Please Help an Old Lady Use Uber

packedandready

Dh and I will be flying into fll, staying overnight in Miami and sail from Miami and we'd like to use uber (first timers...uber, not cruising). To be honest, I'm a little nervous and have a few questions.

1. Should we tip the driver and if so, how much? I've had conflicting advice about this.

2. I downloaded the uber app about a year ago and linked it with paypay. Haven't donw anything with it since. Do I need to check anything to make sure everything is right?

3. We'll be using it from fll to Holiday Inn Port of Miami, Holiday Inn to the cruise port and then the cruise port back to fll. ANY information/tips is appreciated. I'm ASSUMING I wait till we get our luggage to call from fll. Should I preschedule for Holiday Inn to port since it's going to be a busy time? Any problems getting a car from the port back to the airport?

See...I do need help..................:o

Good morning,

Long time Uber user here as well as long time in the technology business. [emoji4]

1) I believe that Uber now has a tipping feature that will appear at the end of the ride on the Uber app. You can also tip the driver in cash.

2) You can use a credit card also with Uber as well as PayPal and a few other sources. Go to Payments in the Menu and add them there.

3) Definitely wait for your luggage before calling for your Uber. In most airports, you’ll have to go to a specific pick-up point.

Finally, if you’ve never used Uber before, get a promo code from an existing Uber rider to get a $15 discount on your first ride. The person you received the code from also gets $15 off.

If you need a code, use mine: 6y3g9

Happy sailing!

Neal in Cincinnati.

Good morning,

Long time Uber user here as well as long time in the technology business. [emoji4]

1) I believe that Uber now has a tipping feature that will appear at the end of the ride on the Uber app. You can also tip the driver in cash.

2) You can use a credit card also with Uber as well as PayPal and a few other sources. Go to Payments in the Menu and add them there.

3) Definitely wait for your luggage before calling for your Uber. In most airports, you’ll have to go to a specific pick-up point.

Finally, if you’ve never used Uber before, get a promo code from an existing Uber rider to get a $15 discount on your first ride. The person you received the code from also gets $15 off.

If you need a code, use mine: 6y3g9

Happy sailing!

Neal in Cincinnati.

Thanks for the rundown. Will the code be good for our trip 3-31 or if someone else sees it can it be used and then not valid?

I found an app called ride.guru which lists all the ways I can get from my hotel to Port Everglades. Has anyone used this? If I go with Uber, do I have to download their app first, also can you pay in cash or does it have to be by credit card.

TIA from another old lady arriving from UK via Spain. Spain doesn't have Uber!!!!

We used Uber XL to Port Everglades on 2/18/18 approx. 20 miles and it cost $48. Upon return of cruise on 2/25, was going to Uber, but when put in info, it told me Surge Pricing was 2.2 times higher and that it would cost $109. We did not Uber, we stood in line for a taxi which cost $44.

I found an app called ride.guru which lists all the ways I can get from my hotel to Port Everglades. Has anyone used this? If I go with Uber, do I have to download their app first, also can you pay in cash or does it have to be by credit card.

TIA from another old lady arriving from UK via Spain. Spain doesn't have Uber!!!!

Never heard of ride guru. :confused:

For Uber or Lyft you do need to download and set up the apps on your smart phone - the fare is credit card or pay-pal only. You can tip in cash or add it to your fare in the app.

If this helps you owe me a pint - San Miguel will be fine! :D

Never heard of ride guru. :confused:

For Uber or Lyft you do need to download and set up the apps on your smart phone - the fare is credit card or pay-pal only. You can tip in cash or add it to your fare in the app.

If this helps you owe me a pint - San Miguel will be fine! :D

Thanks JohninDC!! I've only got Mahou in my fridge, will that do!!! Is it likely that our hotel will call us a cab for when we need one?

Thanks for the rundown. Will the code be good for our trip 3-31 or if someone else sees it can it be used and then not valid?

That promo code does not expire and can be used by any first time Uber rider. It only works on your first ride.

Enjoy,

Neal from Cincinnati.

Thanks JohninDC!! I've only got Mahou in my fridge, will that do!!! Is it likely that our hotel will call us a cab for when we need one?

The hotel front desk will call a cab for you - they know who is reliable.

Mahou will be fine! Actually any beer that is cold and not Tusker Lager (Kenya - don't ask) will be fine. ;)