All Things Avalon

FuelScience

I just spoke to Avalon because I have the Movenpick Hotel booked through Avalon as well as an excursion scheduled for 1:00 on embarkation day next week. The agent told me that Avalon would have someone at the hotel to arrange for my luggage transfer to the boat. That’s the way it happened on my last Avalon cruise, but I just wanted to verify, as I got the same message you did about meeting on the boat.

We just arrived home from Impression and had a 1:00 excursion booked for embarkation day as well. We took an Uber, but the folks that had pre-booked hotels through Avalon came to the boat on a bus from the hotel. The ship's crew grabbed all the bags and took them to the cabins.

The ship was lovely, and the crew was fantastic. I really liked the way the beds were set up. They're Select Comfort beds, and there are four settings: Extra Firm (firm with no topper) Firm (firm with memory foam topper - the bed was set to this) Soft (soft with no topper) and Extra soft (soft with topper). It was great. The card said to just call if you wanted the setting changed.

The hairdryer in the cabin was the best I've ever seen on a ship or in a hotel. Three speeds and three temperatures as well as a 'cold shot' button.

There were two USB ports at one bedside table and an electrical outlet (European) at the other.

There was a card to hang on the door for a Continental room service breakfast, but we never used it. I think there is a fee, but it didn't say on the card what it was.

We sent laundry out the first day and it came back the next perfectly folded. I'm always hesitant to send laundry out on a ship because they generally wash everything in hot and it comes back faded, if not shrunken. All our stuff came out looking better than it went in.

We are on Imagery II May 12. We are taking the tour on embarkation day, and when I contacted them, they told me that there would be a meeting place set up (I'm assuming it's going to be in the hotel that is booked for those who will be doing Avalon's pre-cruise experience) and that we were to bring our luggage there and they would transfer it to the ship. I looked up the berthing for the ship for our cruise, and the closest hotel that Avalon uses is the Movenpick, so I'm figuring we will be meeting up there.

Avalon use to do meeting points for all their cruises but just made the change this year to direct embarkation except for cruises that are farther from the airport. Ex. Basel & Weisbaden.. those will meet up at the airport hotel typically and transfer to the ship. With the change, your dox will come with your possible docking locations and at 24 hrs prior to embarkation your docking location will be set and published online for you or your travel agent to see here https://www.avalonwaterways.com/ports.aspx

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Avalon use to do meeting points for all their cruises but just made the change this year to direct embarkation except for cruises that are farther from the airport. Ex. Basel & Weisbaden.. those will meet up at the airport hotel typically and transfer to the ship. With the change, your dox will come with your possible docking locations and at 24 hrs prior to embarkation your docking location will be set and published online for you or your travel agent to see here https://www.avalonwaterways.com/ports.aspx

hi we are on grand france south bound on 2 nd june this year . we have booked 2 night in paris before cruise ourselves ,will avalon pick bags up from our hotel ?? with this new arrangement not sure what will happen ??

i suppose we will be notified when berth is confirmed ?

Hi. I boarded the Vista yesterday in Amsterdam after two days at the Movenpick booked through Avalon. Others on my cruise were booked at the Movenpick independently, and Avalon met all of us in the lobby and transferred us and our luggage to the boat around 10:30 AM. We had lunch on board and then went on to our pre-booked excursion at 1:00 PM.

Avalon did send me the docking information ( twice) too, but I think they probably sent the form letter to everyone, not knowing where people were staying or when they would be arriving in Amsterdam. When I checked in to the hotel, I was told that Avalon would be there around 10AM on embarkation morning.

You should probably confirm that Avalon is using the same hotel where you are staying.

I searched the thread and didn't see this topic: bringing a CPAP machine on the river boat and pre- and post cruise hotels booked through Avalon. I asked my TA to find out if I'd be supplied with distilled water and an extension cord (if needed) to plug in the machine. The only info I got back, from Avalon through the TA, was that I was responsible for having an electric converter, and that they would supply distilled water on board. I'm still concerned about the hotels that are booked as part of our package. Anyone able to tell me what they've experienced?

