CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Folks have reported being very happy with the Ramada and Crowne Plaza. No one has reported on the Holiday Inn, which is the only option for 5 people in a room.

I personally have used the Ramada and was very satisfied with it. It's very close to NJ Turnpike exit 14 in a more isolated area north of the airport. Coming from exit 14 you need to be on I78 west in the local lanes to be able to get off at Frontage Road, which is the first exit. The Crowne Plaza is on routes 1&9, which is a major truck route.

Is this the Airport Ramada? I have tons of Wyndham points I would like to use however, the only Ramada I found had less than good reviews. Any help is appreciated. We are sailing 7/15 on the Summit and are looking to come down from the Boston area the day before.

Is this the Airport Ramada? I have tons of Wyndham points I would like to use however, the only Ramada I found had less than good reviews. Any help is appreciated. We are sailing 7/15 on the Summit and are looking to come down from the Boston area the day before.

Are you parking at the port? The Ramada is the best of the Wyndham properties at Newark Airport. I have stayed there (as have many other cruisers) and it was fine. It's about a 3* hotel and is clean. It has a restaurant/bar and a cafe with many selections.

It's an airport hotel. Airline crews stay there. My feeling is that many of the bad reviews for any airport hotel come from folks who have had their travel disrupted and end up in a hotel that was not expecting their arrival.

Are you parking at the port? The Ramada is the best of the Wyndham properties at Newark Airport. I have stayed there (as have many other cruisers) and it was fine. It's about a 3* hotel and is clean. It has a restaurant/bar and a cafe with many selections.

It's an airport hotel. Airline crews stay there. My feeling is that many of the bad reviews for any airport hotel come from folks who have had their travel disrupted and end up in a hotel that was not expecting their arrival.

Yes, we are parking at the port. Thank you for the advice. I just booked two rooms using some of my Wyndham points so it worked out perfectly. About how much time is needed for the drive to the port from there?

Yes, we are parking at the port. Thank you for the advice. I just booked two rooms using some of my Wyndham points so it worked out perfectly. About how much time is needed for the drive to the port from there?

It looks like you're sailing on a Sunday. It should be 20-30 minutes to the port.

Is it better to shuttle, Lyft or Uber from the airport to the cruise port?

Could you provide more details? What exact date? Newark Airport? Two people? Are you flying in the day of the cruise? Flight arrival time? Or are you staying at an airport hotel (which one)?

Hi, I have had a quick search of the thread, it is sooo long, I am sorry if this has been asked & answered previously, we are 4 adults from the UK staying initially at the Avalon Hotel NY, we are sailing on Anthem ots on 4th October out of Cape Liberty, could you please tell me our options for getting to the port, the last time I was in NY was 2011 & I used a Limo company for 6 of us, Many thanks for your help

Hi, I have had a quick search of the thread, it is sooo long, I am sorry if this has been asked & answered previously, we are 4 adults from the UK staying initially at the Avalon Hotel NY, we are sailing on Anthem ots on 4th October out of Cape Liberty, could you please tell me our options for getting to the port, the last time I was in NY was 2011 & I used a Limo company for 6 of us, Many thanks for your help

For a car service we recommend Dial7 and Carmellimo.

For public transit you are 1 avenue from the accessible 33rd St PATH Station. PATH to Hoboken for $2.75/pp and accessible light rail to Bayonne 34th St and call an Uber/Lyft or local taxi. Details can be provided. I did this exact trip in Jan from the La Quinta on 32nd St.

We will be arriving at Newark Airport on 10/18, Thursday about 7 AM. What is the best way to get from the airport to Cape Liberty Cruise Port? We are 3 adults.

Is it better to visit NYC during the week or on the weekend. Our initial plan is to arrive at 7AM the day of the cruise and then visit the city after the cruise, which means a Sat, Sun and Mon. We want to visit the 911 center. Not sure what else to visit. Have not been to New York since the 70's. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also, one of us has difficulties walking and getting into buses, cars, etc.

Thank you

We will be arriving at Newark Airport on 10/18, Thursday about 7 AM. What is the best way to get from the airport to Cape Liberty Cruise Port? We are 3 adults.

Is it better to visit NYC during the week or on the weekend. Our initial plan is to arrive at 7AM the day of the cruise and then visit the city after the cruise, which means a Sat, Sun and Mon. We want to visit the 911 center. Not sure what else to visit. Have not been to New York since the 70's. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also, one of us has difficulties walking and getting into buses, cars, etc.

