Stop bringing non-service animals on ships

LMaxwell

Since businesses are too afraid to do anything about this growing problem, I wish people would be respectful enough to STOP bringing their pets on ships. You do a major disservice to people who genuinely require the assistance of a trained support animal and already have enough struggle in life. Your "fur baby" that is not a trained service animal does not belong on the ship, period. If you are too cheap to pay for pet boarding, don't take a cruise. If you can't handle being apart from your pet, work out that issue. You may think it is cute to push your dog in a stroller or dress it in an outfit, but the rest of us laugh at you, not with you. The crew is there to provide services to guests, not to clean up after your pets. Please be considerate of those with genuine needs and other guests. It's okay to leave your dog home, they'll go plenty bonkers when you return anyways. Pets in restaurants is particularly disgusting. I am an animal lover but there is a time and place, and a cruise ship is wholly inappropriate for your pets.

Well said, and thank you.

I have been in busy, crowded cllubs and restaurants where the dogs are frightened, tails between their legs and cowering. It's not fair to the animals.

I love my dog and take her many places that allow pets. As much as I love her and miss her very much when she isn't around I would not take her on a cruise even if I could. It wouldn't be fair to the dog. locked up in the cabin most of the time. Not allowed off the boat. Have to go in a little astroturf box. Its not fair to the dog and selfish of the owner.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to leave an animal alone in a cabin. I think they are allowed off in some ports, but you can't get off the ship and leave the animal behind.

I am all for allowing any dog on the ship as long as they are charged as an occupant and pays their gratuities. The workers have to clean up after these animals. I mean, we charge for babies so why not. Also, the same rules should apply in that if the dog is over 21 (in dog years) then they should be made to purchase the drink package as well if anyone else in the room purchases one.

I am all for allowing any dog on the ship as long as they are charged as an occupant and pays their gratuities. The workers have to clean up after these animals. I mean, we charge for babies so why not. Also, the same rules should apply in that if the dog is over 21 (in dog years) then they should be made to purchase the drink package as well if anyone else in the room purchases one.

Even if they charged for dogs, the last thing I would want to hear on a ship every time someone was walking down the hall to their cabin is a dog(s) barking. I also wouldn't want to be in a cabin after a dog was there. It's almost impossible to get rid of all the hair and dander after their gone.

I don’t travel with my dogs but it really wouldn’t bother me to see someone with there dog that someone thought they needed. Just be thankful that you’re not in a place in your life where you don’t feel the need. Of course this desire you have to figure out which dog is needed and what dog is getting over on the system might be another problem you have all to itself

Actually, I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to leave an animal alone in a cabin. I think they are allowed off in some ports, but you can't get off the ship and leave the animal behind.

You may be right about not being allowed to be left in the cabin. Either way it doesn't seem fair to the dog. I don't think people should bring their pets and pretend they are service dogs. I could be wrong but I do wonder how much of a problem this is as I don't see dogs that often.

Also, the same rules should apply in that if the dog is over 21 (in dog years) then they should be made to purchase the drink package as well if anyone else in the room purchases one.

As long as you don’t mind drunk dogs all over the ship.

Several thoughts:

I would never consider bringing my dog on a cruise -- he wouldn't enjoy it at all. A week of not being able to put his feet in the grass or have space to run? No, that's not my little fellow's life.

I don't think people who do this are trying to save money; they're just unreasonably attached to their pets and don't want to leave them.

If I were to make a list of problems on cruise ships, dogs wouldn't crack the top ten.

Doesn't matter which style, as long as they are dress dog pants.
Laughing from the UK. Love this cartoon. We only really have guide dogs here for partially sighted. No emotional support dogs. Maybe that will come. I am a dog lover but would never dream of taking my 2 Labrador Retrievers on a cruise.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I don’t travel with my dogs but it really wouldn’t bother me to see someone with there dog that someone thought they needed. Just be thankful that you’re not in a place in your life where you don’t feel the need. Of course this desire you have to figure out which dog is needed and what dog is getting over on the system might be another problem you have all to itself

SIMPLE! If the dog is well behaved and sits under tables or quietly at foot of owner = trained service animal.

If the animal is in a doll outfit or pushed in a stroller or being carted around by an emasculated man and calling it a fur baby = pet. This isn't "another problem" I have all by itself. People are CLEARLY gaming the system due to the fact that they are 40, 50, 60, 70 years old and can't stand to be away from Fifi, can't handle being told no, are self-entitled, or just plain too cheap to pay for pet care while away. Their actions are plainly obvious to so many. It is not fair to true service animals and not fair to the people who need service animals. If a $250 per person deposit is not enough (I did not say disabled people, or those with animals, charge it to EVERYONE) then make it MORE. I'm not concerned about getting my money back for leaving a mess. All the "we prepay gratuities" people wouldn't balk at laying out another $500++.

I don't even want the scenario of bringing a pet if you pay for it; NO PETS.

Recently on the harmony we experienced a 'cute little dog' at our table at lunch in mdr.

The owner was a little put out when I choose to leave a seat between me and the dog. She then proceeded to feed it off a plate from the table.

We saw them in Coastal Kitchen a few times also

And... this was the third cruise in a row.

I feel that people take advantage of the service dog allowance also which is unfortunate for those with a real need.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Even if they charged for dogs, the last thing I would want to hear on a ship every time someone was walking down the hall to their cabin is a dog(s) barking. I also wouldn't want to be in a cabin after a dog was there. It's almost impossible to get rid of all the hair and dander after their gone.

