All Things Avalon

FuelScience

Avalon Amateur

We are getting ready to book an Avalon Danube cruise for 2019. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered here!

#1. Price Reductions: If the price of our cabin goes down can we get the lower rate prior to final payment?

#2. Cabin Upgrade: If a higher category cabin becomes available at a price we are willing to pay, can we change cabins for the difference?

#3. Perks: We book our ocean cruises thru the big box warehouse and get a generous cash card from them. What might we expect from a river cruse travel agent?

#4. BYOB: Are we permitted to bring wine or other liquor aboard?

#5. Travel Agents: When I requested a brochure from Avalon, I was contacted via email by a travel agent whom I know nothing about since I marked that we were not currently with a TA. She's been helpful, but I'm not sure we're getting the best deal from her. Are we better off booking direct with Avalon? Why would Avalon refer me to her?

That's all I can think of for now, thanks!

I’ll try to answer.

1. It depends - there are not as many price reductions on river cruises as with ocean cruises. I have been successful getting a price reduction but my travel agent does a lot of business with the Avalon family of businesses.

2. There are significantly less cabins on a river cruise so there may not be any options for an upgrade.

3. I can’t help with this.

4. You can bring alcohol on board to drink in your cabin. There may be a corkage fee to drink it elsewhere on board.

5. I have a travel agent I’ve used for years so I can’t comment.

Hope this helps.

Avalon Amateur

We are getting ready to book an Avalon Danube cruise for 2019. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered here!

#1. Price Reductions: If the price of our cabin goes down can we get the lower rate prior to final payment?

We were able to get the specials throughout the year after we had put down our initial deposit... I had our TA confirm, and then just to make sure, I added a bit onto our payment so I would get an invoice from Avalon showing the discount.

#2. Cabin Upgrade: If a higher category cabin becomes available at a price we are willing to pay, can we change cabins for the difference? Most cruises get sold out, so rarely are there available cabins. You would be best to talk to your TA about checking on this.

#3. Perks: We book our ocean cruises thru the big box warehouse and get a generous cash card from them. What might we expect from a river cruse travel agent? Some big box warehouses will give (in Canada) either credit to their store, or OBC. Once again, it's best to check online with what they offer, then consult your TA as they may well match it. Ours did, but instead of OBC, she applied it to our payment...:)

#4. BYOB: Are we permitted to bring wine or other liquor aboard? Yes, however as YoungDubFan says, there is probably a corkage fee to drink onboard. We did have a bottle opener in our room. If you are doing this, make sure to ask them to clean out the fridge in your room so you can store your stuff in there.

#5. Travel Agents: When I requested a brochure from Avalon, I was contacted via email by a travel agent whom I know nothing about since I marked that we were not currently with a TA. She's been helpful, but I'm not sure we're getting the best deal from her. Are we better off booking direct with Avalon? Why would Avalon refer me to her? When I went looking to book our cruise, we had never used a travel agent. I looked to see what ones were close to me that Avalon recommended and contacted her. If you have someone you use regularly and find helpful, they should be able to handle booking with Avalon. Our TA often called Avalon with me sitting there to ask questions, and pricing doesn't change, it's only the "perks" a TA or box store could provide that will give the better deal. We had mentioned when we booked that we may be interested in Avalon handling our air, but had no commitment with them. When I found prices starting to drop, I had our TA check her sources, then she checked Avalon. Even though we did our own pre-cruise, and a small post-cruise, Avalon came out on top, and no deviation fee for not going through their standard airports for the cruise.

That's all I can think of for now, thanks!

If you have never sailed with Avalon, I'm sure you will love it. We chose a room on the 2nd level, which was nice as we could hang out and watch the swans & birds on the river. All the cabins on the 2nd & 3rd level (except for the suites) are the same, and we were towards the back of the ship but there was no extra noise or vibrations. You aren't in your cabins much, as there is a lot going on and the best views are where you can see both sides of the river. I loved the casual atmosphere on board, nothing fancy or fussy....if you didn't like what you ordered for dinner, they would bring something else...or if you did like it, they would bring you 2nds! Unfortunately, it wasn't until the Thursday of our cruise I figured out that asking for cranberry juice in the morning brought it out....it was out on the first day, but then they changed up their juices.

Thanks Avalon Afficianados!