Thank you

That's an early arrival. Red eye from Seattle? You are going to want to kill a bit of time at the airport to avoid the rush hour traffic. Optimally you don't want to arrive at the port before 10-10:30, so no leaving the airport before 9:30 am. Your transportation choices are car service (we recommend Dial7 and Carmellimo), taxi, or Uber/Lyft. With 3 people you will have to pay too much and wait too long for cruiseline transfers.

Hotel prices will likely be better post cruise on a weekend. What is your hotel budget? Do you want to stay in Manhattan or would you consider Jersey City with PATH access to the World Trade Center as well as midtown at 33rd & 6th?

That's an early arrival. Red eye from Seattle? You are going to want to kill a bit of time at the airport to avoid the rush hour traffic. Optimally you don't want to arrive at the port before 10-10:30, so no leaving the airport before 9:30 am. Your transportation choices are car service (we recommend Dial7 and Carmellimo), taxi, or Uber/Lyft. With 3 people you will have to pay too much and wait too long for cruiseline transfers.

Hotel prices will likely be better post cruise on a weekend. What is your hotel budget? Do you want to stay in Manhattan or would you consider Jersey City with PATH access to the World Trade Center as well as midtown at 33rd & 6th?

Thank you Carol for your speedy response. Yes we are considering the red eye as travelling during the day very rarely will get us into the area before 5pm. We would like to keep the hotel cost down to 150.-200. per night or less. Would we have public transportation to Manhattan from hotels new Cape Liberty or Newark airport?

First cruise out of Cape Liberty. Flying in from Chicago the day before the cruise March 2019 -- from what I gather on this thread I definitely want to fly in to Newark. Do you recommend staying near the airport - we are NOT planning to go into NYC or do any sightseeing in NJ pre-cruise, just a decent, affordable place to stay with easy access to the port area in the am. There are 4 of us.

What city should I focus my hotel search - and it sounds like Uber is the best way for hotel to port transportation?

Also, most ports I do not book a return flight before 11am - same for Newark? Or is a 9:30 flight doable if we walk off the ship with our own luggage?

Thank you Carol for your speedy response. Yes we are considering the red eye as travelling during the day very rarely will get us into the area before 5pm. We would like to keep the hotel cost down to 150.-200. per night or less. Would we have public transportation to Manhattan from hotels new Cape Liberty or Newark airport?

If you can do 2 double beds, the Newark Penn Station Hilton has a Hilton Long Weekender rate for Oct 27-30 for $441 tax included for 3 nights. Both PATH to downtown and NJ Transit to midtown are available from Newark Penn Station, which is connected by a skywalk to the hotel. The Hilton has a free airport shuttle.

The Jersey City hotels are above your budget for those dates. Secaucus hotels in Harmon Meadow would be within your budget. You would have bus service to Port Authority Bus Terminal from there, but would have to pay for a taxi, car service or Uber to get there and back to the airport.

The problem with staying at an airport hotel is that it takes an hour+ to get into Manhattan and it costs $11.25-13/pp each way. From Newark Penn Station it costs $2.75 or $5.25/pp each way. There are also not a lot of airport hotels that offer 2 queen beds.

We are going on the Anthem March 23, 2019 sailing.We will come into Newark on Friday late morning (probably- since I have yet to book airfare) It will be myself, my wife and our two children (boy 15, girl 13). The loose plan would be to take the ferry (which the hotel provides a free shuttle) and just walk around Manhattan, 9/11 memorial, maybe take the subway uptown a little further towards Central Park. We were thinking just an afternoon and then jump back on the ferry and head back to Staten Island. I have checked out the trinity website which has been mentioned multiple times on this thread. It is an option, but I am more interested in hearing about experiences with these Staten Island hotels. I haven't seen much mentioned in this thread (lately) about them.

We are on this cruise also -- traveling with 2 boys ages 15 & 12 :)

First cruise out of Cape Liberty. Flying in from Chicago the day before the cruise March 2019 -- from what I gather on this thread I definitely want to fly in to Newark. Do you recommend staying near the airport - we are NOT planning to go into NYC or do any sightseeing in NJ pre-cruise, just a decent, affordable place to stay with easy access to the port area in the am. There are 4 of us.

