Rhapsody - oldie but goody

We have cruised mainly on newer ships in recent years but were very attracted to last weeks itinerary on the 20 year old Rhapsody. So pleased we went for it. The itinerary turned out to be wonderful. We loved every port. Sailing out of Venice was spectacular and Dubrovnik, Kotor, Santorini were all as good. What we weren't prepared for was the outstanding service, friendly and all round great crew. The food was good. The Diamond Concierge, Ghivago was the best ever. As we are Diamond plus we could have used the CL but it didn't compare to the DL. In all our years of cruising (27) we have NEVER been waved off at disembarkation by the Captain and senior officers. Yes, really, they were at the gangway and said goodbye to everyone as they left. This is one happy ship and it comes all the way down the chain of command. They all seem to enjoy their jobs, no moans (yes, we've all heard the stories about hard they work, and they do!) just lovely smiley faces and offers to help with anything you want. Our room attendant Alvin was requested to acquire a needle and cotton for some running repairs, not only did he do that he wanted to do the sewing as well! So well done Rhapsody crew, you are a shining example of how to keep your guests coming back over and over again.

Thanks Bob. You probably don't remember but way back when we booked this cruise I asked advice about PV cabins and you gave me some good advice. It was the best alternative to our usual balcony and we spent so much time in port and in the DL that we didn't miss it at all.

Thanks Bob. You probably don't remember but way back when we booked this cruise I asked advice about PV cabins and you gave me some good advice. It was the best alternative to our usual balcony and we spent so much time in port and in the DL that we didn't miss it at all.

Certainly glad that advice worked out!:D

We have cruised mainly on newer ships in recent years but were very attracted to last weeks itinerary on the 20 year old Rhapsody. So pleased we went for it. The itinerary turned out to be wonderful. We loved every port. Sailing out of Venice was spectacular and Dubrovnik, Kotor, Santorini were all as good. What we weren't prepared for was the outstanding service, friendly and all round great crew. The food was good. The Diamond Concierge, Ghivago was the best ever. As we are Diamond plus we could have used the CL but it didn't compare to the DL. In all our years of cruising (27) we have NEVER been waved off at disembarkation by the Captain and senior officers. Yes, really, they were at the gangway and said goodbye to everyone as they left. This is one happy ship and it comes all the way down the chain of command. They all seem to enjoy their jobs, no moans (yes, we've all heard the stories about hard they work, and they do!) just lovely smiley faces and offers to help with anything you want. Our room attendant Alvin was requested to acquire a needle and cotton for some running repairs, not only did he do that he wanted to do the sewing as well! So well done Rhapsody crew, you are a shining example of how to keep your guests coming back over and over again.
So glad to hear about Rhapsody and the crew, glad you had a wonderful time. Will be doing a B2B on her next April!:D

Thanks for posting. Rhapsody was the first ship we ever sailed and that trip to Alaska hooked us on cruising. We are returning to her next summer for a bucket list B2B going to both Santorini and Mykonos.

Rhapsody holds a special place in my heart. What a great ship! Thanks to her, my now husband is addicted to cruising(even after 8 years in the Navy). Glad to hear she's going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

what's not to love? beds, not racks. no standing watch at oh stupid thirty. alcohol on board. Mid rats that are edible. eggs that didn't start off life in powder form. coffee that doesn't taste like JP5.

our very first cruise was less than 2 weeks after mr spook came back from 8 months Haze Grey. HE is the one that made the appointment on board to book another one.

Great to here your review of Rhapsody..... we're sailing on her this summer.... what was the entertain onboard like and did you book ship excursions or private ones at each port

The entertainment was ok. We don't go for production shows so can't comment. There was a singer in the genre of Frank Sinatra and a comedian/juggler. The entertainment in the centrum was very lively and there seemed to be a party atmosphere every night. There was a reggae type band who were great. They played by the pool and in other areas. As for excursions, we did our own thing. If your itinerary includes Katakolon you can take a bus to Olympus village for 3 euros. If you are going to Santorini and want to take the boat to Oia, get off as early as possible. When you arrive by boat you are met by a bus to take you to the village. It is IMPORTANT to tell the bus operator what time you want to go back as you can only go back to Fira by bus, not boat. We fully intended to take the cable car back down but somehow found ourselves on the steps so carried on. This is not for the faint hearted. I'm sure there are a million steps and every one has donkey doo on it. Between dodging the donkeys ( they are not led along, they just put you up there and take off) and making sure you don't slip, it was not an experience I could recommend. And believe it or not people were walking UP. Talk about heart attack hill.

I am glad to read this. I just booked her for next summer for our 25th anniversary. I wanted a smaller ship for the Mediterranean after sailing a mega ship.

We also had Alvin! He was wonderful! I used to call him Alvin the Chipmunk. He is a great guy.

I just booked that sailing over the weekend.

--signed the over excited American looking forward to finally being outside of her continent.;)

Fantastic! My wife is over the moon as well! Looking forward to meeting you all on board. My cousin and his wife are also joining us on this voyage...