I so appreciate all your advice thus far! One question to Daisi- the big box travel website only indicates Uniworld and Viking can be booked thru them here in the USA- is it worth it to call about Avalon?

So far I am happy with the communication from the Avoya-affiliated rep who contacted me via my Avalon inquiry, but I've also contacted a local agent that a friend of mine booked an Avalon cruise with for later this year.

Will keep you posted & again, thanks!

Hi. I would assume that the big box websites get some sort of discount in order to promote the tours they sell. I would say it wouldn't hurt to check about Avalon, but you may do better with a TA. Another thing to check out if you do go through a TA, if there are 'seminars" about cruising going on from other travel agencies, they will often give discounts....if you are happy with your TA, ask if they can meet the discount. The nice thing about having a local TA is if anything comes up last minute, it's an easy fix...if you are only dealing online, you may have problems. My cousin encountered that when they went south one year, her partner's ticket came in with the wrong name. It took them a couple of tense days to get it fixed, whereas the couple who were travelling with them used a local TA and had the same problem...theirs was fixed the next day.

Hi. I would assume that the big box websites get some sort of discount in order to promote the tours they sell. I would say it wouldn't hurt to check about Avalon, but you may do better with a TA. Another thing to check out if you do go through a TA, if there are 'seminars" about cruising going on from other travel agencies, they will often give discounts....if you are happy with your TA, ask if they can meet the discount. The nice thing about having a local TA is if anything comes up last minute, it's an easy fix...if you are only dealing online, you may have problems. My cousin encountered that when they went south one year, her partner's ticket came in with the wrong name. It took them a couple of tense days to get it fixed, whereas the couple who were travelling with them used a local TA and had the same problem...theirs was fixed the next day.

I booked with Avalon directly talking to the same agent each time.She net all my needs and I got a discounted fare as well as cheap airfare.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Super excited as we have just booked our first river cruise and chose Avalon. It was a hard decision to make on both what company we wanted to sail and what itinerary. We settled on Avalon Imagery II Central European Experience from Prague to Remich on October 1, 2019. Deposit is paid and now planning begins. I don't see a lot about this itinerary from people though. Is it not a popular itinerary? I chose it because we were looking for scenery, castles and history as well as getting to start in Prague which I hear is beautiful. Looking for tips about this itinerary as well as all things Avalon. I have read 17 pages in this thread so far and will continue to do so. Also looking to see if anyone is doing this sailing? Always looking for people to meet! So far, from what I can tell, the ship has 38 pax booked which is pretty good since it is still a year and a half away.

I searched the thread and didn't see this topic: bringing a CPAP machine on the river boat and pre- and post cruise hotels booked through Avalon. I asked my TA to find out if I'd be supplied with distilled water and an extension cord (if needed) to plug in the machine. The only info I got back, from Avalon through the TA, was that I was responsible for having an electric converter, and that they would supply distilled water on board. I'm still concerned about the hotels that are booked as part of our package. Anyone able to tell me what they've experienced?

We will be on the Impression Blue Danube Discovery in June 2018. Thanks.

I have used a CPAP for 10 + years. When I travel I have found that using bottled water is fine and do not need specific distilled. I do usually keep an extension cord in my bag. Also on Avalon I used a converter just to be sure.

I've also traveled with a C-PAP for almost 10 years. I learned very early to carry my own extension cord and a three-way plug, so I won't be caught out if there isn't an outlet immediately at bedside or there are too many devices competing for too few outlets. Before first taking the machine abroad, I checked the owner's manual carefully and determined that it's dual voltage, so I no longer worry about a power transformer for the C-PAP. But of course a plug converter is still needed almost anywhere outside the U.S. Re distilled water, I simply use tap water when I'm in a hotel, whether in the U.S. or abroad, or on a cruise, and I've never had any problem doing so. I figure the water doesn't pass through any moving part of the machine, and breathing in the vapor won't hurt me, at least over the short period of time that I'm traveling. For what it's worth ....

If you booked flights through Avalon for your cruise, how did you feel about them choosing your seats for you? I'm not sure I like that.

It worked for us on fall flights

You could probably call the airline or go on line and change your seats.