What city should I focus my hotel search - and it sounds like Uber is the best way for hotel to port transportation?

Also, most ports I do not book a return flight before 11am - same for Newark? Or is a 9:30 flight doable if we walk off the ship with our own luggage?

What are your exact cruise dates? You definitely want to fly into Newark.

What is your "affordable" hotel budget for 4 people? One room? Bed size - 2 doubles, 2 queens, or king/queen + sofa bed? Are you traveling with kids?

There is no place to stay within 8 miles of the port. Given your requirements, an airport hotel is your best option. The airport is in Newark and Elizabeth. Three hotels offer port transportation - Embassy Suites, Country Inns, and the Ramada through trinityreservations.com.

Return flight time depends on your exact date. Definitely not 9:30. Maybe 11 if you self disembark.

What are your exact cruise dates? You definitely want to fly into Newark.

What is your "affordable" hotel budget for 4 people? One room? Bed size - 2 doubles, 2 queens, or king/queen + sofa bed? Are you traveling with kids?

There is no place to stay within 8 miles of the port. Given your requirements, an airport hotel is your best option. The airport is in Newark and Elizabeth. Three hotels offer port transportation - Embassy Suites, Country Inns, and the Ramada through trinityreservations.com.

Return flight time depends on your exact date. Definitely not 9:30. Maybe 11 if you self disembark.

2 adults, 2 Teens (15/12). I’m hoping for around $150 but if it included port transport I would pay more. Dates are 3/22-3/30 (cruise leaves 3/23). I did check trinity but it looks like they may not have everything available Yet? Would prefer 2 beds over a bed + pullout but we can make either work.

Thanks for your response! Much appreciated!

2 adults, 2 Teens (15/12). I’m hoping for around $150 but if it included port transport I would pay more. Dates are 3/22-3/30 (cruise leaves 3/23). I did check trinity but it looks like they may not have everything available Yet? Would prefer 2 beds over a bed + pullout but we can make either work.

Thanks for your response! Much appreciated!

The Ramada through Trinity for 3/22/19 is $200 tax included for a room for 4 people and round trip port transportation for 4. You will get 2 double beds.

This is a great deal. The main thing you need to know us that on your return, you will get shuttled to the hotel and then on to the P4 Airtrain station to connect to your terminal, so you need to allow enough time to do that.

The Ramada through Trinity for 3/22/19 is $200 tax included for a room for 4 people and round trip port transportation for 4. You will get 2 double beds.

This is a great deal. The main thing you need to know us that on your return, you will get shuttled to the hotel and then on to the P4 Airtrain station to connect to your terminal, so you need to allow enough time to do that.

So the P4 air train is to and from the airport then? Is that free? Do they offer free breakfast at the Ramada?

Have you used trinity in the past and are happy with the service? What time do they normally get you to port? My hubby likes to be there early enough that we can get on when they open the ship.

So the P4 air train is to and from the airport then? Is that free? Do they offer free breakfast at the Ramada?

Have you used trinity in the past and are happy with the service? What time do they normally get you to port? My hubby likes to be there early enough that we can get on when they open the ship.

The Airtrain is a monorail connecting all terminals, some of the rental cars, the pickup area, and the train station and it is free. When you fly in, you will have to take it to the P4 station to connect with the hotel shuttle. https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

No free breakfast at the Ramada. They have a restaurant and a very nice cafe where you can get something light for breakfast. Anthem will be awash with food starting at 11am.

I used Trinity at the Ramada 2 years ago and was very happy with it. I used their package that includes parking.

When you get to the hotel, you sign up for the shuttle with the Concierge. The shuttles left at 9, 10 and 11.

Edited by 138east

The Airtrain is a monorail connecting all terminals, some of the rental cars, the pickup area, and the train station and it is free. When you fly in, you will have to take it to the P4 station to connect with the hotel shuttle. https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

No free breakfast at the Ramada. They have a restaurant and a very nice cafe where you can get something light for breakfast. Anthem will be awash with food starting at 11am.

I used Trinity at the Ramada 2 years ago and was very happy with it. I used their package that includes parking.

When you get to the hotel, you sign up for the shuttle with the Concierge. The shuttes left at 9, 10 and 11.

Awesome information THANK YOU! Have you stayed at the Holiday inn trinity has packages for? Looks like for $221 you can get breakfast included plus the same for all 4. Any thoughts about 1 over the other?

