Dress Code

eliana

I second the two preceding posts.

There are plenty of floating theme parks for the sartorially-challenged.

Crystal, Regent or Seabourn are not theme parks.:eek: I think the well heeled American knows how to dress and stay current with fashion changes and a younger wealthier generation wanting to cruise but will not on a rigid dress code line such as SS. We dress for us in a tux but not for you and we don't care what others wear as long as they look presentable.

O dear!, it seems I must have touched a raw nerve. Maybe those who prefer the Regent and Seabourn dress codes should switch for at least one cruise to SS and vice-versa. Then we can all compare notes. We still intend to return to SS later this year and will not drink and dine in our suite, but adher to whatever is the dress code that day.

Eliana, I commend you for giving "old fashioned" luxury a try. We are from the Caribbean, where stereotyping would have us in Hawaiian garb (just kidding!), but we absolutely love to dress up for formal nights and enjoy interesting people dressed presentably. I'm sure you will find that dressing formally is quite cool!!

Eliana, I commend you for giving "old fashioned" luxury a try. We are from the Caribbean, where stereotyping would have us in Hawaiian garb (just kidding!), but we absolutely love to dress up for formal nights and enjoy interesting people dressed presentably. I'm sure you will find that dressing formally is quite cool!!

Dear Ithaca" I loved your comments. Let me come clean. On optional formal nights we generally wear a special dress and a dark jacket and tie and on New Year the tie is a bow one.

Edited by eliana

O dear!, it seems I must have touched a raw nerve. Maybe those who prefer the Regent and Seabourn dress codes should switch for at least one cruise to SS and vice-versa. Then we can all compare notes. We still intend to return to SS later this year and will not drink and dine in our suite, but adher to whatever is the dress code that day.

Hi eliana,

Your question seems perfectly decent to me! :)

This has been discussed many times, and perhaps predicatably whilst the views of those that favour elegant casual have been laid back on the topic, those that demand more formal have appeared less tolerant to other views. I would however urge you not to think that all SS cruisers who favour formal will be as rude or intolerant as some of those you see here. Most are lovely and are tolerant to reasoanble loosening of attire as long as you are clean and smart and they can dress as they wish. :D

With respect to the ships, we loved the two smaller ships Wind and Cloud, until we took cruises on the new (then) Shadow and Whisper and then felt them perfect and were unenthusiastic about returning to the smaller ones. Haven't seen Spirit but am turned off a bit by the comments.

Hope you choose the right thing for you - but don't get hung up on other people when making a choice is my advice.

all the best

Jeff

"Just out of interest Jeff, when did you last cruise with Silversea?"

Reasonable question asked in a reasonable manner.

"Just out of interest Jim, what business is it of yours?"

Reads a bit aggressive?

Yes I agree,I think Jeff has not cruised for many a long year but he used to and that's fine.

Thanks.

I think most of us are aware of Jim's constant baiting and bullying of those who hold a different opionion to his but in particualr his fixation on me and my opinions ..... for which I am always flattered.:rolleyes:

Only an idiot would choose to cruise on a line who they believe doesn't meet their own needs or personal preferences and in any event I'm not aware that Wind or Cloud or Whisper or Shadow has changed in size recently and so my preference about choice of these if I were choosing I guess is timeless, but thanks for the continued interestin me and my travels.

:)

Jeff

"Just out of interest Jeff, when did you last cruise with Silversea?"

Reasonable question asked in a reasonable manner.

"Just out of interest Jim, what business is it of yours?"

Reads a bit aggressive?

Because if you had followed his continued picking on me you would know he continues asking the same question and it is not a genuine interes but intended simply to ne harrassment.

That is why,

Jeff

Thanks.

I think most of us are aware of Jim's constant baiting and bullying of those who hold a different opionion to his but in particualr his fixation on me and my opinions ..... for which I am always flattered.:rolleyes:

Only an idiot would choose to cruise on a line who they believe doesn't meet their own needs or personal preferences and in any event I'm not aware that Wind or Cloud or Whisper or Shadow has changed in size recently and so my preference about choice of these if I were choosing I guess is timeless, but thanks for the continued interestin me and my travels.

Jeff

As always, really appreciate your insight and your posts!

The bottom line is no one's opinion will count regarding dress codes. It's the market that drives everything and if SS wants to court a younger demographic (which it most certainly does, the reason there are now so many seven day cruises) they will relax the dress code. Younger people simply do not want to pack a tuxedo for one two formal nights.

The bottom line is no one's opinion will count regarding dress codes. It's the market that drives everything and if SS wants to court a younger demographic (which it most certainly does, the reason there are now so many seven day cruises) they will relax the dress code. Younger people simply do not want to pack a tuxedo for one two formal nights.