We will be on the Impression Blue Danube Discovery in June 2018. Thanks.

I searched the thread and didn't see this topic: bringing a CPAP machine on the river boat and pre- and post cruise hotels booked through Avalon. I asked my TA to find out if I'd be supplied with distilled water and an extension cord (if needed) to plug in the machine. The only info I got back, from Avalon through the TA, was that I was responsible for having an electric converter, and that they would supply distilled water on board. I'm still concerned about the hotels that are booked as part of our package. Anyone able to tell me what they've experienced?

We will be on the Impression Blue Danube Discovery in June 2018. Thanks.

My partner brings his own extension cord. Has never had a problem using it or getting thru security.

Hello, I'm not so sure if I'm in the right place to post questions about our upcoming Avalon river cruise in May (A Taste of the Danube) since I can't seem to find another place specific for Avalon.

Our question is - The itinerary includes guided city tour in both Budapest and Vienna. Their itinerary does not tell you how long this tour will last and exactly what all the places we will visit. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Budapest sightseeing is from 8:30 to 11:30 am and includes heroes square, the hilltop castle complex with Mathias church and several bridges... it gives a little run through in the itinerary but not many details. In Vienna sightseeing is from 8:15 to 11am and includes the hofburg imperial palace, Vienna boys for choir, Vienna opera house and st Stephen's cathedral. Again kinda vague on inclusions but hope that helps!

"Budapest sightseeing is from 8:30 to 11:30 am and includes heroes square, the hilltop castle complex with Mathias church and several bridges... it gives a little run through in the itinerary but not many details. In Vienna sightseeing is from 8:15 to 11am and includes the hofburg imperial palace, Vienna boys for choir, Vienna opera house and st Stephen's cathedral. Again kinda vague on inclusions but hope that helps!"

When you say the tour "includes" these sites, am I correct that they simply drive by the places that you mention? Or do they stop and take you inside? (I ask because we're returning to Vienna after the cruise, and I'm trying to plan what we should do upon our return, and it will be helpful to have a sense of what we will already have done during the Vienna port call.)

"Budapest sightseeing is from 8:30 to 11:30 am and includes heroes square, the hilltop castle complex with Mathias church and several bridges... it gives a little run through in the itinerary but not many details. In Vienna sightseeing is from 8:15 to 11am and includes the hofburg imperial palace, Vienna boys for choir, Vienna opera house and st Stephen's cathedral. Again kinda vague on inclusions but hope that helps!"

When you say the tour "includes" these sites, am I correct that they simply drive by the places that you mention? Or do they stop and take you inside? (I ask because we're returning to Vienna after the cruise, and I'm trying to plan what we should do upon our return, and it will be helpful to have a sense of what we will already have done during the Vienna port call.)

That's correct jbeuks ... it's like an drive/walk through. Not a great deal of time spent at any of these sights.

Hope that helps!

I have been in Budapest twice on river cruises and Vienna more times than that (not Avalon but info is likely to apply). The city tour was by bus with walk around stops at Mathais Church/ Fisherman's Bastion (hint: there are very nice free bathrooms in the Hilton, just act like you belong there) and Hero's Square - maybe 20 minutes or so at those 2 places, rest of the time was on the bus. Other than the Buda Castle which you will not have time to do in the limited time on your included tour, most of the remaining sites to see are on the flat easily walkable Pest side. St. Stephens Basilica and the Parliament will likely be with a 10 minute stroll of your boat, and the Main Market not much further.

In Vienna boats dock mostly near the Vorgartenstrasse metro station (there is a second overflow dock that is not as convenient) 4 stops from Cathedral. Depending on the boat schedule you will have the option to stay in town, do lunch on your own and/or go to Schonbrunn Palace (6 metro stops from downtown in the opposite direct from the boat).

