Water cartons are here! At least on Solstice

cruisestitch

Penn and Teller did a BS Show using tap water. They filled all bottles with tap water and asked people to sample and rate the different bottles. As expected they would choose the one labled tap water as the worse and undrinkable but rated the others as would buy with some better than the others. When told the truth many were very angry about being made fools of and feeling that they were insulted.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Too funny. And if they sold the same water for $2.00 per bottle and $3.00 per bottle, people would buy the $3.00 water, thinking it MUST be better. It's all in the advertising.

Penn and Teller did a BS Show using tap water. They filled all bottles with tap water and asked people to sample and rate the different bottles. As expected they would choose the one labled tap water as the worse and undrinkable but rated the others as would buy with some better than the others. When told the truth many were very angry about being made fools of and feeling that they were insulted.

Happy cruising [emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji560]

They also did one that explains how recycling is actually worse than throwing everything away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Last night at dinner wait staff asked us to sign up for water tasting class for 30.00 per person, and then something about a wine/food pairing class would be comped if you did the water tasting. Of course my husband signed up for it without getting more information, wait staff came back saying water tasting was sold out [emoji848]. Our account shows 180.00 in charges for 3 people? Hoping to get some more information and to remind my husband not to sign up for things unless he knows what it is [emoji849].

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Water tasting class? The fact you were charged incorrectly for the food/wine pairing was irrelevant to the ridiculousness of a water tasting class. Although, if your husband was just doing the math and wanted the discount for the food/wine pairing, it was a good idea.

Much less expensive as I recall.

Plastic is in almost all products today. Less cost, lighter, easy to manufacture, and no rust, etc.

Perhaps a better solution would be to find a better way to recycle the plastic bottles that switch back to cardboard. If needed change the plastic composition but keep the plastic bottles.

We are on Equinox next month. Do they still have Evian?
Yes, they still have Evian & Pellegrino. In the spa they had actual spring water in plastic bottles. On the 4th night there was a mix of aluminum bottles & plastic spring water bottles in the theater.

I don't think many people who were drinking the water with additives noticed anything was added. I did see several people walking around with their large glass bottles of Evian from their rooms.

Yes, they still have Evian & Pellegrino. In the spa they had actual spring water in plastic bottles. On the 4th night there was a mix of aluminum bottles & plastic spring water bottles in the theater.

I don't think many people who were drinking the water with additives noticed anything was added. I did see several people walking around with their large glass bottles of Evian from their rooms.

So Evian is in glass bottles now? Wonder how that works around the pool. I wouldn’t think they would allow glass.

Do they add anything to the spring water? I was on the Equinox last week, they are using aluminum cans of filtered water with 3 different kinds of salt added. [ATTACH]426578[/ATTACH]

How did it taste..? How does it differ from the current bottled water on board in terms of salt content, if you know?

Evian...glass or bottles, -is an extra charge if one is not on the upgraded drinks package that presently includes water...so not an option for many.

Definitely bringing my own....where I control the product,

I use to drink only the tap water on ships. However when I started using bottled water I no longer had swollen feet. After a few days they were very swollen. I usually drink 2 bottles of water a day and of course use the ship water with ice tea and coffee. Limiting the ship's water works.

There have been many posts and threads about this over the years...some say it isn't so to the bloating believers, but I for one always puffed up and gave up the ship's water years ago...Result: No bloat!

How did it taste..? How does it differ from the current bottled water on board in terms of salt content, if you know?

Evian...glass or bottles, -is an extra charge if one is not on the upgraded drinks package that presently includes water...so not an option for many.

I didn't taste it, I don't drink filtered water when I have better options available. "Spring water" should not have anything added. Most filtered waters also do not have anything added, they must need the additives to be in the aluminum bottle.

I have had the boxed spring water at home. Nothing was added to it, and it tasted fine. IMHO.

I know people say the taste tests for water are bologna, but I am picky about water. If it has a taste, I don't like it. I live in Florida and our water tastes terrible. I will drink it after it runs through a Zero Water filter. My kids have given me Dasani, Aquafina, Zephyrhills, tap & filtered water. I can tell them which is which. Publix spring water is good too, I am fairly sure it is Zephyrills. So if you are taking water on the ship, Publix SPRING water (not drinking water) is usually a decent price and is available near the Florida ports.

The bottled spring water at the spa was just water.

How is that possible? Especially for metal products?
You'd have to watch it. They did say that metal is good to recycle because the value is more than the cost of recycling it. For paper, it was that it costs more to recycle than using virgin pulp and since the paper industry actually replants whole forests to turn into more paper in the future, it's a renewable resource and an industry that wants more trees to grow. For plastic, there's almost no value in selling recycled plastic, costs alot to collect, transport, sort and process it. And uses alot of energy to do all that which is bad for the environment. Plus they said 40% of recycling ends up just being thrown in with regular trash in the end.

Personally I recycle cans, glass and plastic but when I first saw this thread, the first thing I thought about was that Penn and Teller show that says the only true value recycling has is to make people feel good. I thought Celebrity did a great job with recycling and doesn't have to collect and transport it like municipalities. So to me, changing to cartons is just trying to make people feel good without really helping. And I'm a left-wing liberal.

I'm still stuck on that cap. Will that plastic cap get recycled? If it just gets thrown out with the rest of the carton, isn't that worse than throwing a fully plastic bottle (with cap) in the recycling bin?

I didn't taste it, I don't drink filtered water when I have better options available. "Spring water" should not have anything added. Most filtered waters also do not have anything added, they must need the additives to be in the aluminum bottle.

I have had the boxed spring water at home. Nothing was added to it, and it tasted fine. IMHO.

I know people say the taste tests for water are bologna, but I am picky about water. If it has a taste, I don't like it. I live in Florida and our water tastes terrible. I will drink it after it runs through a Zero Water filter. My kids have given me Dasani, Aquafina, Zephyrhills, tap & filtered water. I can tell them which is which. Publix spring water is good too, I am fairly sure it is Zephyrills. So if you are taking water on the ship, Publix SPRING water (not drinking water) is usually a decent price and is available near the Florida ports.

Thanks for all the info...We buy water at Publix when we are in Fl...whatever is on sale! I prefer Fiji but usually not on sale.

There have been many posts and threads about this over the years...some say it isn't so to the bloating believers, but I for one always puffed up and gave up the ship's water years ago...Result: No bloat!

Me too! And, having worked in a clinical lab setting for 20 years, I definitely understand how reverse osmosis is supposed to work -- there should not be a grain of salt in any of water, coming out of the taps. And yet -- even with scrupulously watching what I ate, and requesting low-sodium preparations -- I blew up like the Hindenburg, on every cruise. Until we got the premium drink package perk -- and drank Evian & San Pel, for that cruise. Verdict: NO bloat! :cool:

The issue with these cartons are that because of the waterproof coating they are not recyclable or biodegradable. They will hang around for almost as long as plastic

Well,you are wrong. I worked in a paper and board mill for over 37 years,any these containers ARE biodegradable,and recyclable....think of school milk and juice cartons.......:D:D

Well,you are wrong. I worked in a paper and board mill for over 37 years,any these containers ARE biodegradable,and recyclable....think of school milk and juice cartons.......:D:D

Thank you for the additional insight on this, as I Am sure many do not know or understand this aspect of these types of containers.

Also, some, out loud, questioned the speed, if at all, of new containers for water.

Well, they are here and now.

bon voyage