We just got back from a trip to Africa that included several internal slights which were controlled by the cruise line, so we had no choice of seats. They did keep the two of us together, and since all planes are non-smoking now it doesn't matter too much if you are at the back [the restrooms are handy, for one benefit :)]

Thanks all. I am most worried about the flights from Honolulu to Hanoi and from Bangkok to Honolulu. I called Avalon and they said that they send the info to the airline and "let the chips fall where they may"....yes, those were her exact words. We are flying business class and my husband wants very specific seats. It's a bit of a savings to go through them...but not worth it to me to hassle with all the changing around.

If you booked flights through Avalon for your cruise, how did you feel about them choosing your seats for you? I'm not sure I like that.

We had no problem booking our seats, we wanted window seats & to be together...Avalon sent us the flight info the day we booked, and I chose our seats through KLM that day. We had to pay KLM for selecting seats, but nothing to Avalon for deviation fee to arrive & depart from Amsterdam or any other charges. They beat both my checking online for KLM & our TA's pricing. We had very limited choices here, and I refused to do Air Canada...they like to downgrade to Rouge with no notice.

We had no problem booking our seats, we wanted window seats & to be together...Avalon sent us the flight info the day we booked, and I chose our seats through KLM that day. We had to pay KLM for selecting seats, but nothing to Avalon for deviation fee to arrive & depart from Amsterdam or any other charges. They beat both my checking online for KLM & our TA's pricing. We had very limited choices here, and I refused to do Air Canada...they like to downgrade to Rouge with no notice.

Thank you Daisi. I would feel better with that. As long as I can move around I'll be ok. We both want window seats on the flights where we will be sleeping. I hate being exposed to the isle, makes it hard for me to relax and he is a big guy (bodybuilder big) and hates the isle because he gets bumped. We are looking at Japan AL and they have Skysuites that allow you window seats without climbing over the isle seat.

We are seriously considering the Avalon Romantic Rhine river cruise next summer & could use some advice. Given this is only an 8-day cruise from Basel to Amsterdam, does it make sense to spend an extra $1K/person to have the Panorama Suite (Cat. A, B, P) with balcony instead of the Deluxe Stateroom (Cat. D, E)? The rooms are roughly the same size & we're not sure there will be enough on-water awake time to justify the cost of a balcony. Thanks in advance.

We are seriously considering the Avalon Romantic Rhine river cruise next summer & could use some advice. Given this is only an 8-day cruise from Basel to Amsterdam, does it make sense to spend an extra $1K/person to have the Panorama Suite (Cat. A, B, P) with balcony instead of the Deluxe Stateroom (Cat. D, E)? The rooms are roughly the same size & we're not sure there will be enough on-water awake time to justify the cost of a balcony. Thanks in advance.

We loved having one, because we enjoy sitting in our room and relaxing with the view. Having your room open to the sights going by was really nice. We had some daytime and evening sailing so we got a lot of use out of our room/balcony.

I'll second that. We thought for our first cruise, let's go for it and get the Panorama suite. We chose a cabin in Cat B that was right next door to Cat A, and there was no noise or vibration. It was so nice opening the window and looking out while we were getting ready in the room or waiting for time to go for breakfast/dinner/lunch or tour. We were actually talking today, and if we are ever lucky enough to go on another cruise we will be booking the Cat B again. Once you get where the swans are, we found that opening the window brought them over to check things out....and let us get some great pics! AF1QipPTkeiTdg8AsidgZCLLcNyQrkt6TjlzjvoGiNKb

AF1QipPTkeiTdg8AsidgZCLLcNyQrkt6TjlzjvoGiNKb

I’ve done both and for me personally I’d rather have the $2,000 cash to spend on pre or post cruise hotels, meals and excursions. For us, we really don’t spend much time in the cabin. We prefer to be on deck.

It really all boils down to personal preference. We really enjoy our quiet time but we also like to socialize. When we did our first cruise, I went all out in planning and saved for 2 years to do it up. I don't regret a single choice on that trip, including the Royal Suite on the Artistry II and a surprise special dinner at Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower. All about budget and preferences :)

Booked-

Looking forward to the Legendary Danube in fall 2019 on the Illumination. Thanks for advice from previous posters.

I am sitting in my stateroom on the Illumination right now. We are tied up in Linz, Austria. You are going to love your trip!!

In the summer it might be worth it, but for our November '19 Legendary Danube we are in E on the "Swan Deck"- so-called because you can see swans gliding by your high windows. Reading reviews, it seems to me that E's may have advantages over D's because they are further forward of the engines.

But those Panorama suites sure do appeal! OTOH so does having $2k in the pocket.