Agree about not allowing any old flea bitten mutt on a ship no matter the price. But what makes you think someone's flee bitten mutt wasn't in your cabin before you. :mad:

Recently on the harmony we experienced a 'cute little dog' at our table at lunch in mdr.

The owner was a little put out when I choose to leave a seat between me and the dog. She then proceeded to feed it off a plate from the table.

We saw them in Coastal Kitchen a few times also

And... this was the third cruise in a row.

I feel that people take advantage of the service dog allowance also which is unfortunate for those with a real need.

Wow I'm not a confrontational person but I would have said something in that case. How incredibly rude and inconsiderate.

Royal's policy regarding service animals seems pretty clear.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=service_animals

Excerpt:

"Guests are responsible for the behavior or damage caused by their service dog. A cleaning fee may be charged to the guest's shipboard account.

If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include: growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc."

I am a dog lover, and until Monday we had 2 dogs ( we lost our Basset Monday morning ) but also think it's a huge problem. It's ridiculous how easily people can get a 'support animal' certification and then bring their animals everywhere. On a cruise, if I was at a table where someone had their dog with them I'd ask to be moved.

I don’t have a service dog, I don’t have an emotional support dog, heck, I don’t have a dog. Or cat. Or any animal. I have allergies and I lived upstairs from two not-allowed-at-the-apt-complex dogs who were “service dogs”.

During that time I became quite knowledgeable of the ADA, and I learned a ton about what service dogs do and how they act.

We ended up moving bc the management wasn’t willing to do what they were legally allowed to do.

I'm on board Oasis as we speak and they have listed a group on board, Paws with a Cause, there have been a lot of dogs on board but these are real service animals. All large dogs, most some kinda of lab or lab mix and very very well behaved with service vests.

All you’ve seen are the larger breed dogs. Why don’t you talk to people about the real smaller breed service dogs that are out there? They exist. They have a purpose. They don’t always wear vests. You might learn interesting things about how service dogs don’t all wear vests and aren’t all labs.

If you are pushing a dog in a stroller, or it's stuffed in your purse,it is NOT a "service animal". Service animals are working...and are identified by the vest they wear. Kudos for service animals.

Not true at all. Except for the kudos part.

SIMPLE! If the dog is well behaved and sits under tables or quietly at foot of owner = trained service animal.

If the animal is in a doll outfit or pushed in a stroller or being carted around by an emasculated man and calling it a fur baby = pet.

You don’t have a handle on service animals.

Not all are trained from birth.

Not all are dealing with human issues where lying at the foot of the human is useful.

Not all are big.

Not all are owned by people who can carry them or deal with leashes.

Little dogs can get very tired walking all day with their humans.

A carrying device doesn’t mean they aren’t service dogs.

Small animals get cold.

Many people dress their smaller dogs to keep them from being cold.

The choice to dress a smaller dog in something cute doesn’t negate the good the dog might be doing.

As for the whole emasculated man thing. That’s either anti man or anti woman and I’m not sure which. Might be both. Men are perfectly allowed to have small dogs and it doesn’t make them less of a man to carry them or to put cute clothing on the animal. Didn’t make my father MORE of a man to have Malamutes, either.

And service animals don’t even have to be trained in obedience.

If we ran across a shivery yippy applehead chihuahua that could sense my husband’s blood sugar changes, we’d find it clothes to stay warm, keep it close to DH (which might involve carrying it or having it in a wheeled conveyance, and be happy about it.

If my son’s one febrile seizure had actually been a seizure disorder and we had found some crazy little dog that could sense an oncoming seizure and alert him so he could stay safe, we wouldn’t care one bit how YOU might react to it.

Please remember that a medical alert dog doesn't have to be a large dog. Since my dog smells for changes in my blood sugar, it is sometimes hard to stop her from sniffing other people. She has alerted on other people(neighbors) when she detects a high level or low level of blood sugar.

Yep.

On radiance, I saw a dog in a stroller all dressed up for formal night.

At least they should write a law requiring the service animal be licensed.

I’m glad that the dog was warm in that cold MDR.

There is no national service dog license or registry.

I’m fine with that. I don’t want to make the lives of people with disabilities harder or more expensive. Just my own philosophy.

On radiance, I saw a dog in a stroller all dressed up for formal night.

At least they should write a law requiring the service animal be licensed.

Yep, I saw it once as well, ridicules.

If my son’s one febrile seizure had actually been a seizure disorder and we had found some crazy little dog that could sense an oncoming seizure and alert him so he could stay safe, we wouldn’t care one bit how YOU might react to it.

I would be glad that you were able to find a trained service animal to help your family out. Also, not a pet. So don't electronically wag your finger in my face; I'm on YOUR side.

I love my dog and take her many places that allow pets. As much as I love her and miss her very much when she isn't around I would not take her on a cruise even if I could. It wouldn't be fair to the dog. locked up in the cabin most of the time. Not allowed off the boat. Have to go in a little astroturf box. Its not fair to the dog and selfish of the owner.

☝️This. Thank you. I’m a huge animal person, they outnumber the humans in my house. I foster about 30 puppies every year. I can’t imagine asking my dog (pet) to spend 7 days on a ship. Real service animals are a different story. Pets, no way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a dog lover, and until Monday we had 2 dogs ( we lost our Basset Monday morning ) but also think it's a huge problem. It's ridiculous how easily people can get a 'support animal' certification and then bring their animals everywhere. On a cruise, if I was at a table where someone had their dog with them I'd ask to be moved.

I agree and condolences from one dog lover to another!