I may get the unlimited laundry package - if not now I know to pack quarters & laundry soap.

I wouldn't bother packing quarters, just get them from front desk. Currency is easier to bring than quarters. Also, do NOT pack laundry soap since yours would not be compatible with ship's system.

Thanks for the updated info on laundry soap.

I've waited in those lines at the Pursers Desk (Or whatever customer service type name they want to call it) & would rather not.

At least in the laundry room I can be reading a book while waiting. (I can't do that while standing in line.)

Thanks for the updated info on laundry soap.

I've waited in those lines at the Pursers Desk (Or whatever customer service type name they want to call it) & would rather not.

At least in the laundry room I can be reading a book while waiting. (I can't do that while standing in line.)

Not sure what you have previously cruised but lines are definitely not the norm on the Amsterdam, which has about 1200 passengers so realy no worries about 'waiting in line' for quarters.

Do have to say, I have met some wonderful people in the laundry room.

You may also want to consider the laundry by the bag option. If you roll your clothes very tight, it is quite amazing how much you can fit into the provided laundry bag that is charged at a set amount, regardless of content.

It's been a while since we were on the Amsterdam....and my memory isn't what it was! I've looked at the deck plans for the ship, and don't see any mention of laundry facilities on any of the decks. Could someone please remind me where they are? We'll be on her in June for a 14 day cruise in Alaska. Thanks so much!

Laura

It's been a while since we were on the Amsterdam....and my memory isn't what it was! I've looked at the deck plans for the ship, and don't see any mention of laundry facilities on any of the decks. Could someone please remind me where they are?

Take a look at the plans for Lower Promenade, forward in the Atrium area. Now, start looking toward aft about 3 cabin lengths (or so; there should be a rest room first, then a door or two). Next comes the laundry.

There used to be one on Main Deck, but I don't know if it's still there. It was immediately forward of the Atrium. There was also one on an upper deck, but I was never sure where, as I never needed it.

I stopped using the self service laundry long ago..Even on our 68 day cruise I had HAL do our laundry by the bag..I rolled our things & DH stuffed the bag for me..WOW..You would not believe how much we were able to get in each bag which at that time was $20 per bag.. Everything came back beautifully pressed & folded or on hangars.. Even my nightgowns were pressed..All DH's shirts including the ones I don't normally press were beautifully pressed & on Hangars.. His long pants, all washable & my Blue Jeans had creases in them, which to this day are still there, even after I wash them..

Don't know what it costs now, but it was well worth my time not having to run back & forth to the laundry & wait for a dryer..Now I spend my time reading out on deck & watching the world go by..

HAL's laundry service is fantastic!!

Edited by serendipity1499

I stopped using the self service laundry long ago..Even on our 68 day cruise I had HAL do our laundry by the bag..

I'll happily send out my daywear, and my undies, by the bag---especially now that I get it as a perq. But I would never send out my evening clothes when they need washing. When I take longer cruises that means I either have to take more clothes for evenings, or wear each outfit more often.

Sometimes, too, a garment needs pressing. Now, I don't normally iron, but I don't want to go out looking like a wrinkled mess, either. HAL's pressing has been known to take that nice, sharp, crease out of the front of my slacks. I press in such a way that the crease stays put. HAL sends my daytime cotton dresses back looking like they need a touch-up.

Doing my own laundry was never a big deal, or a demand on my time. Find an open machine, and put the wash in. Go do something fun. Come back a few minutes before it's done, wait, then move to a dryer. Leave, and return just before it's done. Fold, return it to cabin, put it away, and it's been done the way I like it. Takes maybe a total of 20-30 minutes of my time.

• 7 months later...

Amsterdam also has a self-service laundry on Verandah Deck, between mid-ship and forward elevators. I find this set of machines often less busy than the ones on Lower Promenade, perhaps because there are fewer rooms in the upper decks and suites get free laundry.

I prefer to do our own laundry... nothing gets lost or ruined and it's all back in about 90 minutes. And yes, I have met some wonderful peopIe in the laundry. I might try the ship's dry cleaning service next cruise, depending on if we pack DH's suite and better evening clothes for me.

One word of warning: if you use the irons in the laundry area, be sure to use a pressing cloth, maybe a handkerchief, because water drips form the irons can leave stains. m--

The unlimited laundry package is so worth it, $98 for the two weeks. We set it up each morning and for the most part it was back after dinner.

Wow! We always use the unlimited option and love it, but had never had it come back the same day. For us it usually came back by the following afternoon. Which was fine as we were able to send off a bag every other day. The Amsterdam crew must be stepping up their game.

When we cruised Dec. 15 one great think about Amsterdam is the laundry room is open 24 hrs. a day! Since I sometimes have trouble sleeping I would get up at 3 or 4 am and head down to the laundry room. That way I can use 3 washers and then 3 dryers. By 5 am everything is done, folded and I am back in bed. I loved it. We were on for 18 days and being able to use 3 w/d at one time really speeded up the laundry process.

When we cruised on Rotterdam last year we noticed the laundry room was only open from about 7 am till about 10 or 11 pm. It did take longer then as other people were using the w/d.