Is Luminae Really An Upgrade Over Blu?

Lightngsvt

I certainly agree about how good Luminae is….but read Silkroad's post below, with his experience on an "M" class ship in Aqua, which was my point. Apparently they can't handle Aqua guests let alone adding in the mix of some suite guests...…...I don't know about the "caste" system statement, but certainly with Blu being much smaller on "M" class ships all Aqua guests should be given priority over any suite guest. What I think doesn't matter, Celebrity will do what they want, but it's how I feel.

I DO agree with your statement that they need to staff accordingly....perhaps if that was done on all ships this conversation would be moot.

I'm aware of the issues as Silkroad and I have conversed before about the same issue we both experienced. I assume by 'caste' system they mean 'class' system.

I can't be sure but I'm sure I have read somewhere that Elite and above CC members take priority if there is a wait list for the MDR. Maybe Blu has the same policy but I genuinely don't know. I really wouldn't like to speculate how suite pax fit in because I strongly suspect it depends on the individual Blu maitre 'd amd if the suite pax bothered to make a reservation beforehand.

Just wondering what other Celebrity passengers think, do you think Luminae is better than Blu? Having sailed in both Aqua and Suite, Im not sure that Luminae is worth an upcharge (suite cabin) over Blu (Aqua cabin). Personally, I've had exceptional service in both, great food and drinks in both and plenty of variety in both. The atmosphere in Luminae is a bit warmer and a touch more upscale, but Blu is very nice and feels a bit more "modern". I believe they are on par with one another where food is concerned. Considering Luminae also will server MDR food I think this brings it down a notch (not that there is anything wrong with the MDR food), though you can get MDR items in Blu if you ask (at least with soups and app's). What is your opinion?

Needless to say, dining preference is quite subjective. Yesterday I came off a B2B on Equinox, one week in Luminae and one week in Blu. For me, while there were one or two standout dishes in Blu, I really didn't care for either the food or the atmosphere in Blu. Over the past 10 months I've spent a bit over 6 weeks in Luminae on 3 ships, so have the menu fairly well committed to memory and look forward to an update in the coming months, but the mix of ingredient flavors and spices used in Luminae far better fit my palate than those in Blu.

I'll post more of my thoughts in my trip report, but I don't care for Blu's visual design nor am I one who enjoys the decibel level present in Blu--and admittedly in several very popular and quite fine landbased restaurants these days.Service wise, while dinner proved pleasent enough--other than the endless patter of waiter recommendations (twice i attempted to stop one then realized it was easier to sit thru the show then order as planned)--breakfast, with the absurdly specialized water, coffee, juice servers who dare not communicate with one another, I found to be pretty poor.

Blu seems to rely on massive amounts of butter and, especially in the soups, huge serving sizes, neither of which endeared it to me.

On land i eat vegan, while at sea I move to vegetarian/pescatarian. Luminae's menus, as well as the ability to go off menu and even off-off menu to chef's choice of Indian dishes, provide me with welcome flexibility. Aside from the occasional overly enthusiastic group table, or too many hard-of-hearing tablemates all leaning far back from their plates and yelling at one another ( not uncommon in Luminae or Michael's on some trips) Luminae provides the sort of staid atmosphere that I prefer.

Thus for me, moving forward I'll know that if I'm not traveling in a suite I'll most likely want a multi-night specialty package.

We've cruised twice and got to enjoy Luminae.....we are headed for our third time...yes it is THAT GOOD...BUT I am a pedestrian eater and do not eat fish- so they would I would ask for the Blu menu and sometimes ordered off that....sometimes I would have an appetizer as an entree..like a risotto......so suite guests can order Blu food in Luminae... without taking up Blu space. :)

Bernadette

Seems reasonable. I think many of you Blu diners are remembering the days before the introduction of the Luminae for suite guests, when the Blu was overwhelmed at times.

I cannot imagine that there would be much of wait for a table more recently, but I would admit that it is only an observation and not a recent experience.

No, based on our BLU experience going to dine early.....There are more line back ups than there were before Luminae. Applies to S and M Class ships, and after AQ suites were made reg suites on Reflection.

Many folks pick the prime times to arrive, to get to the shows or whatever the reason. .Service is slower these days..less staff, causing things to back up..and by the time we are leaving most all tables are filled with a line at the door .

We dine early at home and on the ship and go just before it opens.. There is usually a short line. .but at least we get a nice table and service started before the lines develop. Almost always a very good to excellent experience. Love the decor and non fussy menu

EDGE has now re designated some Concierge staterooms as AQ class so we are hoping thus will not make it too crowed..Hoping it will be fully staffed!

Needless to say, dining preference is quite subjective. Yesterday I came off a B2B on Equinox, one week in Luminae and one week in Blu. For me, while there were one or two standout dishes in Blu, I really didn't care for either the food or the atmosphere in Blu. Over the past 10 months I've spent a bit over 6 weeks in Luminae on 3 ships, so have the menu fairly well committed to memory and look forward to an update in the coming months, but the mix of ingredient flavors and spices used in Luminae far better fit my palate than those in Blu.

