From the cow kings to an Empress, Norton goes on a little Sojourn

Time to pull the suitcases from hibernation and start packing for a little Sojourn. I have to Shanghai myself before heading off to a meet and eat with the king of cows in Kobe.

I am reluctant to correct your lovely play on words, Emperor Norton, but wouldn't "king of cattle" be more appropriate, as Kobe meat is from bullocks (steer or castrated bull);)

Have a lovely cruise, I hope that the pool deck has finally been repaired:o

You are correct. My mind wandered to an alleged easter egg from something in the past. I wonder if I can report the post to get the title changed.:confused:

Darn.

Note: Use this form to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts. Please note: we cannot fix typos, grammatical errors or add to/edit your posts.

The airport itself nice and modern. The traffic each way was horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Forget the traffic, take the train.

The airport train is unbelievable, when my wife and I were there in 2016, we took the local train from "The Bund" where Sojourn was docked out to Pudong station in the suburbs, just so we could ride the "Maglev" train out to the airport and back.

The train accelerated to its maximum of 431 kmph (268 mph). The only real impression of speed was when we passed a train going the opposite way at the same speed.

We found the station staff were eager to help a couple of "Gweilo" toirists

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_maglev_train

Pre-cruise I like to quaff some libations that will hopefully keep wee beasties away.

A little something that I haven't found available on any line (yet)

i-rWN59Hp-L.jpg

My favorite rendition of a Bloody Mary (it has Sangrita in it)

i-BTXF3wP-L.jpg

Something else I can't quite get on the ship

i-ZKwHR3V-L.jpg

Because it's travel related - a Sidecar

i-SdtCh8r-L.jpg

I should put this in before the actual travel parts start -

This is all my opinion. I'm not being given a free trip in exchange for exposure. There is no special discount nor do I expect special treatment based on what I may or may not feel like saying. This will be my 7th cruise on Seabourn. It will only be my second on an Odyssey class ship. I even lost the GTY lottery. Again.:eek:

This seems like a good place to stop until the travel starts.

i-MrC9zNp-XL.jpg

this was a servers idea of a joke - I did not create the mess

Quote:-

"A little something that I haven't found available on any line (yet)"

Emperor Norton, Guinness is available on Seabourn, not Draft, but in a can with the "widget" you just have to ask for it, unopened, and pour it yourself.

Also Seabourn usually have some other heavy brown ales available for the asking.

i-rWN59Hp-L.jpg

I should put this in before the actual travel parts start -

This is all my opinion. I'm not being given a free trip in exchange for exposure. There is no special discount nor do I expect special treatment based on what I may or may not feel like saying. This will be my 7th cruise on Seabourn. It will only be my second on an Odyssey class ship. I even lost the GTY lottery. Again.:eek:

This seems like a good place to stop until the travel starts.

i-MrC9zNp-XL.jpg

Can you please tell what you mean by losing the GTY lottery?

I was picked up early and arrived at the airport very early. I had to wait an hour for the counter to open. Security was interesting as I’d forgotten that cameras now count as laptops. Oops.

I’m in the China Airlines lounge (shared with China Eastern who shares my flight with Delta). I think for SFO Virgin Atlantic has the best of the international lounges. There’s a separate room for first class that has couches instead of chairs. I’m not finding any public electrical outlets but did find a new to me beer. 19 or more hours and I should be in Kobe.

a708d323e0c0d34e4f32266f2344ed4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was too early for this

i-5bndTBM-XL.jpg

Which meant cooling my heels. Oh joy. Eventually we could check in, deal with the security theater (take out anything with a li-ion battery now) and were up high enough to see my house. Well may be if the clouds weren't in the way.

i-gZpnQvs-XL.jpg

I'm not sure if this is my snack or a descriptor for some of my coworkers.

i-d5gvp92-XL.jpg

This was supposed to be a vodka ginger ale but I couldn't taste the vodka (that theme would continue with other mixed drinks from them).

i-ZjZhLj5-XL.jpg

Amuse Bouches that for my tastes weren't overly amusing.

i-kmrP9c4-XL.jpg

I'd opted for the Chinese dining option rather than the rather ho-hum looking Western options.

These were my appetizers (scallops, salad, jello beef with beef bits, pork soup with cartilage and pickled carrots)

i-ZCKssNf-XL.jpg

The pork soup with mystery somethings.

i-HwpZcdf-XL.jpg

My entree - beef noodles with fatty brisket, tendons, scallions, hot chili oil and a hot chili pepper. While not spicy enough for me I did feel the tingle of heat from the first bite through dessert.

i-QtGgxLb-XL.jpg

Fruits in various stages of ripeness

p><p>Cheese please (the FAs didn

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZXqVFBn/0/2d9d4962/XL/i-ZXqVFBn-XL.jpg' alt='i-ZXqVFBn-XL.jpg'>

Dessert

i-t7Kb5Vr-XL.jpg

The ice cream even had its own secret spoon/paddle/thing.

i-X58WdGN-XL.jpg

There really was nothing in the way of service after the meal service ended. It was a case of track someone down and ask for what you wanted.

It's not much, but I prefer it to congee.

i-RtFFJVM-XL.jpg

After getting thermally scanned in China and Japan as well as having my "lighters" examined I got into Japan.

Emperor have a good trip. That is interesting that Nelson is onboard. Friends who were very recently on Odyssey said he had been doing his bar tendering there. Seabourn must have known you were missing him.

Julie

Emperor have a good trip. That is interesting that Nelson is onboard. Friends who were very recently on Odyssey said he had been doing his bar tendering there. Seabourn must have known you were missing him.

Julie

Curiouser and curiouser as Alice said. We were on Quest from Monte Carlo to Barcelona, which finished on 2 May and he definitely remembered, and poured, my pre-dinner JW Black with a splash in the Sky Bar most nights and then went on to serve wine in the Colonnade. Maybe Seabourn has found a way of cloning him, given his devoted following

Edited by stamfordian
Corrected typo

Curiouser and curiouser as Alice said. We were on Quest from Monte Carlo to Barcelona, which finished on 2 May and he definitely remembered, and poured, my pre-dinner JW Black with a splash in the Sky Bar most nights and then went on to serve wine in the Colonnade. Maybe Seabourn has found a way of cloning him, given his very high popularity levels ;p;p

I meant Quest and got it wrong. :(

Say hello to your lovely wife, who told me where Nelson was. :)

Julie