You are right as they have to get younger demographics are they will go they way of Holland America

Have 2 formal and a few semi is fine but on a 11 day cruise Caribbean cruise to have 2 formal and 6 semi formal and 3 casual . What I found strange is on semi formal all you need to do is wear a jacket into the dining room. We are going on Spirit March 31 going to be interesting how many semi they have. Last time we went they had 2 4 and 4

I will take odds they loosen up the dress code.

eliana, I think you will enjoy Silversea despite some unkind comments made by a few posters. IMO, elderly men with "turkey necks" look worse wearing a tuxedo than wearing a sports jacket but that is just my opinion;)

. . . .

[snip]

Women really have no difficulty meeting the dress code on board but it is a bit more difficult for men. Having a dark suit and sports jacket seems to do the trick.

. . . . [snip]

1. I had to laugh a bit at your "turkey neck" comment, oh so true, though I don't think the 'pro-formal' comments by some posters have been unkind, just assertive :)

Note BTW it is not just men who might have "turkey necks" or otherwise look better in less formal attire. With some exceptions, however, most pax, even the very old, DO look quite lovely and "special" when dressed up. As stated in my prior post on this thread, DH and I try and avoid mandatory formal nights in MDRs, but I still enjoy looking at and studying people who dress up and who pull it off (I think the only attire DH notices at all is if someone looks obviously ridiculous, e.g., a heavily made up young woman in a faux-fur stretchy leopard-themed mini-dress, with super-high tottering heels, accompanied by a man old enough to be her grandfather, we saw at a SS cruise to the Grand Prix of Monaco).

Due to a combination of medication I must take, as well as tincture of time, I have my own "absolutely cannot wear" formal night struggles (nothing too tight or it may hurt, or the buttons may pop after the fourth course; only certain fabrics are tolerated or I will scratch or get a rash; nothing too warm or I will sweat, layers are needed; nothing that might make me fall and break a hip on my way to the loo, etc). I would love to once again be able to wear long evening gowns or clingy cocktail dresses made of whatever elegant material looks the best, or low-cut tops, plus some glittery precariously high-heeled evening sandals, but those days are prematurely over for me to attempt without looking silly and/or squirming and sweating in my seat. But almost everyone without major illnesses can still meet the basic requirements of formal night, if needed.

Oddly, most of the younger generations of affluent pax would look great in formal attire, as they are usually fitter and healthier (and, frankly, have better physiques) but they are usually the ones most opposed! Modern, well-paid techies in particular who are typically used to wearing T shirts and jeans (often with holes, like Steve Jobs) while working 60 plus hours per week hunched over keyboards and other electronics have no intention of worrying much about clothing unless they absolutely have to, in their limited vacation time, so they might not pick SS, if they think about cruising at all. The luxury Europa 2 I recently got off of is trying to get such people onto their ship (successfully, from what I could see), offering a resort casual tieless dinner dress code plus lots of "active" options (bicycling and hiking excursions at ports, big fitness center, etc.). This is likely the new demographics of luxury cruising, emphasizing elegant casualness, but these people sure looked great when they got gussied up for Xmas and New Years!

Definitely, as suggested earlier, people should try different lines to find what suits them overall. DH and I tried Regent once after SS seemed too formal, precisely because of the dress code, and felt comfortable with it, but the dress code was not enough to keep us there (we went back to SS for 3 more cruises, after buying DH a nice suit :))

4. However, until the rules are changed on SS or any other line with dress codes, I think it is reasonable that the existing rules of the SS line, and resultant expectations of the pax who choose SS for "formal" attire in certain venues (which is reasonable and doesn't even require tuxes), should be respected, as Eliana intends to do, as a sign of courtesy and respect to those pax. I see similar discussions on the mainstream forums that have formal nights, e.g., Holland America, where some pax love having the dress-up opportunity and resent having people admitted to the MDR who do not adhere. They do not want their special evenings made less special by having some guy in an untucked T-shirt spread with political messages on it sitting next to them, while they are wearing suit and long dress, even if the T-shirted guy has showered, does not stink, is "presentable" and might be interesting conversation.

I cannot see Silversea going the way of Holland America but they may go the way of other luxury cruise lines - eventually. Many people still dress up on other luxury lines - even though the dress code is more "Elegant Casual" or "Formal Optional".

Now that I've lived through the changes (on Regent) of going from "Formal", "Informal", etc., to "Elegant Casual", I would prefer a dress code that does not allow polo shirts -- just dress shirts. IMO, polo shirts are not elegant by any means. My DH wears long sleeved dress shirts with slacks on most nights and adds a sports jacket on "special" nights or when we eat in a reservation-only dining venue. When dining with an officer, he puts on a tie.

I don't think that anyone is looking for a sloppy dress code - nor one where people looked like trussed up turkeys. There is a happy medium -- even young people seem fine with that.