I'll post more of my thoughts in my trip report, but I don't care for Blu's visual design nor am I one who enjoys the decibel level present in Blu--and admittedly in several very popular and quite fine landbased restaurants these days.Service wise, while dinner proved pleasent enough--other than the endless patter of waiter recommendations (twice i attempted to stop one then realized it was easier to sit thru the show then order as planned)--breakfast, with the absurdly specialized water, coffee, juice servers who dare not communicate with one another, I found to be pretty poor.

Blu seems to rely on massive amounts of butter and, especially in the soups, huge serving sizes, neither of which endeared it to me.

On land i eat vegan, while at sea I move to vegetarian/pescatarian. Luminae's menus, as well as the ability to go off menu and even off-off menu to chef's choice of Indian dishes, provide me with welcome flexibility. Aside from the occasional overly enthusiastic group table, or too many hard-of-hearing tablemates all leaning far back from their plates and yelling at one another ( not uncommon in Luminae or Michael's on some trips) Luminae provides the sort of staid atmosphere that I prefer.

Thus for me, moving forward I'll know that if I'm not traveling in a suite I'll most likely want a multi-night specialty package.

All I can say is wow. Most of us are not in your position to be able to book suites. I have booked inside to Aqua Class. I have always enjoyed our food. Options are available. I book out cruises based on the itinerary. This is the most condescending review I have ever seen. I am happy for you and your ability to book a suite. Most of us do not have this option. Your experience is different from most of us. I am really offended by this. I am sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All I can say is wow. Most of us are not in your position to be able to book suites. I have booked inside to Aqua Class. I have always enjoyed our food. Options are available. I book out cruises based on the itinerary. This is the most condescending review I have ever seen. I am happy for you and your ability to book a suite. Most of us do not have this option. Your experience is different from most of us. I am really offended by this. I am sorry.

Wow, I think you are on the wrong thread. This thread is about whether upgrading from Aqua to a suite to get Luminae is worth the price. cmhdoogalsatsea was only giving their opinion of Luminae vs Blu to answer the OP's question, not bragging that they are in a suite. Not sure how your comment helps answer the OP's question.

If you're offended by a forum member offering his opinion in response to another forum member who asked for it I suggest you either stop using cruise critic or seek professional help for your issues.

I also suggest you have a long hard think about what this extremely useful internet resource is actually for. :)

When you dine in luminae, the tables aren’t as close as when you dine in Blu. So in addition to food being better, the service and table placement affords you much more room. As suites are bigger, so is The seating area much more spacious and private.

I recall instances in blu where I felt like all the tables for two were on top of each other and Not really tables for two. Still more comfortable then the MDR. Given the option, we would book a balcony over aq and dine in specialty restaurants, if suites weren’t in our budget

Another diff if it matters to anyone...you will see few children in BLU due to cabin capacity limit of 2 guests per...Suites have no limit as far as I know.

BLU has few large tables...some round ones and a large banquette along the rear wall.(M) These attract larger groups who tend to be loud.. There are other threads about large groups in both Luminae and Blu so not a differentiating factor.

But other than large or loud groups, we do not mind the tables being close together in BLU and it has a clean Blue and white decor and nice views...hope EDGE BLU is the same.

Another diff if it matters to anyone...you will see few children in BLU due to cabin capacity limit of 2 guests per...Suites have no limit as far as I know.

BLU has few large tables...some round ones and a large banquette along the rear wall.(M) These attract larger groups who tend to be loud.. There are other threads about large groups in both Luminae and Blu so not a differentiating factor.

But other than large or loud groups, we do not mind the tables being close together in BLU and it has a clean Blue and white decor and nice views...hope EDGE BLU is the same.

I agree about Blu's décor, we thought it very pleasant. There are also at least 2 tables for two in the center part of the room that are very private on "S" class ships. On our 1st cruise in Aqua on Solstice we had one of them for all 7 days. Very nice.

Luminae's table are far enough apart to be truly private, but close enough to converse with the next table if you wish....we've met some great people that way.

When you dine in luminae, the tables aren’t as close as when you dine in Blu. So in addition to food being better, the service and table placement affords you much more room. As suites are bigger, so is The seating area much more spacious and private.

I recall instances in blu where I felt like all the tables for two were on top of each other and Not really tables for two. Still more comfortable then the MDR. Given the option, we would book a balcony over aq and dine in specialty restaurants, if suites weren’t in our budget

The two tops in the MDR on M class ships are at least as close as the two tops in Blu.

Yet no one ever complains about that on here for some reason. :confused:

The two tops in the MDR on M class ships are at least as close as the two tops in Blu.

