Columbia/ snake river cruise

LEAFEATER

Hi, Leafeater, have done the Columbia from Spokane/Lewiston to Astoria. Fantastic experience -- and plenty to see and do. If you liked Viking in Europe you'll enjoy this, too.

I'm heading out (again!) this weekend, doing the same direction, from Lewiston (which is about a 2 hour bus ride from Spokane through the most unexpectedly gorgeous country). Happy to answer any questions. One interesting thing about the route from east to west is how different the terrain is. It's a lot like a Douro River cruise in Portugal. When you start at the Snake/Columbia in Lewiston, it's very barren and desert-like. As you go west, it gets more lush every day (and then you go through great wine and food farming country), until you end up in misty Astoria. Lovely!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Chief Content Strategist

Cruise Critic

I was wondering if the fires this summer had impacted any of the Snake/Columbia river cruise?

Has anyone done the Snake River/Columbia river cruise since the fires there this summer? We were wondering how badly damaged the scenery was. We are scheduled on the 9/10/18 Clarkston to Vancouver.

We leave 10/22 (less than 2 weeks!) for our Columbia River cruise, so I'll let you know. I'm sure we'll see damage at least around the Multnomah Falls area, as that area was heavily impacted. In fact, I'm pretty sure our optional excursion to the Falls will be cancelled due to road closures :(

We leave 10/22 (less than 2 weeks!) for our Columbia River cruise, so I'll let you know. I'm sure we'll see damage at least around the Multnomah Falls area, as that area was heavily impacted. In fact, I'm pretty sure our optional excursion to the Falls will be cancelled due to road closures :(

Likewise, hope your cruise is much better than you're possibly expecting. Will also look forward to your review.

Have a safe journey. :)

I plan to post a detailed review, and will let you know when I submit it. One thing I've been disappointed in is finding info from past cruisers, so I hope to 'pay it forward'. We are very excited, counting the days!!

• 1 month later...
We would love to do a September sailing --maybe in 2018.

A few questions however: where is the nearest airport to Clarkston? Does the company provide a transfer to the boat?

Are there tables for two in the dining room?

Thanks

We did this trip in September. You fly into Spokane WA and stay at the Davenport Hotel. Bus takes you to Clarkston to board the boat. It is about a 2 hr. bus trip. If you arrive in Spokane early enough, you can do the city tour which is good.

There are tables for two in the main dining room and River Grille (smaller more casual dining and lobster on menu every night. Also where you can eat breakfast and lunch

The ride between Spokane and Clarkston is unbelievably beautiful, through the beautiful valley of the Palouse! A nice bonus.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Chief Content Strategist

Cruise Critic

We did this trip in September. You fly into Spokane WA and stay at the Davenport Hotel. Bus takes you to Clarkston to board the boat. It is about a 2 hr. bus trip. If you arrive in Spokane early enough, you can do the city tour which is good.

There are tables for two in the main dining room and River Grille (smaller more casual dining and lobster on menu every night. Also where you can eat breakfast and lunch

• 2 weeks later...
Wanted to go on this cruise in 2018 until I read "Fun on American Empress... by Micoman, currently right below this posting. Will not be booking now. :(

Do not let this change your plans. We went a full month after Micoman, and had no problems. Salmon season was over by then, I imagine the date he went was the height of salmon season. The fire was beyond anyone's control - we were unable to visit Multnomah Falls also due to road closures, but you won't have any problem next year. Go and have a great time!