ENJOY Thom

We just returned from the 15 day Amsterdam to Budapest on Avalon Impression. It was GREAT! The entire staff went over board to make our trip fantastic. I can't say enough about their professionalism. The boat was awesome and there was always someone cleaning something! The food was good, though, being a "meat and potatoes" girl, I didn't recognize some things but I tried a lot of new foods. When I didn't feel like being that adventurous, they always have chicken and steak available. The dinner does take a while (usually 7-9) but that's half the fun. We met some very interesting people and enjoyed spending that time with them. Breakfast and lunch is a buffet and they did a grill lunch on the sky deck 2 days. Most of the excursions were great. I would avoid the "Gold and Glamour" tour in Budapest. We arrived in Amsterdam at the perfect time for the tulips. Having extra days in Amsterdam and Budapest worked very well for us. I recommend having Avalon take care of the transport to/from airports and hotels. Everything was handled seamlessly.

Hello, I'm not so sure if I'm in the right place to post questions about our upcoming Avalon river cruise in May (A Taste of the Danube) since I can't seem to find another place specific for Avalon.

Our question is - The itinerary includes guided city tour in both Budapest and Vienna. Their itinerary does not tell you how long this tour will last and exactly what all the places we will visit. Does anyone know? Thanks!

We just returned from the 15 day Amsterdam to Budapest on the Impression. In Budapest, we took the guided city tour and it last from 8:30 - 11:30. It mostly consisted on a bus tour of the city with about 20 minutes to walk around Fisherman's Bastion. There was an alternative walking tour which covered the area around where the boat was docked. By the way, in the afternoon, we did the Gold and Glamour tour -- avoid this!! It was not worth the money. I was glad we had an extra day in Budapest to go back to some of the things we drove by in the bus. In Vienna, we took a bus close the the palace then the guide took us through the palace grounds and through the shopping district. We didn't take the bus back but decided to explore on our own in the afternoon. The evening concert was awesome. I'm not sure what other places you will be visiting but feel free to send me an email with specific questions. sprmom1229@att.net

Thanks to txsprmom and Texas Tom for your recent posts about the scope of the "included" tours in Budapest and Vienna, and the info about where the boats will likely dock. They're most helpful in planning what we want to do independently.

Hi. I boarded the Vista yesterday in Amsterdam after two days at the Movenpick booked through Avalon. Others on my cruise were booked at the Movenpick independently, and Avalon met all of us in the lobby and transferred us and our luggage to the boat around 10:30 AM. We had lunch on board and then went on to our pre-booked excursion at 1:00 PM.

Avalon did send me the docking information ( twice) too, but I think they probably sent the form letter to everyone, not knowing where people were staying or when they would be arriving in Amsterdam. When I checked in to the hotel, I was told that Avalon would be there around 10AM on embarkation morning.

You should probably confirm that Avalon is using the same hotel where you are staying.

Hi we booked 2 days on our own in paris and wondering what time to board for tapestry 2 grand France south bound 2 nd june 2018 .I see we get notified though the "my avalon site " where the ship will be berthed but havent been told what is the earliest you can drop your bags off does anyone know ??

Hi we booked 2 days on our own in paris and wondering what time to board for tapestry 2 grand France south bound 2 nd june 2018 .I see we get notified though the "my avalon site " where the ship will be berthed but havent been told what is the earliest you can drop your bags off does anyone know ??

When we did the Seine with Avalon last September, everyone waited at a hotel close to the Eiffel Tower as we could not board until after 3 in the afternoon. I suspect the same will happen with you. Actually quite civilized - they store your luggage, have pastries and beverages in the room - and then you can take off and do some more site seeing until your transfer time.

Fran

Kiwixmas, we just got off of our Rhine cruise. From what I was given to understand, they will let you board anytime , but your room won't be ready until 3:00ish. They made a big deal about our housekeeping manager setting a record by having all the rooms ready early. We arrived at lunchtime, enjoyed a light lunch in the lounge (and a beer), before heading out for our first tour.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app