Shipboard Credit

cflutist

We just paid off our first Silversea cruise to Antarctica on the Cloud. On the confirmation statement, I noticed a $200 shipboard credit.

Since gratuities and alcohol (we don't drink much anyway) are included, and we aren't interested in spa treatments, how can we spend that?

What are the laundry charges?

Are there shore excursions that are not by zodiac (that are included)?

Seriously, we don't need to add more to our luggage from the boutiques since we will be leaving with a parka, backpack, and water bottle courtesy of Silversea cruises.

We normally cruise in Penthouse/Owner's suites on Princess where they do all of our laundry for us as a perk.

So, we travel light with just a carry-on and a small backpack.

This is our first Silversea cruise so we are not familiar with what happens on board. :confused:

Antarctica is a COLD weather place requiring insulated boots (already bought them), thermal underwear, etc. so we will have to check luggage for the first time.

So other than boutiques, what else can one spend shipboard credit on?

The ship deck plans show a self-service laundry on Deck 4.

Is laundry service also available?

Are the prices reasonable?

We cruised on the Royal Clipper over Christmas, and all I bought in their boutique was a $5 lanyard, lol. ;p

Thanks in advance for any advice for a Silversea newbie.

Since gratuities and alcohol (we don't drink much anyway) are included, and we aren't interested in spa treatments, how can we spend that?

Seriously, we don't need to add more to our luggage from the boutiques since we will be leaving with a parka, backpack, and water bottle courtesy of Silversea cruises.
Well, you asked a general question and provided a couple of restrictions (spa and alcohol), and since executions are included in your fare, I did my best to offer an alternative suggestion without knowing you don't want to shop and add to your luggage.

Since you don't drink much, seems like you probably wouldn't enjoy using it for Connoisseur wine list. Lots of great wines on the list though that'll eat that $200 right up.

I have no idea if you can use it for SS's laundry service, but I know you can't for the self service machines. Prices on SS are the same as any first class hotel.

My only other suggestion is donate it to the Crew Fund if they will let you. What a nice gesture that would be! Lastly, you may also be able to donate it to SS's favorite charity of the owner's wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people use OBC for the spa (we don't either, so we're in the same boat as you are).

You can use it for wine that's not included; there is a separate connoisseur's list. You can even buy a bottle to take home. On a few occasions we've done that, to essentially try a bottle for free that we wouldn't dream of spending real $ for. I have a bottle of 1997 Chateau d'Yquem at home from our last cruise that was purchased entirely with OBC.

We did Antarctica in 2009 and no excursions were extra. All were by Zodiac; the only place we docked pierside was Ushuaia. The Cloud trips may be different.

Laundry isn't exorbitant but I don't have a price list handy. I have used OBC for laundry service before. The self-serve machines on other SS ships are free, BTW.

You can spend OBC in the boutique but who knows what that will be like on Cloud. We've sometimes used the last of our OBC there.

Will Cloud have Le Champagne in its expedition ship incarnation? The info on SS' website says that it will. So you can spend your OBC for a meal there.

The expedition voyages we've been on have made a DVD available for purchase. We've used our OBC to buy it.

These suggestions come to mind off the top of my head.

Edited: I started this post a few hours ago before I saw your responses to the earlier suggestions. Sorry if the repeat suggestion about wine and the boutiques is redundant.

Will Cloud have Le Champagne in its expedition ship incarnation? The info on SS' website says that it will. So you can spend your OBC for a meal there.

The expedition voyages we've been on have made a DVD available for purchase. We've used our OBC to buy it.

Bravo JP! I've never seen those available on the mainline cruises, so great catch on the DVD and of course, being able to dine in Le Champagne.

That's right...internet. We've used OBC to buy the unlimited package a couple of times. Pricing plans may be different now.
Won't the internet on the Cloud in Antarctica be as bad as the Arctic? I remember when were in the Arctic it was virtually impossible to maintain a connection.

• 5 months later...

I'm also new to Silversea, having booked and paid in full for a Silver Spirit TA next September, direct with Silversea (so no agent's commission involved) and before I came across this thread, had assumed that OBC was a reward for frequent cruisers but the OP states that this is their first voyage with Silversea. So what do you have to do to get OBC?

I'm also new to Silversea, having booked and paid in full for a Silver Spirit TA next September, direct with Silversea (so no agent's commission involved) and before I came across this thread, had assumed that OBC was a reward for frequent cruisers but the OP states that this is their first voyage with Silversea. So what do you have to do to get OBC?

Sometime Silversea has a promotion which includes some OBC whether you book directly with them or thought an agent. Other times if your agent belongs to a consortium there might be a OBC or sometimes it comes directly from your agent. And still sometimes there is no OBC.

Keith

Twigalina, suggest you call the Silversea cruise representative (u booked direct with) back now and ask if you can get any SBC for the fall Spirit 2018 crossing. No harm is asking.

Also, please join our Spirit fall 2018 crossing (Njbelle (Janice & Eric), Lchoi98 (Lawrence and Laura) and Ida and I are now registered meaning Silversea will host (most likely held our first the second day of our voyage) a cruise critic/silversea meet & mingle.

Also, spinnaker2 (Candy & Larry) are booked on this cruise. Am hoping EnglishUSA (David) will book this fall crossing too.

These SS/CC meet & mingles are a nice way to meet your fellow Silversea cruise critics early on during your voyage.

Believe you will really enjoy your first Silversea Spirit voyage. The international hostess (s) will host evening cocktail hours for all singles and also invite many of the solo passengers to dine (breakfast, lunch, dinner).

Pls see this link to register for the Silversea meet & mingle:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcall/cruiselinel2.cfm?cruiselineid=35