Oceania Tips and Suggestions Requested

cruisedad2

When you first find your room, note where the wall phone is on your deck. That will help clue you into which way you have to turn once you get off the elevator to get to your corridor. Then you can look at the boards/signs to know whether to turn left or right once you're on the correct side (without or with wall phone). Keep in mind there are 2 elevators. If one is quite busy, you may want to just walk to the other, especially if it's closer to your room.

I'm always taking my key card in and out, and seldom have pockets, so I take a lanyard.

I've only been on Celebrity Summit, but their buffet was a LOT different from Oceania's. Try the Terrace buffet, especially the grill at the back of the ship, at least once. Also, you don't need to get water or a drink from the buffet. Once you sit down, someone will come and ask you what you want.

Write down or photograph the info for the port agent in each city you visit. If you run into a problem, you can call and ask for help. Port agent will be listed in daily paper.

Oceania has real libraries, unlike Celebrity Summit - although it also does have some travel book hogs. If you're hoping to snag a travel book that covers the area you'll be visiting, all I can say is good luck!

I find the coverlets on the beds much too warm, so I ask for a light cover or blanket when I first meet our cabin steward. Usually there are enough hangers, but if not, I ask for more of them.

If you're an independent traveler when it comes to excursions, and you'll be going to tender ports, you'll be happy to know that Oceania can usually get you on an early tender. They don't generally make independents wait until people on tours are all taken care of. For a place like Santorini, that can make the difference between waiting two hours to get ashore and waiting a half hour.

Edited by roothy123

If you're an independent traveler when it comes to excursions, and you'll be going to tender ports, you'll be happy to know that Oceania can usually get you on an early tender. They don't generally make independents wait until people on tours are all taken care of. For a place like Santorini, that can make the difference between waiting two hours to get ashore and waiting a half hour.

How do you make that happen? 8 of us were doing an independent excursion in tender port for St. Malo last September on Marina. We got to the lounge early, and snagged tender tickets within the first 30 seconds of distribution. And our group leader had talked to the destinations staff on the day prior as well. Then we waited about an hour and 15-20 minutes until our tender ticket number was called. So, I'd really like to know how to make this work for our next time in such a situation.

How do you make that happen? 8 of us were doing an independent excursion in tender port for St. Malo last September on Marina. We got to the lounge early, and snagged tender tickets within the first 30 seconds of distribution. And our group leader had talked to the destinations staff on the day prior as well. Then we waited about an hour and 15-20 minutes until our tender ticket number was called. So, I'd really like to know how to make this work for our next time in such a situation.

I've never been part of a group trying to go ashore, unless you count a group of two. So maybe things are different in that case, as the Oceania excursion folks are probably trying to squeeze independents into tenders full of people on excursions. I suspect it's easier o get one or two indy people on the first or second tender than it is to get 8 people on the same tender. It sounds like they were really juggling to make things work. I think they usually have an O rep for each excursion group, and keep the group together on the tender, which might require some juggling. In some ports they can't use their own tenders and I'm guessing things can get a little "off" when they use the port's tender boats. But I don't know if that was the case in St. Malo. I also don't know if there was some other kind of situation that made the wait longer than normal. All I know is that in the past, the only time I've had any trouble at all getting on the first or second tender was when we visited Easter Island. That was a madhouse, and there were numerous groups that were quite unhappy because they had to wait, an they were afraid their tour guides would leave before they got there. But tendering at EI is really bad for every ship, from what I've heard. Every single person on the ship wants off, and they want off immediately. It's a long tender ride to the rickety dock on the island, and it's a difficult situation no matter how well things are organized.

But back to your question: I've been on the big O ships and (more often) on the small ones, and seldom had much of a wait, unless the ship came in late or other situation that caused delays for everyone. I guess if I organized a group, I'd probably try to add in some extra time for getting ashore in a tender port, especially for Marina and the larger ships. There's always time needed for tying up (if docking) or finding a good spot and anchoring (if not), getting tender boats down, taking table and Oceania reps over to the tender pier, bringing back local authorities, getting cleared, and getting people on the tender boats. So maybe it was unrealistic for me to use a half hour as the time it might take to get the first people ashore, but I've certainly gotten ashore pretty quickly in most cases, and usually on the first tender, so I've been happy. But for a group in a tender port, I'd probably assume that in most ports, meeting a tour guide an hour after docking is reasonable, but likely not before then. I'd make sure the whole group was ready (with key cards, backpack or whatever, etc.) and go to the lounge (or wherever) early to get tickets. (I'm guessing you already know that, but I thought I'd mention it in case others reading this don't know what's expected.)

- On the R-class ships (like Insignia) a hanging cosmetic bag is a must - there isn't much counter or storage space in the bath. But there is a hook on the door to hang a cosmetic case, and you can see everything easily if you buy one with plastic or mesh pockets.

- An extension cord with multiple outlets is another must...not enough plugs in the cabin for all your electronic stuff.

- The best lunch on the ship (IMHO of course) is in Waves if the weather isn't too cold. Also a nice place for breakfast and rarely crowded.

- Already said a couple of times, but best tip of all...Book reservations for all specialty restaurants online on the first date you are allowed to do so. I put a reminder in my calendar for the date I can book restaurants. Do not wait till you are onboard.

- Pack plastic rain ponchos. I put at least one in every suitcase we own. They are cheap, small and handy to carry in iffy weather. I've also used them to cover my suitcase on occasion. It's no fun storing a wet suitcase.

- Have fun!!!!

We’ve only been on one O cruise (Baltic) but it was fantastic, on Nautica. This summer, going on the NYC-NYC cruise (NE, Halifax, Bermuda) on Insignia. A little worried about what to do on the three sea days, but as there are six of us, I’m sure we’ll figure it out.

I concur with the positive comments about the ice cream in Terrace Cafe...specifically the salted caramel (or just the caramel sauce on vanilla). The dining room is great for a leisurely, cooked to order breakfast and has great and interesting choices for all meals.

The library is a great place to sit and read...good variety of books or just with your eReader.

We brought wine and beer on board on the first cruise and a large group with a winery brought cases and cases of wine...and when we made friends with some of them in the laundry room, they gave us a few bottles! There is not a problem bringing wine on board for your private use.

We’re in a smaller cabin this time instead of Penthouse, but both have small bathrooms so the suggestion to bring a hanging bag is a great one.

We experienced that at least twice, when waiting for a table in the main dining room, being asked if we’d like to eat in Polo or Toscana. Frankly, the food was good everywhere, including the sandwiches and milk shakes at Waves.

What there isn’t—great entertainment, it’s mostly blah. But, that’s not what we cruise for, we like the laid back atmosphere with good old fashioned service.

You ARE using the little shelves by the mirror in the bathroom for storage, right? I find them adequate, although I realize I may not take as much stuff as many people - and seldom take more than 2 week cruises.