Awesome information THANK YOU! Have you stayed at the Holiday inn trinity has packages for? Looks like for $221 you can get breakfast included plus the same for all 4. Any thoughts about 1 over the other?

The Holiday Inn is 3 exits away on the Turnpike. It does not cater to flyers. Reviews indicate some issues connecting with their airport shuttle. I have not stayed there and no one has posted about their experience at the hotel with the cruise package.

The Ramada is right by exit 14 on the Turnpike and is one of the closest hotels to the port.

The whole area is a highly industrialed urban area. With the exception of the hotels on International Blvd, there is no place to walk to from any of the airport hotels except perhaps a neighboring hotel. Hotels which offer free breakfast often have no other food service except delivery.

Newark Airport is not a vacation destination.

The Holiday Inn is 3 exits away on the Turnpike. It does not cater to flyers. Reviews indicate some issues connecting with their airport shuttle. I have not stayed there and no one has posted about their experience at the hotel with the cruise package.

The Ramada is right by exit 14 on the Turnpike and is one of the closest hotels to the port.

The whole area is a highly industrialed urban area. With the exception of the hotels on International Blvd, there is no place to walk to from any of the airport hotels except perhaps a neighboring hotel. Hotels which offer free breakfast often have no other food service except delivery.

Newark Airport is not a vacation destination.

You are like the Newark cruiser whisperer! No issues with the Ramada being next to a state prison!!?? :eek:

You are like the Newark cruiser whisperer! No issues with the Ramada being next to a state prison!!?? :eek:

Not at all for me. It's in an isolated cul-de-sac on the north side of the airport which is difficult to access, particularly by random foot traffic. In a highly urban area like Newark this is a big plus if you're leaving a car. The parking is gate secured and staffed 7x24. Airline crews come and go all night. Vehicle traffic has to go through the security gate. No one is wandering easily onto the property by foot. I also think that presence of the prison is a deterrent to folks up to no good.

Most if the reported problems at the airport have been on the west side near routes 1&9.

You would think by now reading this thread I'd have figured things out for what we're trying to do, but I have to admit, I'm still not completely sure, so hopefully someone can help.

Staying at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, and we're driving in from out of town, so we do theoretically have a car available for us if needed for part of this. Trying to figure out the best way to get into NYC. One day we're looking to start up near the Met, and the second day potentially heading to the Intrepid museum first. From what I've read, out best bet is to get to NJ Penn Station and go in from there? Generally I've seen suggestions on taking Uber, although I have to admit, I'm not necessarily a huge fan of Uber and Lyft in general, and definitely should probably avoid Lyft for right now (not really interested in explaining to my credit card that yes, the Lyft charges that hit my card yesterday were fraudulent, but no, the ones I'm doing next week are real). I see there's a parking garage at Penn Station, anyone know what the daily rate there is compared to the cost of getting there from Elizabeth?

And what exactly do we need to purchase to get into NYC from Penn Station, plus there's the possibility we might use a bus and/or the subway in NY during the time we're there.

Thanks.

You would think by now reading this thread I'd have figured things out for what we're trying to do, but I have to admit, I'm still not completely sure, so hopefully someone can help.

Staying at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, and we're driving in from out of town, so we do theoretically have a car available for us if needed for part of this. Trying to figure out the best way to get into NYC. One day we're looking to start up near the Met, and the second day potentially heading to the Intrepid museum first. From what I've read, out best bet is to get to NJ Penn Station and go in from there? Generally I've seen suggestions on taking Uber, although I have to admit, I'm not necessarily a huge fan of Uber and Lyft in general, and definitely should probably avoid Lyft for right now (not really interested in explaining to my credit card that yes, the Lyft charges that hit my card yesterday were fraudulent, but no, the ones I'm doing next week are real). I see there's a parking garage at Penn Station, anyone know what the daily rate there is compared to the cost of getting there from Elizabeth?

And what exactly do we need to purchase to get into NYC from Penn Station, plus there's the possibility we might use a bus and/or the subway in NY during the time we're there.

Thanks.

Could you provide the exact dates you are staying precruise at Embassy Suites? Which ship are you sailing on? Are you parking at the pier or at Embassy Suites for the duration of the cruise? If you're parking at a Embassy Suites, are you using their shuttle to get to Cape Liberty? Do you have a cancellable reservation at a Embassy Suites?