Yet no one ever complains about that on here for some reason. :confused:

True. But you pay much less for cabins and dining in the MDR. You pay significantly more to dine in blu. And even more for suites and the ability to dine in blu. The blu cabins are balcony cabins with a few perks. IMO dining in blu shouldn’t cost much more then dining in regular balcony cabins. Perhaps a fair amout to pay shouldn’t be more then $30 per couple per day

True. But you pay much less for cabins and dining in the MDR. You pay significantly more to dine in blu. And even more for suites and the ability to dine in blu. The blu cabins are balcony cabins with a few perks. IMO dining in blu shouldn’t cost much more then dining in regular balcony cabins. Perhaps a fair amout to pay shouldn’t be more then $30 per couple per day

So just pay for a regular balcony cabin and dine in the MDR if that is your choice, These are just purchasing decisions for all passengers booking cruises. Pay for what you want. Like everything else in life.

So just pay for a regular balcony cabin and dine in the MDR if that is your choice, These are just purchasing decisions for all passengers booking cruises. Pay for what you want. Like everything else in life.

We typically take an all inclusive specialty restaurant package. We also book sky suites and above so we have breakfast in Luminae and an occasional lunch when open. Based on our 30 plus Celebrity Cruises, at least 6 in AQ I am sharing my experience and opinions. Of course each person has to make his or her own decisions. I believe AQ is clever marketing on celebrities part.

We typically take an all inclusive specialty restaurant package. We also book sky suites and above so we have breakfast in Luminae and an occasional lunch when open. Based on our 30 plus Celebrity Cruises, at least 6 in AQ I am sharing my experience and opinions. Of course each person has to make his or her own decisions. I believe AQ is clever marketing on celebrities part.

Yes AQ seems to be clever marketing as it is always sold out. At least AQ gets some spa benefits and gets BLU. I don't understand Concierge Class though. More money for no perks and no dedicated restaurant, but you get to use a concierge on board.

Yes AQ seems to be clever marketing as it is always sold out. At least AQ gets some spa benefits and gets BLU. I don't understand Concierge Class though. More money for no perks and no dedicated restaurant, but you get to use a concierge on board.

We generally like the position of the C1 rooms--often booking an aft facing

The embarkation lunch is nice, as is the bottle of sparkling white, the fresh fruit daily.

The savories are meh-- but appreciate the gesture.

We have used the onboard concierge to rectify a dining issue which was not being satisfied by GS

We enjoyed the cocktails with officers on the helo pad as well

Have booked an AQ for a TA thinking the spa thermal will be nice to use on the sea days. And we are looking fwd to trying Blu

Normally we find the position of the AQ cabins awkward

I agree with you about Concierge Class...we did it once and thought it was a waste of our money.

AQ may be clever marketing BUT we came BACK to Celebrity after 7 years strictly because of it and I suspect many others did too. When we sailed on Solstice in 2010 Blu was such a breath of fresh air from the noisy crowded MDR. Still like Blu and if we weren't able to sail in a suite we would ALWAYS opt for Aqua...it's worth the extra $$ for us....just a FAR better dining experience, especially if you don't care to go the specialty restaurants which we don't.....

Typically the price difference between balcony and c2 or c3 slightly more then balcony. You get additional cc points bringing you to a higher status sooner.

Well, yes, but if you are 1000 points away from Zenith and over 60 the chances of EVER reaching Zenith are pretty much nil...making those extra points meaningless...….

I agree with you about Concierge Class...we did it once and thought it was a waste of our money.

AQ may be clever marketing BUT we came BACK to Celebrity after 7 years strictly because of it and I suspect many others did too. When we sailed on Solstice in 2010 Blu was such a breath of fresh air from the noisy crowded MDR. Still like Blu and if we weren't able to sail in a suite we would ALWAYS opt for Aqua...it's worth the extra $$ for us....just a FAR better dining experience, especially if you don't care to go the specialty restaurants which we don't.....

We were also getting ready to jump ship...MDR too noisy, crowded, hectic...then they introduced AQ class & BLU...it was made for us.. Ambiance in BLU, menus, open dining times, great breakfasts...so much better than the MDR herd. And we also have the Persian Garden, upgraded shower....priority embark etc

We do miss the daily bottled water.

Would like to try a suite and Luminae some yime but sems just out of reach, plus BLU more simple menu fits us better,.

Sorry, I didn't see any condescension in that review. The individual clearly has a special dietary requirement as well as a subjective opinion on some dining. The vegetarian diet is a bit unusual, but not snooty. I have found that as I age, I eat less meat, especially beef. I now prefer chicken and fish.

The fact that some people have the financial ability to book suites is no big deal. Let them enjoy that. We have done a suite once and Aqua Class once. We don't feel that the upgrade is worth the cost and are happy in a veranda and dining in the MDR. Your experience and other's experience may not be the same, just have the flexibility to accept what other people choose.