I cannot see Silversea going the way of Holland America but they may go the way of other luxury cruise lines - eventually. Many people still dress up on other luxury lines - even though the dress code is more "Elegant Casual" or "Formal Optional".

Now that I've lived through the changes (on Regent) of going from "Formal", "Informal", etc., to "Elegant Casual", I would prefer a dress code that does not allow polo shirts -- just dress shirts. IMO, polo shirts are not elegant by any means. My DH wears long sleeved dress shirts with slacks on most nights and adds a sports jacket on "special" nights or when we eat in a reservation-only dining venue. When dining with an officer, he puts on a tie.

I don't think that anyone is looking for a sloppy dress code - nor one where people looked like trussed up turkeys. There is a happy medium -- even young people seem fine with that.

I meant the loss of passengers due to aging .

Oh - okay - now I get it. However, since the oldest baby boomers are turning 70 this year, you would have a heck of a long wait as they can be cruising for the next 20 years!

Baby Boomers are the ones the Holland is trying to get. Was on Celebrity in December mostly Baby Boomers. Holland mostly pre Baby Boomers.

In my case as a Baby Boomer like to see more less semi formal but no polo shirts. I think you will see it sooner than later

I once got asked to leave the bar at Claridge's Hotel in London. Not because I was dressed improperly but because the lady I was with - the actress Jeanne Moreau - was wearing a trouser suit. I also remember visiting the actor Dirk Bogarde in his usual suite at the Connaught Hotel. He was wearing an open-necked shirt and jeans. After a while he went into his bedroom to change into a suit and tie, explaining that the Connaught gave him a complimentary room on the condition that he was seen in the lobby and the lounge each day. He had to dress accordingly.

How things have changed. You can dine at both hotels these days and not bother with a tie. You can even wear jeans. I'm sure there are some people who seriously resent the lapse into smart casual almost everywhere. I remember once rather resenting a family of Americans dining at a two-star Michelin hotel restaurant in London and they were wearing T-shorts and drinking Coke. I resented it but endured it.

I think that there are only two establishments in the entire UK that continues to insist on a jacket-and-tie for men - the Ritz Restaurant in London and Inverlochy Castle in Scotland. I wonder what the policy is nowadays at the dressiest place I have ever been to - the Cloister, Sea Island, Georgia - where teenage boys wore tuxedos for dinner.

And then there are cruise ships . . .

Edited by Fletcher

I wonder what the policy is nowadays at the dressiest place I have ever been to - the Cloister, Sea Island, Georgia - where teenage boys wore tuxedos for dinner.

Collared shirt required at dinner, no flip flops or swim attire at any time.

I I wonder what the policy is nowadays at the dressiest place I have ever been to - the Cloister, Sea Island, Georgia - where teenage boys wore tuxedos for dinner.

And then there are cruise ships . . .

This is what is so wonderful about instant communications in this day and age. You don't need to wonder. A simple phone call or e-mail could answer a dress requirement question and a prospective customer can determine whether or not this particular cruise line is one that would work for them. The cruise lines themselves could be more helpful by not using vague language like "resort casual"...what resort? club med? or "country club casual" which may be a regional term. Private clubs in my area always require a jacket and tie in the dining room for dinner...or suit. Perhaps public clubs are different. Simple wording followed by enforcement would quickly help a company to decide whether or not their business model was working and whether or not a change needed to be made. Comments by some about who does and doesn't look good dressed one way or another are amusing at best and rather condescending. Try to pick a company that best suits your needs rather than trying to force your needs on others who have chosen a company that best suits their needs as described by the company itself.

This is what is so wonderful about instant communications in this day and age. You don't need to wonder. A simple phone call or e-mail could answer a dress requirement question and a prospective customer can determine whether or not this particular cruise line is one that would work for them. The cruise lines themselves could be more helpful by not using vague language like "resort casual"...what resort? club med? or "country club casual" which may be a regional term. Private clubs in my area always require a jacket and tie in the dining room for dinner...or suit. Perhaps public clubs are different. Simple wording followed by enforcement would quickly help a company to decide whether or not their business model was working and whether or not a change needed to be made. Comments by some about who does and doesn't look good dressed one way or another are amusing at best and rather condescending. Try to pick a company that best suits your needs rather than trying to force your needs on others who have chosen a company that best suits their needs as described by the company itself.

I agree totally.

No one should book a cruise with a clearly defined dress code with the intention of not respecting it. They should book another line. Equally those that enjoy dressing up shouldn't show intolerance or rudeness to those that do not meet their preferences. Cruise lines should insist on their published standards being met and then those that enjoy dressing up should accept whoever is allowed in to eat because from then on any argument they have is with the line not the passenger. Good manners should pervade.

Personally, I don't think there is any doubt that societies generally are loosening dress standards as are cruise lines. C'est la vie. In time, nobs like me won't be confined to barracks on dressing up nights.

Jeff